PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

spikydurian
03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Bangkok Post had a write up on the Worlds.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/286360/chan-favourite-at-f-skating-worlds-wagner-aims-for-top

Rafter
03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/27/cam-cole-patrick-chan-has-a-long-way-to-go/

Here's an article a friend sent me. Sounds like Colorado is getting stale for Patrick. He mentions spending more time training in Toronto next year.

spikydurian
03-28-2012, 02:13 PM
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/27/cam-cole-patrick-chan-has-a-long-way-to-go/

Here's an article a friend sent me. Sounds like Colorado is getting stale for Patrick. He mentions spending more time training in Toronto next year.
As Christy had said in an interview, 'it's lonely training in Colorado'. Two more years to go before Sochi so it makes sense for him to spend some time back home in Canada/Toronto with his friends and families in between trainings. This young man needs a life too. :) It may also provide him more opportunities to promote the sport among the younger generation in Canada.

Bournekraatzfan
03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
He's so right Patrick's skating is beyond scoring,(that's right naysayers)It's about just sitting back, enjoying and watching the history and a legend unfold. ...

:respec::respec::respec:

Bournekraatzfan
03-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the links, VarBar, spikydurian, and Rafter.

In the article Rafter posted, the following confused me:

"The tone isn’t one of envy, when Kurt Browning speaks of Patrick Chan, but it is not exactly a chummy “welcome to the club,” either."

From what I have read and heard, Kurt does seem to be extending a warm welcome. After Patrick's brilliant SP at the 2009 Canadian Championships, Kurt seemed to marvel at his abilities, calling that program one of the best short programs he'd ever seen in his life. IMO, Kurt seems to think that Patrick has already achieved greatness, and will only continue to push himself and the sport.

Anyways, it is great to read such praise from skaters who have played a significant role in shaping the sport not just in Canada, but internationally.

jettasian
03-28-2012, 06:32 PM
New article on Chan re: Abbott's comments.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/in-bid-to-defend-world-title-chan-finds-motivation-in-us-rival/article2382439/

Chan is a lot more complimentary about Abbott than Abbott is towards Chan.

No kidding! World record holder is more humble than someone who has not proved himself at big stage yet despite several tries.

sequins
03-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Thank you for the links, VarBar, spikydurian, and Rafter.

In the article Rafter posted, the following confused me:

"The tone isn’t one of envy, when Kurt Browning speaks of Patrick Chan, but it is not exactly a chummy “welcome to the club,” either."

From what I have read and heard, Kurt does seem to be extending a warm welcome. After Patrick's brilliant SP at the 2009 Canadian Championships, Kurt seemed to marvel at his abilities, calling that program one of the best short programs he'd ever seen in his life. IMO, Kurt seems to think that Patrick has already achieved greatness, and will only continue to push himself and the sport.

Anyways, it is great to read such praise from skaters who have played a significant role in shaping the sport not just in Canada, but internationally.

I don't get that either. Kurt has always expressed admiration and support for Patrick, and seems 'chummy' with him as well. He certainly 'welcomes him to the club' IMO. Since it's not a direct quote I think it's Cam Cole's less than stellar 'observation'.

Rafter
03-29-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/SEG005.HTM

Terrible start order for Chan.

DFJ
03-29-2012, 03:54 PM
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012/SEG005.HTM

Terrible start order for Chan.

If Chan comes out and skates clean, the start order won't matter. He'll be miles ahead (as usual). If he doesn't, anyone's game. I love it! Rooting for PC, but everyone else as well. :)

Skittl1321
03-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I think Chan can make the best of that start order. It is possible it will just be terrible for those who have to skate after him.

jettasian
03-29-2012, 05:01 PM
The link doesn't work? I don't see the order at all, and I've been checking all day...

jettasian
03-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I think Chan can make the best of that start order. It is possible it will just be terrible for those who have to skate after him.

I think it's a bad draw for Chan. If he does well, other competitors such as Abbott and Dai, will go for broke (they have nothing to lose). If Chan doesn't do well, they may go for more conservative route, such as not attempting the quad since theirs are not consistent. They will go for a safe and clean program.

So yeah, not a good draw.

bluestocking
03-29-2012, 09:51 PM
So approximately what time will Patrick be skating?

Emdee
03-29-2012, 10:04 PM
As Patrick says you only have control over your own skate.Hope he goes all out and has a great skate.

If he leaves the door open - some of the later skates will be so excited that they may fall through it instead of skating through it.

GO PATRICK

Skittl1321
03-29-2012, 10:48 PM
I think it's a bad draw for Chan. If he does well, other competitors such as Abbott and Dai, will go for broke (they have nothing to lose). If Chan doesn't do well, they may go for more conservative route, such as not attempting the quad since theirs are not consistent. They will go for a safe and clean program.

So yeah, not a good draw.

If it was a free program draw, I'd agree with you. But I don't think the same logic of 'going for broke' applies to a short program. They are either already planning those elements or they will play it safe regardless of Chan. If they 'go for broke' when they weren't already planning to, they could screw themselves over for the free. Same with holding back- even if Chan does do a poor short, they can't count on not needing a lead for the long. They are going to stick to their plan for the short.

Now, if he drew that in the free, exactly what you said would happen.