PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Bournekraatzfan
03-26-2012, 09:44 PM
I completely agree! I think there is a different between criticizing someone's lack of expression than calling something soulless. I love Patrick Chan's movement and while in my opinion he could have a bit more facial expression, I definitely think he has a lot of soul in his skating along with most of the other top skaters. I don't think someone could dedicate themselves so deeply to something if they didn't put their soul into it.

well said:)

spikydurian
03-26-2012, 10:53 PM
just want to say that I'm happy and thankful to be part of this thread, and I wish Patrick and all the skaters the best of luck this week! and I hope everyone here enjoys the event:)
Count me in!
All the best to Patrick and the other skaters. Let's enjoy these talented athletes' skating. They all have worked so hard to get to the Worlds. We all may have our favourites but that doesn't mean we cannot appreciate the talents of other skaters.

elle123
03-27-2012, 02:59 AM
just want to say that I'm happy and thankful to be part of this thread, and I wish Patrick and all the skaters the best of luck this week! and I hope everyone here enjoys the event:)

Ditto!

VarBar
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
He also had a poor practice before his 4CC 2009 SP, according to Browning. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En_0IfMQTWU)

Let Patrick get all the bad skating out of his system in practice and let him skate well in competition.:D

Here is Patrick practicing in Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_YUIH7gzM4&list=UUhFvf2yFEq82mRJXIhAQG-A&index=7&feature=plpp_video

Maybe it would be worth checking that video channel once in a while as I remember the uploader also taped Patrick - and a few other skaters - with their personal camera in Moscow last year, while practicing/running through his programs or sitting in the crowd and watching other competitors.

clarie
03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
I hope he breaks both his previous records this year. (maybe hit 300) :)

ali_dorate
03-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Here is Patrick practicing in Nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_YUIH7gzM4&list=UUhFvf2yFEq82mRJXIhAQG-A&index=7&feature=plpp_video

Maybe it would be worth checking that video channel once in a while as I remember the uploader also taped Patrick - and a few other skaters - with their personal camera in Moscow last year, while practicing/running through his programs or sitting in the crowd and watching other competitors.

Thank you! This user gave us lots of vids of Patrick.
Great skating as always.
He looks relax and fine despite the jet lag.
Go Patrick!

Rafter
03-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Just read Abbott's new article, wow, what a tool. He's full of himself to think that he and Chan are at the same level.

I just read the article you are talking about. I guess Jeremy is trying to pump himself up (with a little PR on the side). I think he's delusional if he thinks that he's on the same level as Chan in every PCS category. Chan has far more speed and power than Abbott and much better edge quality. I also think Chan edges Abbott in TR. Choreography is subjective as is IN. One skating around looking all angsty and pretentious as in Abbotts LP does not necessarily make his IN better.

Rafter
03-27-2012, 03:16 PM
New article on Chan re: Abbott's comments.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/in-bid-to-defend-world-title-chan-finds-motivation-in-us-rival/article2382439/

Chan is a lot more complimentary about Abbott than Abbott is towards Chan.

elle123
03-27-2012, 07:00 PM
New article on Chan re: Abbott's comments.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/in-bid-to-defend-world-title-chan-finds-motivation-in-us-rival/article2382439/

Chan is a lot more complimentary about Abbott than Abbott is towards Chan.

I think despite all his success and accolades, Patrick is very well grounded and humbled and you can tell how much he respects his follow competitors - even if that sentiment isn't always reciprocated!

Maybe it's easier to be more complimentary when you're at the top :)

The Accordion
03-27-2012, 08:31 PM
“He’s such a great skater,” Chan said of Abbott, who he used to train with. “He moves so well and he jumps really well. Obviously, he has the same technical skill that I do. He has a quad. He can do Axels. And the way he can weave the program together and do a jump after a complicated transition, it’s really interesting to see someone of that calibre.”

Bournekraatzfan
03-27-2012, 10:34 PM
I think despite all his success and accolades, Patrick is very well grounded and humbled and you can tell how much he respects his follow competitors - even if that sentiment isn't always reciprocated!

Maybe it's easier to be more complimentary when you're at the top :)

I agree, Patrick does respect his fellow skaters as we can see in this article and in the 4CC press conference. And I have noticed that he seems to be well-liked among his fellow skaters, and Brian Orser called him a 'friend to everyone' or something like that at Canadians 2012.

Regarding Jeremy's comments, he did acknowledge that Patrick has great basics, calling them some of the best in the world (albeit in an interview in which it appears that the main point he was trying to make was that Patrick was overscored):

Jeremy Abbott said this about PC:
Asked what Chan -- who triumphed at the 2011 World Championships by more than 22 points, and handily won the recent Grand Prix Final despite two falls -- does to keep the judges in such thrall, Abbott paused.

"I have no idea," he said. "I admire the quality with which he skates; the control and his edging and his speed are phenomenal. I think in terms of skating skills, he's definitely one of the top in the world. But I definitely think he has things that are lacking.

"They break out the [program] components into five pieces, but they all kind of judge them without separating them out, so maybe Patrick has a 10 in skating skills and lower in interpretation, but they all stay in the same range.

"He is the world champion and the Grand Prix champion, and he just scored 9,000 points at Canadians, so he is definitely the favorite for worlds. But he's not unbeatable."

I have long felt that Abbott was not given credit for the areas of PCS he excels at because he lacked the speed of the top competitors, and though I think he is finally being rewarded this season, I imagine that when he made these statements he was frustrated at the judges' habit of not always differentiating between PCS categories (and this is something I have noticed across the disciplines). I don't think he meant to put down Patrick's skating. and while I don't think he can beat a clean Patrick, I have no problem with his most recent remarks--you have to believe you are the best to be the best:)

Having said that, I think Patrick is such a complete skater, and while I feel Daisuke and Jeremy are more musical skaters, I certainly do not perceive IN to be a weakness of Chan's. I sometimes wonder if some of his critics only focus on his face and forget about what the rest of his body is doing. While I, like jenny12, would sometimes like him to do more with his face, I don't see how anyone could watch his whole body and think that he is disengaged. He has really worked on building/strengthening his connection to the audience this year, and I think that work has paid off in dividends. I agree with Proustable, CA "unlocks Chan as a skater." In this program, he is responding to the music like never before and I can't wait to see it this week.

Go Patrick!:cheer:

VarBar
03-27-2012, 11:46 PM
How good is Chan?

"I almost don't want to watch him because it's too depressing. It's too good," Cranston said.

"Patrick Chan has literally with Kurt, Elvis, Brian, me he's literally left us buried in the dust. There has never really been anything like him. What he is is the absolute quintessential mixture of artist and sportsman.
http://www.570news.com/sports/article/344969--how-good-is-patrick-chan-he-is-the-full-package-say-skating-stars

Enjoy the rest of the reading.:)

elle123
03-28-2012, 01:10 AM
http://www.570news.com/sports/article/344969--how-good-is-patrick-chan-he-is-the-full-package-say-skating-stars

Thanks, VarBar! I wonder why Elvis is so hard on Patrick (that's how I interpret his comments -- and not particularly based on this article but an aggregate of all the comments he has made about Patrick) ... what more does he want him to do? haha

elle123
03-28-2012, 01:12 AM
deleted

sequins
03-28-2012, 03:21 AM

Ahhh...Toller. Last I read from Toller he was so down on skating, negative about watching it and the new judging system, so to read this warms the heart. He's so right Patrick's skating is beyond scoring,(that's right naysayers)It's about just sitting back, enjoying and watching the history and a legend unfold. Can't believe he considered retiring, what we would've missed.

As for Elvis, and I was a big, big fan of his when he skated, since then not so much. His ongoing 'comments' continue to turn me off but I guess that's about as complimentary as he gets.