PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

VarBar
03-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Patrick has the best depth of edges in the business of any skater today, IMO. And I happen to be an uber US figure skating fan but let's give credit where credit is due. If I can sit at home in front of my tv & be awed by his edges he must be absolutely breathtaking to see skating live.

Could Patrick's amazing depth of edges be explained by that he is a CoP skater?:lol:

Patrick with the level he has now would be very strong competition to any of the men who won multiple world titles and Olympic medals under the 6.0 system. I'm afraid no other current skater would. Patrick is not just a CoP skater IMO.

Nice to see this thread being so active in the past few days, it was almost dead up until some time ago and I couldn't understand why.:confused:

Btw, I agree with Proustable that we should leave other skaters out of the conversation and just focus on Patrick.:)

jettasian
03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Okay, I'd rather we didn't namecall other skaters in this thread.

I only mentioned it because it's Chan related.

Sylvia
03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Well, I appreciate the skills and talents of both skaters, and don't agree with your name calling/characterization of Abbott who is known to be respectful of his fellow skaters.

ponta1
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Well, I appreciate the skills and talents of both skaters, and don't agree with your name calling/characterization of Abbott who is known to be respectful of his fellow skaters.

Exactly. Just because it's a Chan related/uber thread, doesn't make it appropriate to namecall other skaters.

walei
03-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Please keep the discussion about Patrick. Personal attacks add nothing. :(

Just to be clear I think Chan is a terrific CoP skater, indeed, he is the poster boy for the new scoring system.

I'm sorry but the if he continues to skate like he did at Canadians and 4CC, Chan wins in ANY system including 6.0

He is not only a terrific CoP skater, he is a terrific skater period.

jettasian
03-21-2012, 08:47 PM

Eh, this is not the first Abbott mentioned about Chan. He whined about his mark, that he didn't get what Chan got at his Nationals. He also implied that Chan's weak in other fields but the PCS marks didn't reflect that. I'd not call that as "known to be respectful for his fellow skaters".

clarie
03-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Clarie
will you be going for Canadians and World next year?

I saw Patrick at the Margaret Garrison show last year. We had on ice tickets and it was amazing to see him a few feet away. I dont know if he is skating there again this year - maybe tempting to go and see him.

Oh, I was close but not that close. Lucky you. He just flies, doesn't he! I would love to go to Worlds next year but I don't think I will be able to swing it. :(. I don't know when I'll get a chance to see him live again.........big screen is pretty good though and may have to do.:) Looking forward to next week and wishing Patrick good luck and great skating.

Looking forward to all the "uber's" comments during the comp.

jenny12
03-22-2012, 01:56 AM
On another note - I have to say I am SICK of people calling anyone's skating souless. Really what an arrogant presumption to make that you have the right to say someone is soulless just because you are not moved!

I completely agree! I think there is a different between criticizing someone's lack of expression than calling something soulless. I love Patrick Chan's movement and while in my opinion he could have a bit more facial expression, I definitely think he has a lot of soul in his skating along with most of the other top skaters. I don't think someone could dedicate themselves so deeply to something if they didn't put their soul into it.

Sylvia
03-22-2012, 02:17 PM
New article on IceNetwork: Power up! Chan ready to take apart worlds field (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120321&content_id=27477082&vkey=ice_news)

jettasian
03-22-2012, 06:00 PM
I hope Chan doesn't get the pressure into him too much...don't want him to choke at world...

Regardless of the outcome, for next season, maybe it's better not to win everything. I mean, the more you win, the less motivated you will get, the higher expectation you will get and the more pressure as well. Besides, no one can win them all, all the time. Lose some, win most would be great :lol:

professordeb
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Eh, this is not the first Abbott mentioned about Chan. He whined about his mark, that he didn't get what Chan got at his Nationals. He also implied that Chan's weak in other fields but the PCS marks didn't reflect that. I'd not call that as "known to be respectful for his fellow skaters".

Hmmmm .... then maybe it's called "respectful of fellow skater without the last name of Chan" and if he wants Chantastic scores, they he'd better up the technical ante of his programs. When he can land a single quad clean let alone multiple ones in a program I might be more inclined to believe he's got it so bad. Sheesh, he's in the top 10 in the world at his "profession" isn't he? Most of us could only wish to be top 100 in our professions. Tell him to build a bridge and get over himself if he really think's he's that hard done by.

Lurving me Patrick!!!

spikydurian
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
New article on IceNetwork: Power up! Chan ready to take apart worlds field (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120321&content_id=27477082&vkey=ice_news)

Thanks Sylvia. I didn't know that Patrick is good with his hands as well with an IT bent.
Certainly remaining on the top of the game is so much harder than reaching the top. Hope he perseveres and stay motivated. I am sure Canada and fans alike would love to see him skate till 2014 and hopefully end it with something nice before retiring to studies.
Take care Patrick. Always supportive of you. Stay happy and healthy.
And sleep early if you have a practice the next day! :P

VarBar
03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
I hope Chan doesn't get the pressure into him too much...don't want him to choke at world...

Regardless of the outcome, for next season, maybe it's better not to win everything. I mean, the more you win, the less motivated you will get, the higher expectation you will get and the more pressure as well. Besides, no one can win them all, all the time. Lose some, win most would be great :lol:

Not sure Patrick hasn't had his best practices lately because he feels the pressure of having to defend his world title. From what I heard, he had such a disastrous LP practice at 2010 Worlds that he made Browning and the director of Skate Canada pull him aside and ask him what on earth was wrong with him. However, he skated for silver that night and Patrick today is a far more evolved skater than the one we saw in 2010 IMO. Then, he was less than impressive in the LP practice in Moscow too but you wouldn't have known it because he made just one mistake in competition. With Patrick you never know. lol

I wouldn't mind Patrick losing a few competitions either so long as he keeps retaining his world title.:lol:

Nice post, spikydurian.:)

Thank you to Sylvia for the link.

elle123
03-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Not sure Patrick hasn't had his best practices lately because he feels the pressure of having to defend his world title. From what I heard, he had such a disastrous LP practice at 2010 Worlds that he made Browning and the director of Skate Canada pull him aside and ask him what on earth was wrong with him. However, he skated for silver that night and Patrick today is a far more evolved skater than the one we saw in 2010 IMO. Then, he was less than impressive in the LP practice in Moscow too but you wouldn't have known it because he made just one mistake in competition. With Patrick you never know. lol

I wouldn't mind Patrick losing a few competitions either so long as he keeps retaining his world title.:lol:

Nice post, spikydurian.:)

Thank you to Sylvia for the link.

I remember hearing that Patrick had horrible practices during 4CC. Granted, he didn't have his best performances but still impressive regardless. I think Patrick is a very well trained athlete.

Proustable
03-24-2012, 12:32 AM
He also had a poor practice before his 4CC 2009 SP, according to Browning. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En_0IfMQTWU)