PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

paskatefan
11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
The first time we saw him in person was at 2007 Skate America in Reading, PA. I was very impressed then, and even more so now. I do feel that he has been overscored a number of times (margin of victory), and have been puzzled over certain wins (considering the falls), but over all is still a joy to watch.

clarie
11-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I like his short program because he skates it so well and don't mind seeing it again. Take 5 is the kind of rythmic soft jazz I like......very easy to listen to. I think it's a bit late for him to change it now, but I remember reading that he will have 2 new programs next year, etc.

Emdee
11-22-2011, 01:10 PM
This was an extra tough year for Patrick due to late worlds followed by a number of exhibitions and shows.

I has on ice seats for the Ontario Skate awards show ( cannot recall actual name) and was speechless as he flew across the ice. I am looking forward to seeing him in the GPF so hope he has all the kinks over by then.

I love his Aranjuez program -- gives me goose bumps. I know that he skated through the music sometimes with POTO but I think he really feels the music and story line here.

crystalice
11-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Im happy to join this uber thread. :D:cheer2:

Ah.. your evil sense of humor... :rollin:

Bev Johnston
11-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Hurray for this thread!! I can finally come out as a Patrick Uber!

I am sick of defending him to the haters. It's such a relief to read the CORRECT opinions (lol) of other Chan lovers.

I love his Take 5 SP. I haven't fallen in love with Aranjuez yet, but I'm sure I will.

Go Patrick!!

Debrah
11-22-2011, 05:55 PM
As some wise person once said "It's not how you start, but how you finish" that is key!

Patrick as a new world champion, is merely taking a page out of the Russian and practically every new world champ play books; they all count on the benefit of the doubt and earned PCS + politiking, general fan buzz, to hold them up during the GP season.

Most elite skater types doing only enough to ensure they qualify for the GPfinal.

But all these champion types will tend to ramp up and prepare properly for the GPF and their expected placements relative to each other and some may do more to fuze any forward momentum they have garnered for the rest of the season. You can bet that all will also incrementally increase training again for the major, remaining comps.

Undoubtably Patrick will be his true warrior self, completely ready and fully prepared (technically and artistically) to defend his title at worlds, esp if last season and his trajectory then, over the course of the season, is anything to go by.

His work ethic is insane, so I am not concerned, I would be more worried if he was as perfect as he was last April. I want Patrick healthy and injury free when it counts, and honestly, Patrick at half capacity is still better than the rest of the field going on full tanks and all gunning just for him. The judges can make it look like a contest by keep scores close in the SP, but it is the LP than separates the boys from the men and that is where Patrick will continue to shine and be glorious, due to his superior conditioning and flat out, uber talent.

Yeah, it sucks sometimes to see our heroes lose some luster in the early season, and when I was a younger, not so savy skating fan, I would worry and stress than my favs were going to blow it big time and not be able to defend. I would wonder why they did not all come out fully prepared, the simple answer being that most champs do not have to; they mostly all have a big buffer to carry them to victory, even for what is considered for them to be a sub par skate.

Unless their particualr discipline is extremely competitive, that brief respite from full out, uber training, is what their bodies deserve to keep them in tip top form, or at least as injury free as possible. That crucial time out was earned over the previous years run up to glory; so less stellar performances in the early season, from the really elite skaters will continue to be a fact of life, and this is not likely to change. Unless of course the discipline itself, becomes much stronger, and thus far more competitive at the top. The year before, and year of, OLY, are the 2 exceptions to the rule, since GP momentum while it may be more critical for those pushing to the top, only the truly great and confident champs can afford to be cautious, or less stellar at start up events, as who wants to risk injury esp in a run up event like a GP, and thus take selves out of punching a ticket to the big Sochi show?

Patrick earned the right with his practically flawless, record breaking skates at last year's worlds, to take it a bit more easy on his body during this season's grand prix events. We fans still get treated to a great show of his superlative skating skills despite a few glitches here and there, and when he's not sick like he was at TEB then he is usually up very quickly and back into the program, so minimal disruption. But even on his worst day, weak from fighting flu, etc., he is still proves himself better than 90% of the rest of his field, he is smart and talented enough, to do just what is necessary to get the job done.

I actually see an improvement from last season esp in terms of his artistry, and he is also far more experienced at keeping his head when an unexpected mistake happens...

Can you tell I adore Patrick's skating?

P.S. I don't mind him changing only 1 program every season, since his are the most complex, it stands to reason, that it takes 2 full seasons of competing them to bring them to complete potential. I like the new LP costume and agree that a costume change for the programs he does keep would be a smart way to keep them fresh...

doubleflutz
11-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know if he's going to be skating in any of Yuna's shows when the season is over? Things she's involved in always seem to have the best production values.

allezfred
11-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Patrick! A really great skater and what's more a really nice with a fantastic sense of humour. :cheer:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Panties-for-Patrick/229751790425560 :D

clarie
11-22-2011, 07:41 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl: That's a hoot....I wish I were going to the GPF. I hope they show it on TV............Patrick will surely get a big kick out of it.:lol::lol::lol:

Nekatiivi
11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Before I haven't liked Chan at all, but this season I suddenly found myself really adoring his skating. :swoon:

Go Patrick!

Skittl1321
11-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Before I haven't liked Chan at all, but this season I suddenly found myself really adoring his skating. :swoon:

Go Patrick!

Me too- I'm definetly not an uber, but I finally "get it". I defended his scores to a friend this weekend. She rewatched the program and saw what I finally saw- he never stops skating. He doesn't telegraph anything, he doesn't take dance breaks. All his emotion is while he is doing difficult transition footworks. He doesn't need to stand in place to story tell (or catch his breathe).

I can forgive more mistakes now that I see that he is really really going for it.

Skittl1321
11-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Patrick! A really great skater and what's more a really nice with a fantastic sense of humour. :cheer:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Panties-for-Patrick/229751790425560 :D

Is THIS why my rep status is now "throwing panties at patrick"?

And do people actually do that? Because that is hysterical, and weirdly makes a lot more sense than stuffies...

Proustable
11-23-2011, 01:20 AM
The first skate I saw from Chan was his 4CC 2009 SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBW8TsHGTsM).

Been a fan ever since.

walei
11-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Is THIS why my rep status is now "throwing panties at patrick"?

And do people actually do that? Because that is hysterical, and weirdly makes a lot more sense than stuffies...

Yup it happened at Skate Canada this year and Patrick actually was pretty amused by it even pointed out to his coach in Kiss n Cry. I think he said, his life long goal is now fulfilled now but then said ewww he doesn't want it when his coach asked him if there was a number on it. :lol:

The Accordion
11-23-2011, 07:53 AM
P.S. I don't mind him changing only 1 program every season, since his are the most complex, it stands to reason, that it takes 2 full seasons of competing them to bring them to complete potential. I like the new LP costume and agree that a costume change for the programs he does keep would be a smart way to keep them fresh...

^ This!
There is only so much time in a skater's training and skaters have to choose how to spend it.

I don't mind AT ALL if he keeps a program for more than a year since it allows him the time to work on everything he can do brilliantly.

LOVED LOVED LOVED seeing his long program at Nats last year. I have watched a LOT of skating in my life - and watching that program live is one of the absolute highlights.

Likewise, I don't begrudge him falling as he works the bugs out of whatever new element / feature / skill he is trying to add or improve.

PS - I like it here! :) :swoon: