PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

jettasian
02-13-2012, 08:09 PM
I find Dai's overrated. His artistry is always over the top and his skate is no where near Patrick's. Like this 4CC LP, all I see from Dai is his arms moving, too busy and distracting. His arms movement are way more than his legs. And there's really nothing in between the jumps and the arms movement.

Patrick's Arenjuez is a masterpiece. From the first note to the last, it's the whole package, each movement, each jump, each transition, all specially designed.

I think Patrick gets many haters because he has won so much. Their faves can't seem to find a way to beat Patrick, so the anger's there, and it keeps building up, and the hate will automatically point toward Patrick. That's normal.

I'm just so glad that Patrick can skate 2 great programs, win convincingly, to shut up the haters.

ponta1
02-13-2012, 09:34 PM
I find Dai's overrated. His artistry is always over the top and his skate is no where near Patrick's. Like this 4CC LP, all I see from Dai is his arms moving, too busy and distracting. His arms movement are way more than his legs. And there's really nothing in between the jumps and the arms movement.

Patrick's Arenjuez is a masterpiece. From the first note to the last, it's the whole package, each movement, each jump, each transition, all specially designed.

I think Patrick gets many haters because he has won so much. Their faves can't seem to find a way to beat Patrick, so the anger's there, and it keeps building up, and the hate will automatically point toward Patrick. That's normal.

I'm just so glad that Patrick can skate 2 great programs, win convincingly, to shut up the haters.

I love Patrick, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating and admiring Daisuke either. In fact, I love them both. I don't know what performance of Daisuke you were watching, because the one I saw certainly differed from the one you're describing.

jettasian
02-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Dai's current LP, esp the last 2 minutes or so, nothing but jumps and arms movement, very busy and to me, very distracting. But that's just me, I just don't see anything compelling in his program. Definitely not the same as Patrick's LP.

ponta1
02-14-2012, 03:40 AM
Dai's current LP, esp the last 2 minutes or so, nothing but jumps and arms movement, very busy and to me, very distracting. But that's just me, I just don't see anything compelling in his program. Definitely not the same as Patrick's LP.

Of course it's not the same as Patrick's; they're two entirely different programs. And Daisuke's program is just as great as Patrick's. Unfortunately, he didn't skate too well at this competition, but despite the errors, it was still lovely.

Rafter
02-14-2012, 03:48 AM
Chans two quads in the LP at 4cc's were amazing!!! Overall not as strong as at Canadians but still a great effort from him. :)

Marco
02-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Looks like Chan is starting to pull away from Takahashi.

Even at his best, Takahashi's quad was on and off. Chan has pretty much nailed the quad and quad combo and his 3axel has been more consistent this season. For the rest of the jumps, Chan is going to get higher GOEs overall because of the transitions or little set up time involved. And Chan will always have the spin advantage on Takahashi.

While both have great skating skills, Chan is able to display them doing much more complex programs and elements. I still prefer Takahashi's musicality but Chan has wonderful programs this season to level the playing field.

Even if not for the landslide victory at 4CCs, I suspect he is going to have some jump advantage over Takahashi (rightly or wrongly).

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 07:11 AM

I agree, CA is a masterpiece. A great piece of choreography needs a great artist to bring it to life and that is what makes this program so special for me. and I too think he has the most choreographically complex program. But I don't think Dai's program is empty. I actually think he has some great transitions that really work with the music. Congratulations to both Patrick and Dai! This sets up an exciting WC!

I fear that nothing will shut the haters up...I honestly think that Chan-bashing is a favourite pastime for some, which is sad. And Chan stated in an interview that he read some of these comments on youtube...I can't even imagine how that would feel. I know there are those who will say that you have to have a thick skin if you are going to be in the public eye, but still, I just don't know how you can prepare yourself to deal with that level of vitriol. Let's just hope he can focus more on the many figure skating fans who appreciate what he has to offer the sport. Go Patrick!

Bournekraatzfan
02-14-2012, 07:30 AM
He chooses overused music

My response to them: if you can interpret these pieces as beautifully as Patrick does, I don't care what you skate to. I remember his rendition of Vivaldi's Four seasons when he was just a 16-17 year old. I was captivated (and this is coming from someone who is deeply attached to Lambiel's 4 Seasons).

I don't even have words for his 4CC LP...brilliant. Once again, he gave me chills.

kwanette
02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
I find Dai's overrated. His artistry is always over the top and his skate is no where near Patrick's.

Last summer I said to a skater who trains in the Springs with Patrick.."I've never seen anyone move over the ice like he does." Skater's answer, "And you never will."

That said, I think Daisuke is the best stylist in the world, and, IMHO, the most watchable skater in the world. He can skate to voidy, cheesey and to poignant. My only criticism of any of his programs/performances is that they end.

elle123
02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
I love both Patrick and Daisuke's skating but I agree that Patrick has the edge in skating skills and the elements. I do think Daisuke has the best musicality though.

And I agree. . . haters can go fly a kite! :p

sequins
02-15-2012, 03:38 AM
I love Dai but unfortunately he can't match up right now to Chiddy (no one can at the moment) but I take nothing away from him and I enjoy his skating immensely. They are my 2 faves at the moment and probably top 10 or 12 all time. He seems like a great guy & he's so original, love him!

jettasian
02-15-2012, 05:04 AM
Last summer I said to a skater who trains in the Springs with Patrick.."I've never seen anyone move over the ice like he does." Skater's answer, "And you never will."

That said, I think Daisuke is the best stylist in the world, and, IMHO, the most watchable skater in the world. He can skate to voidy, cheesey and to poignant. My only criticism of any of his programs/performances is that they end.

THAT is why I said he`s so over rated. But that`s just my opinion, nobody has to agree, and no need to defend him here. This is a Patrick lovefest, I guess no need to bring in Dai lovefest here as well.

a56
02-15-2012, 07:03 AM
I totally agree. I've never been able to stand Takahashi's skating. He is, first and foremost, an over-the-top showman. His theatrics on ice or what others call "artistry", not unlike Plushenko or Amodio, are incredibly distracting and irritating to watch.

Patrick, though, has a subdued, nuanced meditative grace and elegance that is sublime.

Marco
02-15-2012, 08:04 AM
I totally agree. I've never been able to stand Takahashi's skating. He is, first and foremost, an over-the-top showman. His theatrics on ice or what others call "artistry", not unlike Plushenko or Amodio, are incredibly distracting and irritating to watch.

To even compare Takahashi to the likes of Plushenko and Amodio is... criminal... :eek:

His understanding and expression of music, phrasing, tone and tempo is out of this world. And he does it with superb skating skills.

kwanette
02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
THAT is why I said he`s so over rated. But that`s just my opinion, nobody has to agree, and no need to defend him here. This is a Patrick lovefest, I guess no need to bring in Dai lovefest here as well.

I was in no way diminishing Patrick's skating ability. I first saw him in person at SA in Reading in 07. Those magical feet of his blew me away. From that day forward, I always used the expression.."I wanna marry his feet.."I've had the opportunity to tell him that on a few occasions...He always answers cheerfully.."They're stinky.."

Sorry if you have obviously been offended..