PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Bev Johnston
02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Patrick and Jeremy are my two favorites in men's skating. Both have qualities that I admire. They make it more than just a jumpfest. That being said, I agree that Jeremy needs two more quads - one in the short and another in combination in the long - to have a chance to beat Patrick. I mentioned that to one of my friends and practically got my head bitten off. Sorry, but it's a fact.

I will take Jeremy's comment with a grain of salt. Patrick DID score a lot of points at Canadians, but IMO they were well deserved points. Jeremy scored a lot of points at US Nationals, but he was clearly the best skater in the field and deserved to be rewarded.

Here's to both men skating clean at Worlds and may the best win. :-)

sliver98
02-03-2012, 12:42 AM
I don`t think abbott has a chance against chan if he skates clean how about aiming a little lower like winning you first world medal, plus i find him a bit boring and slow.

HSGP21
02-03-2012, 01:09 AM
I love both Jeremy and Patrick, and hope they both skate clean at worlds! Both are so artistically talented, and are beginning to really have the jumps to match their pure skating talent.

Has anyone found a copy of Patrick's exhibition from the Canadian Nationals online?

VarBar
02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Congratulations to Patrick on his gold medal at 4CC. He had an awesome free skate, absolutely elegant, mature and controlled, and so fluid and strong.:smokin:

The Accordion
02-11-2012, 08:18 PM
What a joy he is to watch. FOR ME anyway.

All I can say after reading the PBP threads in the 4CC forum and THEN getting a chance to watch the 2 skates is that I feel very very sorry for those who can't enjoy one of the greatest skaters our sport has ever seen because of any of the following "reasons"

He is overscored
He dares to fall
He dares to fall and is overscored while falling
He keeps his programs for 2 seasons
He chooses overused music
His choreographer is a hack / a COPwhore / boring / uncreative
They don't like his interviews
They find him arrogant
He dares to have PCS in the same category or better than Takahashi, Kozuka or any other skater they think he is unworthy to score better than / score in the same range as
He is boring
He is soulless
He is unmusical
They leave him cold.

I am not saying they are wrong - as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am just sorry for them. Not only do they not get to enjoy what I consider beautiful and inspiring skating with exquisite edges and details - watching it actually makes them upset / actively bored / lament the state of skating and skating judging.

And I say this as someone who has been a long time Takahashi fan. I love him too. I agree that no one performs like him and when he is on - it is magic.

But that doesn't mean that I cannot appreciate what is magical about Patrick's skating as well. And seeing their short programs back to back - I would say they were both equally enjoyable as far as performance goes. FOR ME anyhow.

Way to go Patrick!

RockTheTassel
02-11-2012, 08:48 PM
ITA, Accordian. It's sad that there are so many posters that can't seem to enjoy anything about Patrick's skating. Reasonable criticism I understand, but it feels like some just search for something to pick on. And even when he skates perfectly, he's still "soulless".

But it's their loss. I'm delighted to see such wonderful talent.

professordeb
02-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Add me to the list who are puzzled by the constant harping about Chan. In a thread, someone thought that I was saying that you can't be a Dai fan unless you are a Chan haterz. Well after typing up my response, I found the thread was closed - it had gone over 1,000 posts sooooo it's now saved.

I too have enjoyed Dai and I consider his skating mostly enjoyable but given the skates these two performed this weekend, it really was no contest.

Accordian -- you have put it very well. I pity those haterz. However, some of them may yet come to at least like Patrick's skating. I seem to recall there have been some poster on here who have acknowledged they were wrong in their opinions about Chan. They now GET him, especially after seeing him live.

Maybe we need a bigger wagon for the new fans to hop on board with us? :)

jl22aries
02-12-2012, 07:45 AM
I stay the hell out of pbp threads for the sole reason of avoiding those perplexing posts. They are SO upsetting, no matter who the skater is or whether or not I am a fan of theirs, those negative and embittered posts are ugly ugly ugly.

Btw I am also itching to see PChan's nationals exhibition. Any leads?

Debrah
02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Just go to fsvids.net; register and join. Have fun downloading all his programs. Many of the provided links are commentary free and posted in lovely and glorious HD quality that shows Chan's subtle blade mastery, full body movement, to very best advantage!

elle123
02-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know who that other woman sitting with Kristy and Patrick in the K&C is?

Proustable
02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
I recall a time when those threads were free and reading them was quite disheartening. I can't imagine paying for that level of bitchery.

For me, "Aranjuez" unlocks Chan as a skater. I loved him before - his 4CC 2009 SP is a masterpiece program skated perfectly and the sheer bladework seen in POTO at Nationals is amazing. That I think he's actually improved his skating skills this season is ridiculous. There really is a country mile between him and the rest of the field in that department.

But this LP.... this is perhaps the greatest thing he's ever done. The opening and closing pictures are perfection. I already consider it one of my favourite LPs by a man ever. The precision and power that he does everything with... my word. If he adds a bit more passion and freedom to some of those sections.... anticipate my mind being blown.

And also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that his quads (muscles) are hot in those pants (and his gluts)

VarBar
02-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Quoting The Accordion.

He is overscored

lol Then let those people who think he is overscored hold separate competitions where they are the judges so that the judging is fair and unbiased.;)

He is boring
He is soulless
He is unmusical
They leave him cold.

All I can say is that Chan often gives me goose-bumps when I watch him skate, I've never seen anyone skate like him and I am pretty determined to enjoy the view, whether some like it or not. He is one of the very few skaters I would watch over and over without getting tired and I am not going to apologize for that.

Does anyone know who that other woman sitting with Kristy and Patrick in the K&C is?

If you were thinking of this lady in the picture, I understood her name is Kathy Johnson and she is Patrick's body movement coach...or something like that.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cnHcAucPPcKp/610x.jpg

I recall a time when those threads were free and reading them was quite disheartening. I can't imagine paying for that level of bitchery.

:lol: Oh, if that's the case, I definitely have better things to do with my money.

DinDonShamu
02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Hooops wrong thread :o

sequins
02-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm not bitchin' but just saw Chiddy FS and that was bitchin'. Way to go Chid. What more can you say at this point? Keep it goin all the way to Sochi! Keep hatin' haters while Chiddy keeps racking up the gold medals!

clarie
02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm not bitchin' but just saw Chiddy FS and that was bitchin'. Way to go Chid. What more can you say at this point? Keep it goin all the way to Sochi! Keep hatin' haters while Chiddy keeps racking up the gold medals!

Amen to that......I watched today on the big screen as opposed to my monitor and he continues to impress. He just keeps on growing with his skating, with his artistry and use of the music. He is a true phenom!!!