PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan Uber Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Bournekraatzfan
01-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Jeremy would also need a quad in the SP. bold statement from Jeremy. We'll see how he does at worlds. I'm actually kinda surprised the USFSA would publish those quotes by him.

I read that Chan's new Ex was choreo'd by David Wilson. I was surprised because it looked very Kurt Browning to me.

thanks! I was wondering who the choreographer was. I really liked this look on Patrick.

jl22aries
01-29-2012, 06:28 AM
David Wilson is a surprise. Correct me, but is this the first time PC has worked with Wilson? It is a fab program. And, indulge me this throwback adolescent moment, Patrick is so hot.

clarie
01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Can you imagine if PC had made a statement like the above?

On another note, I hope he does use other choreographers from time to time just for diversity.

VarBar
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM

:lol: FSU would most likely have started a separate thread to discuss the statement at length.

I read that Chan's new Ex was choreo'd by David Wilson. I was surprised because it looked very Kurt Browning to me.

If David Wilson choreographed for Browning in the past, that might explain the similarity in style. In fact, I'd really like Wilson to choreograph for Patrick more often because I generally find his music choices more exciting than Nichol's.

professordeb
01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Jeremy Abbott said this about PC:
Asked what Chan -- who triumphed at the 2011 World Championships by more than 22 points, and handily won the recent Grand Prix Final despite two falls -- does to keep the judges in such thrall, Abbott paused.

"I have no idea," he said. "I admire the quality with which he skates; the control and his edging and his speed are phenomenal. I think in terms of skating skills, he's definitely one of the top in the world. But I definitely think he has things that are lacking.

"They break out the [program] components into five pieces, but they all kind of judge them without separating them out, so maybe Patrick has a 10 in skating skills and lower in interpretation, but they all stay in the same range.

"He is the world champion and the Grand Prix champion, and he just scored 9,000 points at Canadians, so he is definitely the favorite for worlds. But he's not unbeatable."

Maybe if Jeremy had 2 quads, one in combination, he could beat Chan, maybe, but until then????

Did he really say Patrick's score was Chanflated to 9,000 points? Really? If you want what you said to be taken seriously, is that type of exaggeration really necessary? Sounds to me like someone (Abbott) has issues about scoring. Maybe if he sat down and actually looked at Chan's skate while holding the scoresheet he'd understand a few things like:
a clean quad and triple axel in the short does for your base TES
two quads, one in combo, plus a clean triple axel in the long along with footwork that is everywhere gets you MONSTER TES
that there are very few pauses in Chan's skating where he stops and poses/panders to the judges or just tries to get his breath; he's almost always moving. I would dare Jeremy to try and skate Chan's programs, land everything Chan lands, perform the footwork & spins and all at the speed Chans does his programs and then tell Chan that he doesn't deserve those marks.

Oh yeah, I also agree with those who think that if Chan had said such about Jeremy he'd be getting crucified/villified by some here while being praised by others for being so outspoken and honest.

As much as I like Jeremy, he's stuck his foot in his mouth. If he thinks inflation occurs only at Canadians, then he needs to wake up and smell the stink of reality cause this weekend there is inflation at his own nationals and some would say even some at Europeans.

clarie
01-30-2012, 12:19 AM
I missed the Gala yesterday due to a previous committment....are there any vids of Patricks new Gala program? I can't seem to find anything. :(

Rafter
01-30-2012, 02:03 AM

On another note, I hope he does use other choreographers from time to time just for diversity.

I agree, if Chan had said that heads would explode around here.

Very bold statement from Abbott. I think he's crazy if he thinks he's on the same level as Chan if clean. Um, Jeremy, where is your quad-triple in the SP and two quads in the long? :shuffle:

Skate Talker
01-30-2012, 07:56 AM
I missed the Gala yesterday due to a previous committment....are there any vids of Patricks new Gala program? I can't seem to find anything. :(

Repeat broadcast next Saturday Feb 04 on CTV (2-3:30 CT)

elle123
01-30-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree, if Chan had said that heads would explode around here.

Very bold statement from Abbott. I think he's crazy if he thinks he's on the same level as Chan if clean. Um, Jeremy, where is your quad-triple in the SP and two quads in the long? :shuffle:

I think maybe we should give Abbott the benefit of the doubt, like we'd give it to Patrick and let them settle this the only way they can . . . on the ice! haha

professordeb
01-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I think maybe we should give Abbott the benefit of the doubt, like we'd give it to Patrick and let them settle this the only way they can . . . on the ice! haha

Why should Abbott be given the benefit of doubt when so many didn't do that for Chan on multiple occassions? Let Jeremy prove that he belongs with the "big boys" by stepping up to the plate and delivering on a stage that isn't his own nationals. Once he proves he can keep up those guys on a consistent basis, I'll cut him some slack.

BTW, I do like watching him skate. He may not be my favourite skater, but he is one of my fav American skaters.

elle123
01-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I just think that if we expect people to cut Patrick some slack, we should do the same for other skaters. I'm not saying it was right that he said it, but you're right, until he can prove that he is a serious contender, what he said holds no weight.

Bournekraatzfan
01-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I just think that if we expect people to cut Patrick some slack, we should do the same for other skaters.

I agree with you, though I also agree with Rafter and clarie: had it been Patrick who'd made those statements, I think we'd see an entire thread dedicated to crucifying him. The funny thing about the reaction to Patrick's previous comments (as misquoted by the press) is that those Patrick bashers justified Patrick's alleged statements. I can't imagine feeling appreciated when you see so many people who take delight in bashing you. It was really sad to read in PJ's interview with him that he read some of those mean comments. I hope he gets to read some of the praise for him like that found in this thread.

I can't wait to see Patrick skate again this season. As strong as some of the men are this season (namely Daisuke), I really can't see anyone coming close if Patrick skates clean. I still can't stop watching his nationals performance (both SP and LP). Unbelievable.

walei
01-31-2012, 03:51 AM
Jeremy needs to step up to the big boys at World's stage and those comment IMO is a first step mentally.

Having said that, his performance at US Nationals was great but watch Patrick's skate at Canadians right after... the difference to me is night and day.

bbkenn
01-31-2012, 04:00 AM
I am always wary about trusting the press...misquotes happen all the time and we never get the full context of the quote(s). Anyways, I love Jeremy and can't wait to see his FP tm night.

I read it on the IceNetwork website.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120127&content_id=26488338&vkey=ice_news

Bournekraatzfan
01-31-2012, 04:57 AM
I read it on the IceNetwork website.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120127&content_id=26488338&vkey=ice_news

oh no, I am not questioning your reliability at all. I just find it difficult to trust anything I read because sometimes reporters don't hear something correctly or omit something and that can change the entire context of the quote.