PDA

View Full Version : Kim Yuna's latest interview by Daily Chosun

Pages : [1] 2 3

riveredge
11-21-2011, 07:46 AM
c/o of sundy7/allthatyuna.com

Figure skating queen Kim Yuna -

"I have always wished there was no competition in my schedule… I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stand on the podium again.”

http://yunakimfan.com/2011/11/21/18278/

pretty good interview.. as she talks about everything.. :D

l'etoile
11-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Great, honest, and rather candid interview from her! I think it shows a lot of Yuna's cool personality.

The reporter's still hanging on the rivalry between Yuna and Mao. Get over already:lol:

“I’ve always thought my life as an athlete would be over once the Olympics end, but I was told I needed to compete at the World Championships in Torino(March of 2010) a month later after I had won the [Olympic] gold medal. I didn’t have the desire to compete and couldn’t practice because I have already achieved my ultimate goal at the Olympics. I was also thinking it’s possible that I could get humiliated by going there unnecessarily [if I didn’t do well].”

It’s probably like when the world’s greatest actress goes into hiding when she doesn’t want to show herself getting old to her fans.

“I was fighting tooth and nail telling them that I don’t want to do it no matter what, but it was a situation where I couldn’t not compete there.”

You competing at last World Championships in Moscow must’ve been another difficult decision for you.
“I was fighting against competing again for half a year. I gave in at the end because people around me were very persuasive, but after I decided to compete again, I regretted my decision and wanted to back away from it.”

What made you get persuaded?
“…People around me said if I didn’t compete, mass media, fans, and Korean citizens would turn their backs on me. I still don’t understand why that is (should be) so.”

Coach Orser made it look as though such decision wasn’t justifiable through media outlet, right?
“There were so many people who talked badly about my mom at the time. It felt bad since people who didn’t know the details of the story badmouthed my mom and me. Actually, there was one biggest reason that made me decide to compete at the World Championships in Moscow, but I can’t tell you what that was.”

Readers will get curious to know.
“I can’t say it. People close to me know what it is though.”

When I inquired the people around her, they said it was because the government and the National Athletic Association among others had told her that she needed to stay eligible and requested her to compete all for the PyeongChang Winter Olympics Bid.

You cried after you won the silver medal at the World Championships held in Moscow.
“Mass media said I cried because I placed second, but that is 100% not the reason. It was because of many different things. It was incredibly difficult for me when I was preparing for the competition. There was a feeling of getting lighthearted after the competition came to an end. I got choked at the thought that ‘I might never be able to stand on this podium again.’”

Does that mean the World Championship in Moscow was your last formal competition?
“Never again…, I thought everything had come to an end.”
I like this part since it shows how much burdens and pressure from nation and fans was on her even after her splendid Olympic victory which should have been the most valuable gift for her country and why we couldn't see her brilliant sparkle in either competitions.

Wow, Yuna just spelled out what's in her mind outspokenly!

Seems like she's really enjoying her life at the moment, picturing how her next chapter would be like. Whether it means that she may never come back to competitive skating or not, I sincerely hope that she can find her true calling, something that moves her. Best of wishes, Yuna:respec:

RunnersHigh
11-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Video rink (In Korean and Ad attached at first) : http://keywui.chosun.com/contents/section.view.keywui?mvSeqnum=201945&cateCategoryId=101&cateSubCategoryId=37

The rink above doesn't cover all Yuna's interview but some were told by herself.

Hope NO ONE try to control her skating life EVER. :angryfire

RumbleFish
11-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Video rink (In Korean and Ad attached at first) : http://keywui.chosun.com/contents/section.view.keywui?mvSeqnum=201945&cateCategoryId=101&cateSubCategoryId=37

The rink above doesn't cover all Yuna's interview but some were told by herself.

Including her mummy who seems to be the major source of the problem.

riveredge
11-21-2011, 11:38 AM

yeah.. though i'm surprised that even the government made a request to yuna about competing.. :scream:

nubka
11-21-2011, 11:41 AM
This was a very interesting read. I've felt for awhile now, that her heart was not in competition any longer. I hope she will be able to stand up for the things that she wants in her future, and not let others persuade her to skate/compete if that is really not what she wants to do.

You go, Yuna! :respec:

RumbleFish
11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
yeah.. though i'm surprised that even the government made a request to yuna about competing.. :scream:

I'm not surprised at all about the current administration pressuring her, since taking credit for anything good is their crafty nature.

But I am surpirsed that KYN openly complained about her control freak mummy. I hope she takes this message seriously and give a little breathing room to her daughter for a change.

l'etoile
11-21-2011, 01:27 PM
But I am surpirsed that KYN openly complained about her control freak mummy. I hope she takes this message seriously and give a little breathing room to her daughter for a change.

Give her some credit. She can't say anything complaining about her "mummy"? She's a Ms. Park's daughter, usually what parents do for their children which they think is the best for them is a stress for the children themselves. I think her "control freak" quality has been inherited to Yuna as well and their ensemble was the most critical factor for Yuna's success on some level. Get over a minute and don't try to make this boring drama out of them.

RumbleFish
11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Give her some credit. She can't say anything complaining about her "mummy"?

I meant to say I'm PLEASENTLY surprised by her complaints. She should complain more, until she gets her mummy off her back.

She's a Ms. Park's daughter, usually what parents do for their children which they think is the best for them is a stress for the children themselves. I think her "control freak" quality has been inherited to Yuna as well and their ensemble was the most critical factor for Yuna's success on some level. Get over a minute and don't try to make this boring drama out of them.

I think you are the one who is writing a boring drama based on your perception of parenthood and whatever quality you find they passed on to each other.

amaro
11-21-2011, 02:09 PM

You are overinterpreting her joke about her mom. The way Yuna "complains" about her mom is something rather casually and lightheartedly said among Korean young people, and it carries much less significance than, say, an American reader would feel if an American celebrity was saying the same stuff. It is a distinctively Asian/Korean thing. In more serious interviews Yuna repeatedly gave her mom and her push credit for her success.

RunnersHigh
11-21-2011, 02:27 PM
You are overinterpreting her joke about her mom. The way Yuna "complains" about her mom is something rather casually and lightheartedly said among Korean young people, and it carries much less significance than, say, an American reader would feel if an American celebrity was saying the same stuff. It is a distinctively Asian/Korean thing. In more serious interviews Yuna repeatedly gave her mom and her push credit for her success.

You're damn right!
That's the way Korean young ppl do to their parents. And Remember! The translation is a bit better than Google's. No offence to the translator ;)

RumbleFish
11-21-2011, 02:35 PM
You are overinterpreting her joke about her mom. The way Yuna "complains" about her mom is something rather casually and lightheartedly said among Korean young people, and it carries much less significance than, say, an American reader would feel if an American celebrity was saying the same stuff.

Are you sure she was "joking" about her mummy? It doesn't sound like it to me, and I'm quite aware about the way Asian kids speak about their parents.

If you read closely, KNY revealed how "people around her" pushed her into competing in 2010 Worlds and 2011 Worlds, for some reason which she doesn't wish to disclose. Who in the world do you think "people around her" mean? Her former coaches? Her physical therapist?
IMO, theire is only one person in the world who can "make" KNY do things against her will.

It is a distinctively Asian/Korean thing. In more serious interviews Yuna repeatedly gave her mom and her push credit for her success.

Oh, don't give me that crap about distinctively Asian/Korean stuff. One thing clear is that the girl was strong-armed into something she didn't want, and she is making sure everyone else know about it. It should be crystal clear no matter where you are from or whatever cultural background you may have.

BTW, are you sure KYN wasn't put on a spot where she had no choice but to give lots of credit to her mother? As a spectator, I don't really know what kind of role her mother had to do with winning the OGM, but I feel that it really isn't a issure here since everything is over and done with.

RunnersHigh
11-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Including her mummy who seems to be the major source of the problem.

And ^

This original Korean article (http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/11/20/2011112001085.html) may change your mind. What's written in the article are a part of what she wrote in her autobiography about 2 yrs ago. :D

BTW, What KNY stands for?

RumbleFish
11-21-2011, 02:51 PM
This original Korean article (http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/11/20/2011112001085.html) may change your mind. What's written in the article are a part of what she wrote in her autobiography about 2 yrs ago. :D

I don't know what you are talking about. How could she ever write an autobiography about being forced to compete at 2010 and 2011 Worlds 2 years ago. :confused:

RunnersHigh
11-21-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't know what you are talking about. How could she ever write an autobiography about being forced to compete at 2010 and 2011 Worlds 2 years ago. :confused:

Her mom was not related and reffered to those Worlds. Read the Korean article carefully.

For your convinience

그의 주위를 취재해보니, '평창동계올림픽 유치를 위해 김연아 선수가 시합에 출전하고 현역으로 남아있어야 한다'는 정부와 대한체육회 등의 요청 때문이었다.

ETA: Sorry I m using I Pad and its really hard to type. :(