PDA

View Full Version : The 100 Most Overrated Athletes of All Time

Pages : 1 [2]

Yehudi
11-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Its Bleacher Report. I don't take anything written on there seriously

Karina1974
11-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Patrick can compete with men in her sport, the first women ever to do so successfully.

Ever hear of Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney (https://muldowney.com/shirley.html)? She was competing against men (and winning) before Danica Patrick was even born.

judgejudy27
11-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Ever hear of Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney (https://muldowney.com/shirley.html)? She was competing against men (and winning) before Danica Patrick was even born.

Thanks for that. My bad. Still Danica Patrick >>> Michelle Wie, and Wie gets more hyped than Patrick (or atleast most of the last 5 years did). Yet Patrick is far higher on the overrated athletes list. :lol:

escaflowne9282
11-20-2011, 09:54 PM
As a gymnastics fan, I am somewhat disappointed with the exclusion of Mary Lou Retton.

judgejudy27
11-20-2011, 09:57 PM
As a gymnastics fan, I am somewhat disappointed with the exclusion of Mary Lou Retton.

Lavinia Milosovici and Gina Gogean both merit places on the list as well.

escaflowne9282
11-21-2011, 04:24 AM
Lavinia Milosovici and Gina Gogean both merit places on the list as well.

I'll be honest and say I found them both quite dull, but they had numerous years of medals and titles and outside of those who followed gymnastics, nobody really heard of them.

Retton OTOH , a two event gymnast, became a household name in an Olympics where she didn't even have to compete against the best in the world. She never even competed at a World Championships. She became "America's Sweetheart" ::shudder:: and the face of Madison Avenue following 1984.

Every Olympics during the gymnastics event , she is given a ridiculous amount of hero worship. Meanwhile, there are quite a few Americans,even among her teammates in 1984, who accomplished far more in their careers than she did as a gymnast.

judgejudy27
11-21-2011, 04:28 AM
True Retton is most definitely overrated and should have been near the very top of the list. However the writer was probably one of those hero worshippers himself. I would still have Milosovici and Gogean on the list as well though. Yeah they won alot of medals due to code whoreing and benefitting from the transition period while the Soviet Union was splitting up, and many of them were won questionably through overscoring as well. They are no Silivas. Commaneci, or even Szabo, that is for sure. Maybe they are forgotten today but there was tons of attention on them in the 90s (understandably given all the medals they were winning, but much of that was due to a flawed scoring system and often reputation based protocal scoring as I said).

millyskate
11-21-2011, 09:07 AM
This guy obviously watches basketball, with the occasional bit of Tennis and Baseball thrown in. His general sporting knowledge can't be that great.

pumba
11-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Lori Fung could easily make the list as the first OGM in rhytmic gymnastics, though she was not even close to the worlds best Soviet gymnasts, who could not compete in 1984 due to the politics.

Rob
11-21-2011, 05:02 PM
I couldn't get through the whole list, but Michelle Wie should be higher on it.

I have no idea how Steffi Graf is overrated. Golden Grand Slam, dominated the sport for years, not enuf? Wozniaki sure - I don't think you should be #1 w/o a major win but she's not the first one (Clijsters I think was #1 in her first incarnation without having won a major, but she's got majors now; Safina?). But to me, Anna Kournikova was the biggest overrating in her day.

Seerek
11-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I still think that Steffi Graf at least gets to Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert's 18 Grand Slam titles even with Monica Seles present for the 10 Grand Slam tournaments she missed.

Phil Mickelson at 4 majors is still the 2nd most of active players - is the consensus that he has severely underachieved?

A lot of choices are acceptable, but a lot of the choices are athletes who are perhaps not even halfway completed their career. Interesting list.

Rob
11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Phil was "late" (as compared to Woods) in getting his first major and had the monkey on his back for quite some time. Plus, he has given away a couple of US Opens with mental or strategic errors. But he still has 4 majors, was 2 or T2 in 6 more majors, is tied for #10 on the all time PGA tour wins lists, has been on Walker, Dunhill, Ryder, and Presidents cup winning teams, and has won the Players and 3 World golf event titles. For current players, he is outdone only by Tiger Woods. I don't think he is overrated.

judgejudy27
11-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Phil Mickelson (and to some degree even Tiger Woods) benefitted from playing in a less strong era in golf however. Neither would have won nearly as much if they played in the era that had Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Ballesteros, and Trevino. In that era there were 5 or 6 all time greats, in the Woods era Tiger is the only one, and even if removed Tiger he would still be the only one (or maybe Mickelson at a stretch). The only time Mickelson sort of outdueled another great golfer to win a major was his first Masters (where he beat out Els playing in an earlier group than him). In the Nicklaus era wth all the legends he would be lucky to have won 2 majors.

In some ways Vijay Singh had a more impressive career. He was the hands down Player of the Year once in the Woods era with 9 tournament wins that year. He was ranked #1 in the World for parts of different years, Mickelson hasnt even spent a week ranked #1. He has more Worldwide tournament wins than Mickelson. He has one fewer major, but Mickelson won many of his after Tiger began his fade from dominance.

So yes I would agree Phil Mickelson is overrated. If he not from South Africa like Els or Fiji like Singh you would hear not nearly as much about him, or if he were less of a "personality" like Love 111, Furyk, or others. PS- I am not saying Els, Love, Furyk, are better than him of course so please dont misinterpret my words.

susan6
11-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I'll tell you what's overrated: lists where you can't see the whole thing on one page, but have to click through a hundred freakin' pages. I'm SO tired of that.

I agree. I was interested in seeing the list as....a LIST that I can look over instead of having to click 100 times.