PDA

View Full Version : Matteo Guarise & ...Nicole Della Monica!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

orbitz
12-23-2011, 03:19 PM
One thing I am worried about, though. Side-by-side jumps. I know I can't judge Matteo on one totally botched jump but this is something that might hold him back (that was definitely the case for our previous Italian ex-rollers).

Aside from the jump issue that he had, I noticed in the SLF that he just didn't have the edge control or flow expected of a skater. So I think that could be a problem for them also.

rfisher
12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm willing to give them time. And, it's not as if they are going to challeng for a podium in Sochi, but he's :smokin: Making the Italian pairs teams two of the hottest teams competing. :D

Tanja90
12-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I looked at other teams and didn't see anyone else doing it. Interesting. Also, I was curious about the dance events. I'm :lol: at this team's FD beginning with Coke commercial music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmu20Nx1z2o&feature=related

LOL!
They are maybe the most winning dance team of the decades with their 5 worlds gold medals!
They are great! You really should see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfEe8rtKckM

cholla
12-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Saw them yesterday evening at Courchevel gala (France). They did great. Gala will be televised in France next Saturday so I guess videos will quickly pop up on Youtube.

luenatic
12-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Are they going to Worlds this year? I watched the SP video, but I'm afraid the Skating Skills mark will be in the 4s. He has got to get rid of the toe-push completely at Senior level. The lack of power from basic XO is also an area they can improve on. To be honest, their skating skill is similar to US Novice level Pairs. I'm so mean...

loulou
12-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Are they going to Worlds this year? I watched the SP video, but I'm afraid the Skating Skills mark will be in the 4s. He has got to get rid of the toe-push completely at Senior level. The lack of power from basic XO is also an area they can improve on. To be honest, their skating skill is similar to US Novice level Pairs. I'm so mean...

He toe pushes? :eek:

And is toe pushing tolerated in novice level?

Isn't proper stroking, like, the very first thing you learn on ice - that is, if you wanna learn how to skate?

briancoogaert
12-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Well, Surya Bonaly had a good career, although she toe-pushed :P

loulou
12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, Surya Bonaly had a good career, although she toe-pushed :P

Oh, so you think the guy will be able to make up for toe pushing with his big jumps, now that he skates in the CoP era?

---

I'm sorry I wrote anything at all.
I was genuinely surprised a guy who wants to go to the olympics, and has to learn technique from scratch, toe pushes after two years on ice skates.
I wasn't looking for toungue sticking. I'm definitely not in the mood for it. Nor I even care a whole lot of the matter.

Geh
12-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "toe push" exactly?

briancoogaert
12-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "toe push" exactly?
When you first try to go forward, you have to use the whole blades, not the toe pick. ;)

ETA : see that kind of really really bad technique to gain speed :
http://youtu.be/pxFl_xfex1U?t=48s

shan
12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh I see it (toe push) now, he does it right after the throw. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it. Of course I'm in no technic! :)

Ziggy
12-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Aside from the jump issue that he had, I noticed in the SLF that he just didn't have the edge control or flow expected of a skater. So I think that could be a problem for them also.

Given his background, I was expecting his basic skating to be even weaker.

And is toe pushing tolerated in novice level?

Well, it gave Chait/Sakhnovski an Ice Dance bronze medal at Worlds. :P

I was genuinely surprised a guy who wants to go to the olympics, and has to learn technique from scratch, toe pushes after two years on ice skates.

He has a partner that has been skating all her life and that he has to keep up with.

leapfrogonice
12-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Italian Roller skating is out of this world