PDA

View Full Version : Matteo Guarise & ...Nicole Della Monica!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

julieann
12-20-2011, 08:16 PM
It's like watching FS from 40 years ago...

I love how she lifts her skirt up before he does the twist. :lol:

shan
12-20-2011, 08:18 PM
I love how she lifts her skirt up before he does the twist. :lol:

I noticed that too. I had to rewind it and watch again to be sure that was purposeful. :)

galaxygirl
12-20-2011, 08:29 PM
I noticed that too. I had to rewind it and watch again to be sure that was purposeful. :)

It looks like she does it so that he can get a better grip on her.

shan
12-20-2011, 08:37 PM
It looks like she does it so that he can get a better grip on her.

I looked at other teams and didn't see anyone else doing it. Interesting. Also, I was curious about the dance events. I'm :lol: at this team's FD beginning with Coke commercial music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmu20Nx1z2o&feature=related

leapfrogonice
12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Very impressive for them to have even prepared themselves for such competition with so little time. Optimistic and curious and supportive of their future.

Civic
12-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Their names conjure up images of sleek Italian fashions and La Dolce Vita. I wish them well.

briancoogaert
12-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Della Monica/Guarise's SP at Italian Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEK99lfLnI8
Reportedly they withdrew from the FS because their program is not ready.
WOW, I like them and I think they can improve easily.
But I'm really surprised, it's not that hard to present a LP. Even if it's not CoP friendly, they could have done a program to give them experience.
I'm also surprised that Federation let them compete without 2 programs ! lol

Sk8swan
12-22-2011, 02:40 PM
WOW, I like them and I think they can improve easily.
But I'm really surprised, it's not that hard to present a LP. Even if it's not CoP friendly, they could have done a program to give them experience.
I'm also surprised that Federation let them compete without 2 programs ! lol

Well, to build the coreography, train and perform all the elements required in a long program was just not possible in 3 weeks of skating together! It's already a miracle they managed to create a short program and perform it like they did!

briancoogaert
12-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Well, to build the coreography, train and perform all the elements required in a long program was just not possible in 3 weeks of skating together! It's already a miracle they managed to create a short program and perform it like they did!
Ooops, I didn't realize they've been together for only 3 weeks. But why did the federation let them compete ? Why not just in the exhibition or something like that ?

Sk8swan
12-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Ooops, I didn't realize they've been together for only 3 weeks. But why did the federation let them compete ? Why not just in the exhibition or something like that ?

Well, they asked if they could test themselves in competition, showing what they could do to the judges and being marked for that. The Fed thought it was ok, so even if it may sound a bit weird, it wasn't really smth extraordinary :)

Ziggy
12-22-2011, 11:59 PM
They trained together for 3 weeks and one of the partners is quite new to skating too.

And they still have managed to beat a team that have been together for what, a year now? And where both parterns have been figure skaters for years.

If I was Gillespie/Dematte, I'd die of shame. :P

As for Guarise/Della Monica, it's incredible how much they've manage to do in 3 weeks. Definitely a very promising team.

One thing I am worried about, though. Side-by-side jumps. I know I can't judge Matteo on one totally botched jump but this is something that might hold him back (that was definitely the case for our previous Italian ex-rollers).

Sk8swan
12-23-2011, 08:44 AM
One thing I am worried about, though. Side-by-side jumps. I know I can't judge Matteo on one totally botched jump but this is something that might hold him back (that was definitely the case for our previous Italian ex-rollers).

Don't worry, Matteo can do both 3toe and 3sal on the ice so that shouldn't be an issue for future competitions. I didn't really understand their choice to go for a 2sal in the program... With him stepping out of that, he gave the impression he can't even do a double jump while it's not really the case!

Sk8swan
12-23-2011, 08:47 AM
They trained together for 3 weeks and one of the partners is quite new to skating too.

And they still have managed to beat a team that have been together for what, a year now? And where both parterns have been figure skaters for years.

You mention a key point here... that's why they competed even if only in the short. They wanted to show Fed and judges they can be right away the second pair in Italy and that's *very* important for future competitions!

julieann
12-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Don't worry, Matteo can do both 3toe and 3sal on the ice so that shouldn't be an issue for future competitions. I didn't really understand their choice to go for a 2sal in the program...With him stepping out of that, he gave the impression he can't even do a double jump while it's not really the case!

Not to nitpick, but...that is the case. He may be able to do triples all day long on ice in practice but...this is competition where a double gave him trouble. I know it was his first competition and he will get better but still it's the competition that counts not the practice.

Ziggy
12-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Don't worry, Matteo can do both 3toe and 3sal on the ice so that shouldn't be an issue for future competitions.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)

You mention a key point here... that's why they competed even if only in the short. They wanted to show Fed and judges they can be right away the second pair in Italy and that's *very* important for future competitions!

Given Gillespie/DeMatte's lack of noticeable improvement since last season, I really hope that Della Monica/Guarise get sent to Worlds. They should be able to have two programs by then.

Not to nitpick, but...that is the case. He may be able to do triples all day long on ice in practice but...this is competition where a double gave him trouble. I know it was his first competition and he will get better but still it's the competition that counts not the practice.

He got the take-off all wrong. It made me think "oh my god, his salchow technique is awful", but it was his first and so far only time we've seen him attempt a jump in competition.

Maybe he just slipped. ;)