PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

maureenfarone
11-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Kimmie competed at Skate America and Cup of Russia in 2008 - she placed 8th in both comps. Since then she has changed coaches a couple of times and is now with Chris Conte.

She has appeared in some shows, but has had numerous injuries which have kept her from training at the elite level. I don't think she will ever compete again, but wish her the best.

museksk8r
11-27-2011, 01:21 PM
I've always liked her. From 2006 to 2010, post-Kwan and pre-Czisny resurrection, she was my favorite US lady on the eligible circuit. She always came across as very sweet, humble, and classy. I've always wanted her to be happy. :)

UGG
11-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I always liked Kimmie too. I would always crack up when she would talk about doing the morning announcements at her high school. She was so cute.

Vash01
11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Just saw Kimmie skate on the 'Pandora' holiday program. She looks so much more mature and graceful. However, she may not be in competition shape anymore. She did just two jumps - 2A and 3t.

euterpe
11-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Just saw Kimmie skate on the 'Pandora' holiday program. She looks so much more mature and graceful. However, she may not be in competition shape anymore. She did just two jumps - 2A and 3t.

That's two more jumps than Sarah Hughes did in a recent made-for-TV special.

RD
11-28-2011, 01:41 AM
That's two more jumps than Sarah Hughes did in a recent made-for-TV special.

Perhaps, but Hughes obviously isn't looking to return to competing?

ETA: I seem to recall Cohen not doing any jumps in a few show programs, yet she doesn't seem to have people blasting her for it like Hughes does...just sayin'....go figure!

Sparks
11-28-2011, 02:14 AM
While I was not a Sasha fan, I could appreciate Sasha's other qualities. She has many pretty tricks. W/o jumps, Sarah has almost nothing to offer, imo.

falling_dance
11-28-2011, 02:29 AM
I liked Hughes' "Both Sides Now" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4VWfyQFsh4&t=14s) exhibition from last year (and it did feature jumps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4VWfyQFsh4&t=2m52s) of a kind), but her two most recent Disson show routines were rather sad IMO. Uninspired and jumpless just won't do.

RD
11-28-2011, 02:36 AM
While I was not a Sasha fan, I could appreciate Sasha's other qualities. She has many pretty tricks. W/o jumps, Sarah has almost nothing to offer, imo.

I suppose YMMV, because at SOI, Cohen even WITH jumps I found very uninspiring. It's really about the routine and whether you can get the audience going or not. Jumps are not required to do so, but they do help.

Hughes I've only seen on TV thus far, but that will change shortly. I was glad to have her back- I feel it's more about the choice of routine, though. There are performances that can pull the audience in without need of jumps or fancy tricks (as I've found out from the shows I've attended). Of course, the ones I tend to remember most are the ones with the backflips, triple jumps, etc.

Sparks
11-28-2011, 03:08 AM
Sasha was better in SOI than Sarah was. In SOI, after Sarah's OGM, she couldn't do a 2 Axel. Remember 2003-4?
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=432&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnso&tbnid=Ae7Q8Cv1-tQBPM:&imgrefurl=http://gallery.ice-skate.net/photo/140&docid=Vmt9E4bGTUfh-M&itg=1&imgurl=http://gallery.ice-skate.net/images/12/soi46.jpg&w=354&h=452&ei=G_jSTvHxD83YiAKT_s3uBw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=211&sig=102134909230180335811&page=4&tbnh=92&tbnw=75&start=49&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:49&tx=33&ty=-10

RD
11-28-2011, 03:10 AM
^ I didn't go to live shows in those days, but I did catch it on Youtube later. I understand what some folks were saying, but I didn't think she was THAT bad :shuffle: *hides*

I mean, she had some charm, I felt. I can't say that for just about anyone...*naming no names*

ETA: that said, if you do make the decision not to do any jumps, better make sure you choose a very entertaining piece and really play to the audience...or let your skating speak for itself (e.g. Gordeeva)

AJ Skatefan
11-28-2011, 04:26 AM
Perhaps, but Hughes obviously isn't looking to return to competing?

ETA: I seem to recall Cohen not doing any jumps in a few show programs, yet she doesn't seem to have people blasting her for it like Hughes does...just sayin'....go figure!

As has been said many times already, Kimmie has given no indication that she's looking to return to competition.

RD
11-28-2011, 04:47 AM
As has been said many times already, Kimmie has given no indication that she's looking to return to competition.

I'm aware of that, and I agree (after talking to her too). It just all seems like a convenient excuse to dump on Hughes, though.

Like I said before- enjoy what you are doing, and convey it well.

skateboy
11-28-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm aware of that, and I agree (after talking to her too). It just all seems like a convenient excuse to dump on Hughes, though.

Yep.

mrinalini
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
One thing I did appreciate about Sarah was her perfect layback spin (she does a lovely one in that clip falling_dance posted) - not too extreme of a back bend, and a perfectly turned out free leg. That's the one thing she had over Kwan back in their competitive heydays, and the one thing that I wish Kwan had. For some reason, I've never been able to really, really like a ladies' singles skater (save Kwan) who didn't have, at the very least, a moderately nice layback.

Back on topic: I do miss Kimmie, too. She was never a very graceful skater even at the tail end of her career when she was improving artistically, but she brought a certain sort of honesty and earnestness to her skating that I rarely find these days. On the ice, I find her somewhat similar to Flatt, except that Kimmie's personality made me enjoy her skating much more.