PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

LilJen
11-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Except she said in that interview that she's competitive. (Which is what confused me. :lol:)

I don't think doing a few jumps over the course of several numbers is "competitive". It's fine for a show program but it's far from being competitive with elite athletes qualifying for ISU championship events.

I don't think she meant that her current technical content was "competitive" with some of the best in the world--that she has a competitive personality/nature. We did all see what a steely competitor she was up through 2006 Worlds.

falling_dance
11-23-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't see it. :shuffle:

Nothing against either skater, but neither do I.

AJ Skatefan
11-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Just because she says she's "competitive" doesn't mean that she's returning to competition. An earlier poster (choreographer) seems to know Kimmie in some capacity and says she's practicing to be in shows. And it sounds to me like she's on the right track in getting some skills back and I really hope I get to see her in something soon.

Fozzie Bear
11-24-2011, 01:24 AM
How old is Jimmy Carter?

Or Jonathan Carson or Jonathan Cash or Jonathan Weir. :P

MacMadame
11-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Johnny Cash is dead. :shuffle:

floskate
11-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Johnny Cash is dead. :shuffle:

But surely that's beside the point. Alive or dead, he's still Johnny Cash ;)
Nice to see Kimmie skating and happy again. I'm not sure what else she could have done jumpwise on that teeny tiny ice. Double axel looked solid :)

MacMadame
11-25-2011, 01:51 AM
But surely that's beside the point. Alive or dead, he's still Johnny Cash ;)
But the question was "how old is he?" Once you are dead, you can't ask that question.

mag
11-25-2011, 02:44 AM
But the question was "how old is he?" Once you are dead, you can't ask that question.

Well, one can ask ... There just isn't really an answer.
Unless of course you mean the dead person can't ask. In that case you are correct. ;)

Polymer Bob
11-25-2011, 04:44 AM
Johnny Cash was 71 when he died.
Johnny Mathis is 76.
Jimmy Carter is 87.

I think they had to call her Kimmie because the only other alternative to Kimberly is Kim. It would be hard to try to say KimmmmmMeissner.

Cheylana
11-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Why does every Kimmie Meissner thread always have to include someone belly-aching about her name? :blah:

michiruwater
11-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Every time I see Kimmie skate, I feel like crying. The youthful joy on her face at the end of her 2006 WC freeskate makes me want to cry. She was finally coming into her own as a more expressive skater when she became too injured to continue. Everything seemed to be coming together until she skated on that sprained ankle at the 2008 GPF. World Champion at 16, and by 18 she was done. It just feels too unfair to me.

RD
11-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Sometimes that's just the way it goes. She was just INCREDIBLY fortunate to peak at the right moment- at Worlds, and in the post-Oly watered down field (PLUS capitalizing off the favorites' mistakes- sound familiar?). I mean, look how Nagasu did at the Vancouver games and that effort didn't even win a medal...

MacMadame
11-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Why does every Kimmie Meissner thread always have to include someone belly-aching about her name? :blah:
I'm guessing it's the same reason every thread about Flatt includes a bunch of posters trying to give her a virtual makeover, arguing among themselves about what she should and shouldn't change. ;)

Triple Butz
11-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Every time I see Kimmie skate, I feel like crying. The youthful joy on her face at the end of her 2006 WC freeskate makes me want to cry. She was finally coming into her own as a more expressive skater when she became too injured to continue. Everything seemed to be coming together until she skated on that sprained ankle at the 2008 GPF. World Champion at 16, and by 18 she was done. It just feels too unfair to me.

I agree, she seemed so dedicated, and her expression and body control improved tremendously only her jump consistency disappeared. I'll never forget watching her clean LP at Skate America in 2006 after a rough warm-up where she moved ahead of Asada for the silver. She certainly was a competitor!

Vash01
11-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Has Kimmie retired? Is she not competing at all anymore?