PDA

View Full Version : Phaneuf switches to Orser

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Bournekraatzfan
11-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Its also what Brian was quoted in so many words as saying. Sometimes the problem is comfort level not skating skill. Cynthia's weakness is definately mental not physical. If she nailed her elements and was reliable, she is so stunning that she could become a star. Hopefully the change works

Yes!

Marco
11-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Phaneuf already has it all. The basics, the musicality, the presence, the jumps. She just needs to put it together.

Absolutely love the pre-injury Phaneuf, as well as the Phaenuf who rocked 2010 Worlds. If there is anything she needs to work on besides focus and nerves, it would be choreography IMO. She has next to no purpose in her programs and is always just skating from jump to jump (much like Czisny this season).

shine
11-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Can we just have Rochette back? Pretty Please?

Bailey_
11-22-2011, 05:23 PM
She does have all the basics, and you are right Bournekraatzfan -- she does have beautiful speed and flow. I just find many of her programs to be heavy and slow -- although her body line, presentation, etc... is beautiful. I think it's a problem with choreography -- perhaps I'm just tired of seeing very similar choreography from her. I would love to see what another choreographer would do to push her out of her comfort zone, create a little fun and lightness in her skating. It's just something I've always wanted to see...

mag
11-22-2011, 07:41 PM
She does have all the basics, and you are right Bournekraatzfan -- she does have beautiful speed and flow. I just find many of her programs to be heavy and slow -- although her body line, presentation, etc... is beautiful. I think it's a problem with choreography -- perhaps I'm just tired of seeing very similar choreography from her. I would love to see what another choreographer would do to push her out of her comfort zone, create a little fun and lightness in her skating. It's just something I've always wanted to see...

This! I believe she is one of Wilson's first major clients. Perhaps that relationship is now getting in the way? It would be interesting to see what someone like Mark Pilay could do for her.

fsfan22
11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
This! I believe she is one of Wilson's first major clients. Perhaps that relationship is now getting in the way? It would be interesting to see what someone like Mark Pilay could do for her.

Both her and Jeff Buttle put David Wilson on the map (as well as Sebastien Britten before them).

Chances are, we won't be seeing any change in choreographers while under Orser's tutelage since his skaters almost exclusively work with Wilson.

venja
11-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Both her and Jeff Buttle put David Wilson on the map (as well as Sebastien Britten before them).

Chances are, we won't be seeing any change in choreographers while under Orser's tutelage since his skaters almost exclusively work with Wilson.

Heck, I'd ask Jeff Buttle to choreograph my programs if I were Cynthia!

Coco
11-22-2011, 11:26 PM
I'd love to see what Michael Siebert could do with her skating, or Phillip Mills. She has an intensity that almost rules out anything cutesy, but it would be nice to see her try something whimsical or playful. She's a striking woman, and I think her presentation relies too much on her "look" on the ice. She's sooooooo controlled and deliberate. Jazz it up a bit!

skatingfanfun
11-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I watched one ex program of hers and she was very sexy and playful, and adorable, forgot which year, both hers and Joannie's. Joannie is a good skater but not as naturally musical and playful as Cynthia IMO. What I don't like is the empty choreography. I guess it is not the choreographer's fault, more likely because Cynthia couldn't handle a more complex choreography for competition. She has the ability to do so much more choreographically in show numbers. Hopefully she can get the jumps steady and reliable first and then comfortable enough to add more choreograph-transitions to her programs. I think all her programs look alike so far. Hopefully this will change. Good luck!

triple_toe
11-23-2011, 04:46 AM
I agree. I never get why people say Cynthia has good choreography. Her programs are essentially empty, just crossovers into jumps and void of any transitions. Plus a flailing footwork sequence. She has good speed, ice coverage, and carriage, but it's a mistake to say her programs are choreographically complex.

shutterbug
11-24-2011, 03:31 AM
Canadian champion Cynthia Phaneuf hopes to rediscover love of skating with Orser (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/breakingnews/canadian-champion-cynthia-phaneuf-hopes-to-rediscover-love-of-skating-with-orser-134356653.html)

She happily reported her first couple of practices were a breath of fresh air.

"It is different. I was so used to the way I was training," she said. "It feels so good to have something new and to train in a different way, and have a fresh start with fresh people. It's different stuff, and that's a very good thing."
:cheer:

Bournekraatzfan
11-24-2011, 05:05 AM

ah, I see what you mean. I also think she could use more complex choreography, though I think that will come once she feels more confident with her jumps. Who do you think she should work with? I like mag's suggestion of Mark Pilay.

SK8LVR
11-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I only hope for the best for Cynthia. She has the goods but I do think with her it is all mental. Now I am really looking forward to Canadians. Maybe I'll buy a few tickets!!!