PDA

View Full Version : Phaneuf switches to Orser

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

pinky166
11-19-2011, 10:45 PM
She is at least 5'8" if not 5'9".

ISU bio says 170 cm (5'7") and her Olympics bio says 5'6" (168 cm), and I think she is in this range as she looks around the same height as skaters like Kostner and Makarova, she's maybe 5'9" in her skates but definitely not bare foot. Cynthia is very tall for a skater but there are plenty of other successful singles skaters who are just as tall or nearly as tall. And she is capable of great jumps, it's just consistency that's her issue.

victoriajh
11-20-2011, 12:06 AM
I think qualifying for the Olympics is a long shot, but maybe he can get her to the point where she can go out feeling good about herself and having some options as a pro skater. It worked for Rudy Galindo.

Well who elsein ladies skating in Canada would beat her? That is the real tragedy...Joaannie we neeeeeeed you back!!!

pat c
11-20-2011, 12:43 AM
If Joannie skates for the full season before the Olympic year and places 3rd at Worlds and Cynthia places 5th again at Worlds, then Canada will have three ladies at Sochi.

This is my prediction. Bookmark it. :)

vbookie...........;) I see at least 3 different bets in your forecast.

Well who elsein ladies skating in Canada would beat her? That is the real tragedy...Joaannie we neeeeeeed you back!!!

Cynthia just needs to get it together, and as much as I'd love to see Joannie skate competitively again, if she never does that's ok. Going to Orser is a good start, will give her a new way of looking at her skating again.

4rkidz
11-20-2011, 12:48 AM
If Joannie skates for the full season before the Olympic year and places 3rd at Worlds and Cynthia places 5th again at Worlds, then Canada will have three ladies at Sochi.

This is my prediction. Bookmark it. :)

I hope you are right Peter.. and I know if I had a child skating in Quebec I would hope they would have the kind of caring coaches that Cynthia has had in her career..the reality is very few skaters make it so i would rather put my child in the hands of a nurturing coach.. there are therapists available to work with skaters on mental strength training - a coach can prepare the skater the best they can but at some point the skater has to take responsibility for their own performance - yet I do agree with the move because sometimes that is all that is needed.. not unlike parents sometimes our own kids ignore what we say but then another parent or coach can say the exact same thing and it works..

aliceanne
11-20-2011, 03:28 PM
:confused: Are you saying that Phaneuf won't make the top 20 at Worlds and therefore Canada will not have any female competitors in 2014? I have some doubts that Phaneuf can make the World podium, even top 5 again, but top 20 is doable for her. As for making the Canadian Olympic Team, there aren't any ladies biting at her heels at the moment. So, if she skates well, the title is her's for awhile. (That would change if Joannie comes back.)

That's a lot of pressure to put on a 23 year-old who is struggling with self-confidence and consistency. The Olympics are still two years away. Better to set more obtainable short-term goals. Not saying she can't do it or shouldn't try, but time is not on her side. It would be a shame if she left skating feeling like a failure after all the years she put in.

I think Skate Canada would do better to focus on getting some of the young ones up to speed.

kwanfan1818
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Even if Pfaneuf did not make the cut-off for the Olympics by having her worst showing at Worlds since Moscow in 2005, there's also the Olympic qualifying competition in Fall 2013 for the last six or so spots.

Or to put in another perspective, Amelie Lacoste placed 16th at her first trip to Worlds coming in as a late substitute for an injured Myriam Samson.

lise
11-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Although I'm thrilled that Cynthia has finally switched coaches (she should have done this years ago!), i think it may be too late. She tends to do well at Nats and that's about it. Reminds me a lot of Josee unfortunately.

I've been trying to get back into the Canadian ladies skating since the Olympics and honestly, without Joannie, i simply can't watch. Our ladies have been abysmal all season long and we went from having 2 spots for so many years to one. I'm not saying that Amelie Lacoste or Myriam Samson are not as good; however, our ladies are as inconsistent as they've ever been but it was hidden by having such a strong competitor in Joannie.

i'm praying that she comes back next season and i'm sure Skate Canada are talking to her about coming back. Whatever she decides, i'll respect. I think that the sad part is that in 2 years since the Olympics, we really have not had anyone really step up to plate and continued what Joannie has started. i'm not sure if it has to do with the skater development program because I know there is tons of talent there, but we need to find a remedy.

sk8girl
11-20-2011, 07:12 PM
This story was mentioned briefly yesterday on CBC's coverage of TEB. Brian made a nice statement complimenting Annie's work with Cynthia and saying that Cynthia just needed a change. (Sorry, i don't have the exact quote and I had to delete it right after I watched it since my pvr was literally 100% full :lol:)

iggie
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Although I'm thrilled that Cynthia has finally switched coaches (she should have done this years ago!), i think it may be too late. She tends to do well at Nats and that's about it. Reminds me a lot of Josee unfortunately.

I've been trying to get back into the Canadian ladies skating since the Olympics and honestly, without Joannie, i simply can't watch. Our ladies have been abysmal all season long and we went from having 2 spots for so many years to one. I'm not saying that Amelie Lacoste or Myriam Samson are not as good; however, our ladies are as inconsistent as they've ever been but it was hidden by having such a strong competitor in Joannie.

i'm praying that she comes back next season and i'm sure Skate Canada are talking to her about coming back. Whatever she decides, i'll respect. I think that the sad part is that in 2 years since the Olympics, we really have not had anyone really step up to plate and continued what Joannie has started. i'm not sure if it has to do with the skater development program because I know there is tons of talent there, but we need to find a remedy.

it took joannie a long time to get to the level where she was at. moreover, canada hasn't been known to develop one olympic medalist immediately after the other. before joannie, our last olympic medalist was in 1988.

KatieC
11-20-2011, 09:23 PM
canada hasn't been known to develop one olympic medalist immediately after the other. before joannie, our last olympic medalist was in 1988.

In Ladies, yes. But in mens we did quite well with Cranston, Orser, Browning, Stojko and Buttle. Well, Browning was a major contender.

Hope Cynthia enjoys her time with Brian. I think she can learn a lot from him.

Bournekraatzfan
11-21-2011, 02:28 AM
In Ladies, yes. But in mens we did quite well with Cranston, Orser, Browning, Stojko and Buttle. Well, Browning was a major contender.

Hope Cynthia enjoys her time with Brian. I think she can learn a lot from him.

true. and even in ladies, Josee had immense talent--it was just those nerves. IMO, she is one of the most talented skaters to never win a world medal.

I like what you said about enjoying her time with Brian. I love Cynthia and more than anything, I just want her to have fun and rediscover her love for skating. I am excited about this move and can't wait to see Cynthia at Nationals. I have faith in her.

Bournekraatzfan
11-21-2011, 02:31 AM
I hope you are right Peter.. and I know if I had a child skating in Quebec I would hope they would have the kind of caring coaches that Cynthia has had in her career..the reality is very few skaters make it so i would rather put my child in the hands of a nurturing coach.. there are therapists available to work with skaters on mental strength training - a coach can prepare the skater the best they can but at some point the skater has to take responsibility for their own performance - yet I do agree with the move because sometimes that is all that is needed.. not unlike parents sometimes our own kids ignore what we say but then another parent or coach can say the exact same thing and it works..

this. great analogy.

arakwafan2006
11-21-2011, 04:55 PM
this. great analogy.

Its also what Brian was quoted in so many words as saying. Sometimes the problem is comfort level not skating skill. Cynthia's weakness is definately mental not physical. If she nailed her elements and was reliable, she is so stunning that she could become a star. Hopefully the change works

Bailey_
11-21-2011, 08:48 PM
No doubt, Annie is a wonderful coach and she and Cynthia have had a special relationship all these years. But, it's quite clear that what they've been doing has not been working this past year. There is a lot to be said for a change of training environment and the opportunity to train with a fresh coaching perspective and other competitive skaters. Cynthia has the talent to be on the world podium, what she lacks is that aggressive, competitive edge. Joannie developed that edge and the confidence required to compete at the podium level in the last two years of her career. Cynthia is simply not going to make the podium if she does not challenge herself -- her triple jumps are beautiful but the lack of combinations and inconsistent flip and lutz is not enough to win world medals. She needs more technical risk, more speed, programs that show a different -- softer, lighter, but more aggressive style. I'm still hopeful that she can make this happen but she's got some work to do...

Bournekraatzfan
11-22-2011, 06:40 AM
No doubt, Annie is a wonderful coach and she and Cynthia have had a special relationship all these years. But, it's quite clear that what they've been doing has not been working this past year. There is a lot to be said for a change of training environment and the opportunity to train with a fresh coaching perspective and other competitive skaters. Cynthia has the talent to be on the world podium, what she lacks is that aggressive, competitive edge. Joannie developed that edge and the confidence required to compete at the podium level in the last two years of her career. Cynthia is simply not going to make the podium if she does not challenge herself -- her triple jumps are beautiful but the lack of combinations and inconsistent flip and lutz is not enough to win world medals. She needs more technical risk, more speed, programs that show a different -- softer, lighter, but more aggressive style. I'm still hopeful that she can make this happen but she's got some work to do...

Great points. The one thing i question is speed--Cynthia seems to me to have great speed. I saw her at SC 2010 and she really filled the arena ( and not just with her wonderful presence:) ) and her speed seems effortless. But i agree with you on the other points--she needs that aggression. It is so nice to see so much support for Cynthia. I hope she knows that she as so many people behind her.