PDA

View Full Version : Phaneuf switches to Orser

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

pinky166
11-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Cynthia seems like one of those ladies who hasn't adjusted to her adult body. She did bulk up quite a bit after her prime at age 15/16. Irina Slutskaya overcame this problem, but Cynthia looks tall as well as big to me.

It happens to a lot of skaters, but I think Cynthia growing so tall (for a skater) made it even more difficult than for some of the other skaters. She still HAS the jumps though, they are just inconsistent. Seeing Mirai bounce back from a growthspurt that reeked havoc on her jumps (even now, she has filled out considerably since that season, but her jumps are much better than in 08-09 when they pretty much abandoned her completely) makes me think Cynthia can do it, and even Caroline Zhang is making a pretty convincing comeback after drastic body changes and having bad jump technique to begin with, making her jumps bigger and better than before without losing a bunch of weight.

Japanfan
11-19-2011, 12:07 AM
It happens to a lot of skaters, but I think Cynthia growing so tall (for a skater) made it even more difficult than for some of the other skaters. She still HAS the jumps though, they are just inconsistent. Seeing Mirai bounce back from a growthspurt that reeked havoc on her jumps (even now, she has filled out considerably since that season, but her jumps are much better than in 08-09 when they pretty much abandoned her completely) makes me think Cynthia can do it, and even Caroline Zhang is making a pretty convincing comeback after drastic body changes and having bad jump technique to begin with, making her jumps bigger and better than before without losing a bunch of weight.

Cynthia is 5'6" so her growth spurt was huge. I don't think Mira's and Zhang's were comparable. And while Zhang is making a come-back (some might say) she's not expected to be American champion. Mirai certainly wants to contend, but she also doesn't have the kind of pressure that Cynthia does.

quebecoise
11-19-2011, 12:22 AM
In a French article, it says that Annie thought about a separation with Cynthia in September. From the last few months, they didn't have the chemistry they used too, they didn't have the same opinion, direction about Cynthia's skating...

If you can read French:
http://www.24hmontreal.canoe.ca/24hmontreal/sports/archives/2011/11/20111117-182723.html

triple_toe
11-19-2011, 12:46 AM
There's no way Cynthia is 5'6". She's probably 5'7" or even 5'8".

mag
11-19-2011, 01:00 AM
She is at least 5'8" if not 5'9".

flowerpower
11-19-2011, 01:06 AM
In a French article, it says that Annie thought about a separation with Cynthia in September. From the last few months, they didn't have the chemistry they used too, they didn't have the same opinion, direction about Cynthia's skating...

If you can read French:
http://www.24hmontreal.canoe.ca/24hmontreal/sports/archives/2011/11/20111117-182723.html

Thanks, quebecoise.

Hmm, awkward.... Neither of them really elaborates on the differences of opinion that had arisen, though I supposed that's to be expected.

I'm glad Cynthia made the move.

aliceanne
11-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Irina had this problem? What season?

1999, when she would have been 20. According to her wiki page she considered quitting. Christine Brennan attributed it to a changing body. Not that either of those sources are gospel, but I do remember that as early as age 14 the commentators raved about her, then later on there was a period where they were criticizing her for her weight and saying she was all washed up. Of course she was expected to win gold all the time.

DaveRocks
11-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Considering Annie says that she'd like to have Cynthia coach with her when she retires strongly suggests that they parted on amicable terms. Good.

Japanfan
11-19-2011, 08:57 AM
She is at least 5'8" if not 5'9".

Sorry, I think what had in mind was reports that she'd grown six inches.

paskatefan
11-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm hopeful that this new coaching relationship with Brian Orser will work out for Cynthia. Wishing them both the best in this collaboration.

aliceanne
11-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I think qualifying for the Olympics is a long shot, but maybe he can get her to the point where she can go out feeling good about herself and having some options as a pro skater. It worked for Rudy Galindo.

algonquin
11-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I think qualifying for the Olympics is a long shot...::confused: Are you saying that Phaneuf won't make the top 20 at Worlds and therefore Canada will not have any female competitors in 2014? I have some doubts that Phaneuf can make the World podium, even top 5 again, but top 20 is doable for her. As for making the Canadian Olympic Team, there aren't any ladies biting at her heels at the moment. So, if she skates well, the title is her's for awhile. (That would change if Joannie comes back.)

PeterG
11-19-2011, 07:52 PM
As for making the Canadian Olympic Team, there aren't any ladies biting at her heels at the moment. So, if she skates well, the title is her's for awhile. (That would change if Joannie comes back.)

If Joannie skates for the full season before the Olympic year and places 3rd at Worlds and Cynthia places 5th again at Worlds, then Canada will have three ladies at Sochi.

This is my prediction. Bookmark it. :)

mag
11-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Works for me!

Mevrouw
11-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I am just under 5'7" and have stood close to Cynthia with both of us in flat shoes and we're about the same height. She's certainly not more than 5'7".