PDA

View Full Version : Phaneuf switches to Orser

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

kwanfan1818
11-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Cynthia has the motivation for an Olympic medal in the team event. She has to know that ladies is Team Canada's weak link and pressure will be on her not to dissolve on the ice.

I'm happy to see a Canadian skater actually train with Orser. What took so long? Reynolds should head out east too.
All of this.

I'm surprised that considering last season she was practically a world medalist, that some people have such negative views... :huh:
It looks like a fluke in the context of the rest of her career, and last year, she needed a top 12 finish for two spots for Canadian women.

I think that if Czisny could do it -- and her technique was more flawed to start -- so can Pfaneuf.

Lacey
11-18-2011, 12:50 AM
I wish her well, and I hope no one expects a miracle too fast, like this year, it might take a while for her to get used to things, new city, new rink, new coach, if not this year, then next?

sequins
11-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Thank the lord! While it may be too late I'd rather she give it a shot, then just have it all fizzle out with no attempt at all. I give her credit and I hope Orser is hard on her because that is exactly what she needs. Question is can she handle it? I think she can I think she's finally ready. Better late than never. Go Cynthia!

LuckyCharm
11-18-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I know it seems that Orser is the Flavor of the Month among coaches (or he was until Yuka came along,) but I think he and Phaneuf are truly a good match. She's needed to make a change for years Here's hoping it's not too late.

JasperBoy
11-18-2011, 01:52 AM
I've always been fond of Cynthia and have enjoyed some of her performances, so I hope this works out for her.

This.

I am hopeful that Cynthia will have great success after this change.

Coco
11-18-2011, 02:02 AM
I hope that she has the support she'll need to get through this change after the euphoria wears off. It's a big move and a massive challenge in all facets of life.

I agree with Louis that this will make or break her. I'm hoping for the make, and a long successful career!

ichiro
11-18-2011, 02:11 AM
About time!! I loved that she stayed with Annie through all the ups and downs. But it was time for a change. I wish her the best

arakwafan2006
11-18-2011, 02:29 AM
She's like the most beautiful skater. I hope that indeed she has not waited too long. I do agree though that her skating is not her biggest problem. The head game was. Wait. let me rephrase. Her lack of control over nerves is what has costed her. Her skating is always lovely to see

scs
11-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Kudos to her! I hope this is the change she needs to improve her skating.

seaner00
11-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Something had to be changed for Cynthia, the status quo wasn't working anymore. For her the answer was a change of coaches. As a Canadian I really do hope she can get her self-confidence back in her skating.

Japanfan
11-18-2011, 09:14 AM
I wish her well, and I hope no one expects a miracle too fast, like this year, it might take a while for her to get used to things, new city, new rink, new coach, if not this year, then next?

I admire the work that Bryan has done and feel for Cynthia - for all she's been through and the rough competitions she's had lately.

Okay, go ahead and give me bad rep :revenge:

But I don't expect a whole lot. Although Cynthia's had a few great moments, I just don't think she's that good - or not as good as she was nor going to be that good again. Her star shone briefly when she was a teenager - excepting her wonderful FS at Worlds in 2010, her performances haven't been outstanding the past few seasons. Yes, she was solid at 2011 Nats and I too gave her a huge round of applause. But it wasn't a top-five World Championship Skate.

I think there is no comparison between Cynthia and Alissa, there is more to work with in Allissa's case. I certainly hope Bryan can help Cynthia but have to wonder if he really wanted to take her on or felt he owned it to Skate Canada. He's a coach, not a magician.

It's one thing to train a woman with Cynthia's strengths and weakness - or to train a Christina Gao - and entirely another to train a woman who is expected to be not only be Canadian Champion, but also redeem the Canadian ladies' field, and just doesn't seem up to the task.

I wish them both well, but what intense pressure for both of them.

In the meantime, I'm hoping another Canadian lady will show up and steal the show at Nationals.

mag
11-18-2011, 05:00 PM
...In the meantime, I'm hoping another Canadian lady will show up and steal the show at Nationals.

I too wish Cynthia the best of luck. I have always enjoyed her skating and it would be great to see her put two great programs together at Worlds this year. That said, I'm not sure who is going to steal the show at Nationals this year. Is there really anyone who could?

At the BC/YT Sections there were some great skates at the Pre-Novice and Novice levels, but there are often great skates at this level - heck, even the Juvenile champion was amazing. The Pre-Novice champion looks like she will age well, but the Novice and Juvenile are very young and very small. We just don't seem to be able to keep talent developing through the Senior ranks.

aliceanne
11-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Cynthia seems like one of those ladies who hasn't adjusted to her adult body. She did bulk up quite a bit after her prime at age 15/16. Irina Slutskaya overcame this problem, but Cynthia looks tall as well as big to me.

krenseby
11-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Cynthia seems like one of those ladies who hasn't adjusted to her adult body. She did bulk up quite a bit after her prime at age 15/16. Irina Slutskaya

Irina had this problem? What season?

berthesghost
11-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Irina had this problem? What season?97, 98, 99