Ziggy
11-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Share the good ones you've heard. :biggrinbo

One of the Finnish posters (sorry don't remember who it was ;P) has:
"It was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop" :D
as signature.

Marek Szewczyk, who commentates for Polish Eurosport is on fire recently:

Commenting after Caroline Zhang's bombed FS:
"She needs to work on her diet! Less of the American fast foods and maybe it's time to go back to the rice bowl".
(I was :eek: at first and then almost died laughing)

"And now Kevin Reynolds... who looks like Pinocchio." :D

He now got to the point where he starts to laugh before Kawaguchi even takes off for the twist. :saint:

There were a few other good ones but I didn't write them down and forgot. :(

aftershocks
11-17-2011, 11:36 AM
^^ :lol:

There's probably a boatload of funny comments from Mr. Dick Button over the years -- enough for a book or two.

essence_of_soy
11-17-2011, 11:46 AM
At what point do the skaters call their lawyers citing defamation?

These commentators make Santana from Glee sound like Meredith Viera.

paskatefan
11-17-2011, 11:47 AM
One of my all time favorites from "Uncle" Dickie - "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Ziggy
11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Marek Szewczyk also always seems very puzzled by Reynolds' hair. He asked whether it relates to the music and the program as if it was impossible for somebody to style their hair this way for any other reason. :D

mia joy
11-17-2011, 12:18 PM
My favourite was one comment with lots of faith in a competitor...:

"Yannick Ponsero, he's probably gonna try some quads. I stake 10:1 on that he fails" :P

DickButtonFan
11-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Worlds 1998 Dick Button says of Angelika Krylova:

Dick Button: Certainly not the carmen we're used to....you'll notice also that there is an extreme expressiveness, on her part in particular.

Terry Gannon: Does it work for you?

Dick Button: No. I find her absolutely beautiful and fascinating, but as one newspaper said, her expressiveness will reach the 70th row of the arena, unfortunately there are only 30 rows in it.:rofl:

Moka-Ananas
11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Hendryk Schamberger once commentated funnily on Gedevanishvili.
It was something like: "It's amazing she still has the jumps considering her two...obvious...obstacles..."

gingercat
11-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Dick Button "the music of the Fire Bird is taking off but she sure isn't".

Ziggy
11-17-2011, 10:21 PM
My favourite was one comment with lots of faith in a competitor...:

"Yannick Ponsero, he's probably gonna try some quads. I stake 10:1 on that he fails" :P

Hahaha, that is absolutely spot on though! ((Yannick))

Hendryk Schamberger once commentated funnily on Gedevanishvili.
It was something like: "It's amazing she still has the jumps considering her two...obvious...obstacles..."

That's also very true.

A male skater I know put on some fake boobs for a laugh during a show practice and did a 3flip wearing them. It came out a double. And he did everything exactly the same like when he does a triple.

After that experience, he gained a lot of respect for women being able to jump with their anatomy.

flowerpower
11-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Toller Cranston was always good for some memorable quotes:

About Christopher Bowman in the 1990 Worlds Exhibition (direct quote): "I only wish we could have seen this in the competition, because if we had, the ceiling would have caved in and killed everybody.....I guess his only problem is that he doesn't have an ego". :rofl:

About Isabelle Brasseur's jumping skills (paraphrasing, now): "Her jumping problems are a boil that must be lanced." :scream:

LuckyCharm
11-18-2011, 01:26 AM
I know this gets dredged up every time there's a thread like this, but Kurt Browning's calling Michelle Kwan "kinda sexy" is still one of the most :confused::rofl::scream: moments in the history of sports commentary.

RumbleFish
11-18-2011, 01:33 AM
I know this gets dredged up every time there's a thread like this, but Kurt Browning's calling Michelle Kwan "kinda sexy" is still one of the most :confused::rofl::scream: moments in the history of sports commentary.

a 14 year old Michelle Kwan, to be exact.

Sparks
11-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Peter Carruthers said last weekend about Brandon Mroz: You can't just do singles!
Duh! :lol:

attyfan
11-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Scott Hamilton's classic idiocy ... implying that Yagudin conceded the free to Plushy and may have been beaten by Goebel.