PDA

View Full Version : James Earl Jones, Oprah Winfrey given honorary Oscars

pat c
11-17-2011, 01:47 AM
James Earl Jones has been presented with a lifetime achievement award from the Academy of Motion Pictures of Arts and Sciences for his nearly six decades in film, while media mogul Oprah Winfrey has been given the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

Mr. Jones has one of the most distinctive voices to ever hit the screen. Congrats. Good call. :)

duane
11-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Mr. Jones has one of the most distinctive voices to ever hit the screen. Congrats. Good call. :)
I agree. But Oprah? The past recipients seem to have made a significant contribution to the film industry. I don't think Oprah falls in that category.

Rex
11-18-2011, 02:57 AM
I adore JEJs magnificent voice and have been a major fan of his since I was a kid.

Andrushka
11-18-2011, 03:00 AM
I don't think Oprah should get it either.But totally James Earl Jones!

moojja
11-18-2011, 03:10 AM
I agree. But Oprah? The past recipients seem to have made a significant contribution to the film industry. I don't think Oprah falls in that category.

She's getting the Humanitarian Award. I'm guessing for that award, the recipient's film career isn't as important.

pat c
11-18-2011, 03:12 AM

I questioned Oprah as well, but then I thought she's gonna get it someday. Might as well get it over with. ;)

James Earl Jones otoh.......should have had it a long time ago.

manhn
11-18-2011, 05:54 AM
Oprah should already have an Oprah for her work on The Color Purple. So much better than Anjelica Huston in Prizzi's Honor.

Louise
11-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Boooo Oprah. What a suck up the Academy is now. JHC. She's made what 2 motion pictures? Gag.

Don't get me wrong, I love O, and her Sofia in Color Purple was perfection. She didn't win the Oscar, so what, Margaret Avery turned in just as good a performance and had more screen time than O. Neither was more deserving.

Oh well, people are dying, losing their homes, can't afford to pay their bills and health costs. I'm not going to cry over this one.

VALuvsMKwan
11-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Oprah should already have an Oprah for her work on The Color Purple. So much better than Anjelica Huston in Prizzi's Honor.

I'm sure you meant an "Oscar" - but since everything "O" in her world seems to revolve around her name, maybe she thinks of it that way as well. ;)

paskatefan
11-18-2011, 10:09 AM

I adore JEJs magnificent voice and have been a major fan of his since I was a kid.

:respec: Should have happened long before now, but better late than never.