PDA

View Full Version : Gordeeva & Grinkov

Pages : [1] 2

Moka-Ananas
11-15-2011, 10:29 PM
With Sergei's day of death coming up next weekend I reread a few passages of Katia's book and watched the documentary "My Sergei" today.

They were truly the greatest pair ever and their story is so unique and just broke my heart and I cried like a baby :wuzrobbed.

I'm happy for Katia she found happiness again with Ilia. What is she doing now btw.?

Macassar88
11-16-2011, 12:39 AM
With Sergei's day of death coming up next weekend I reread a few passages of Katia's book and watched the documentary "My Sergei" today.

They were truly the greatest pair ever and their story is so unique and just broke my heart and I cried like a baby :wuzrobbed.

I'm happy for Katia she found happiness again with Ilia. What is she doing now btw.?

Last year she won battle of the blades and broke the trophy
Now she's doing skating shows (I think stars on ice)

paskatefan
11-16-2011, 10:36 AM
We were privileged to see them in SOI in the mid 1990's. Loved them since the Calgary Olympics. Katia & Ilia will be touring in SOI. I think that includes the Japan leg of the tour. Sadly, there are only 10 shows for the US part, as many of you know by now (see the SOI thread).

Morry Stillwell
11-16-2011, 07:18 PM

I see her at competitions in Southern California coaching.:)

Sasha'sSpins
11-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I will be always feel grateful to have seen them skate in the '90's. Good memories. They're my favorite pairs team forever. I wish they had their own smiley icon here. :cool:

Moka-Ananas
11-17-2011, 02:17 PM
I will be always feel grateful to have seen them skate in the '90's. Good memories. They're my favorite pairs team forever. I wish they had their own smiley icon here. :cool:

they definitely deserve one!
I was too small and not yet into figure skating when they were still competing, so I watched everything afterwards. They are truly the best pair ever :swoon:

sadya
11-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Lucky are the ones who saw G&G alive and lucky is Gordeeva to have found love again. I used to have my doubts about it, because some weird people were emailing me weird stories against both Kulik and Gordeeva until I wasn't sure what to believe anymore. Most of them live in the US, so I believed them and was disappointed until I met other people from the US who told me different and positive facts which were different and made me realise never to believe every negative thing people claim about someone.

There are still weird negative stories out there against both G&G and Gordeeva and Kulik. Whatever they are, don't believe them, none of us knew Grinkov personally and none of us know Gordeeva and Kulik personally. We should just enjoy their skating and be grateful to have the chance to see some of the best skating ever!

May both Kulik and Gordeeva give us many more amazing programs. May Sergei be in peace where ever he is. One of my fantasies is that some day someone posts a tape on YouTube of a G&G program no one has ever seen before, something that was skated somewhere once and then not used again, but taped by a fan and now available for everyone. Then we'd still have a new G&G program to watch. Until then, we keep enjoying what they already gave us. :)

Simone411
11-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Something beautiful I'd like to share:

Smile (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRwBAfiMDXg)

Thanks for starting this thread. :)

dariaparadise
11-17-2011, 05:33 PM
G&G are certainly the best skaters ever and they will forever live in all of our hearts. I am so happy everytime someone start a thread on them.

I would also love to mention that today Katia probably skates better than any ladies single skaters who have retired in 1990's or before. Needless to say her skating skills and edges, but she still lands 2-axels and even triple jumps. She does so much better than Kristi Yamaguchi, Midori Ito, Oksana Baiul or Nancy Kerrigan today. Or possibly outskates Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes. She was born as a pair skater, but she made such an amazing long career as a solo performer. I am so proud!!

Lacey
11-18-2011, 01:04 AM
I would also love to mention that today Katia probably skates better than any ladies single skaters who have retired in 1990's or before.

Or possibly outskates Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes.

Or probably does. Grace personified.

stanhope
11-18-2011, 04:03 AM
Their most beautiful exhibition, in perfect quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0EcBMtW0U

Wyliefan
11-18-2011, 04:08 AM
Last year she won battle of the blades and broke the trophy

Broke the trophy? Why? :confused:

Guinevere
11-18-2011, 04:27 AM

They dropped the trophy or something like that on the last episode when they were doing a victory lap. Apparently the top of the trophy wasn't actually fixed to the base so when she picked up the base of the trophy, the top just slipped off and shattered on ice. I think it happened the year before too but didn't break the trophy. Would have thought that CBC would have maybe realized that after the first incident and fixed it!!!

That was the only season I really watched Battle of the Blades and I was one of those voting every hour to make sure Gordeeva and Bure stayed on the show. Was kinda embarrassed at how often they were almost kicked off.

ITA with all of you - G&G are my favorite pair of all time. Sometimes I get sad when I watched pairs now because it's like no one can match them and the time of great pairs has passed.

Bournekraatzfan
11-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Thank you for starting this thread, Moka-Ananas. I was going to start one on November 20th. I have also been re-reading My Sergei recently, and thinking about all Sergei's loved ones as this anniversary approaches.

They are also my all-time favourite pair, and I am so glad that we have youtube and G&G corner as archives of their career. For me, they really embodied pairs skating--their unison, their intimate connection to each other and the music, their ability to perform real programs with difficult choreography (not just amazing tricks, which they certainly had)...their love for skating and for each other was just so evident whenever they took the ice. I miss them so much.

I am happy that we still get to see Katia. I was so excited to see her on BotB last year and hope I get to see her skate live one day.

ChibiChibi
11-18-2011, 06:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXj9hKtPLCY&feature=related

Around 6'25", the top of the trophy fell and shattered on the ice. Katia didn't break it. :lol: