PDA

View Full Version : Ross Miner: "... the men's sold out in three minutes after they put up the tickets.."

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

nicecardshark
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
(Ross Miner, right after winning the bronze at NHK):

"It's AMAZING to skate in Japan, with a sold-out stadium. I don't think there's a seat left. I heard that the men's sold out in three minutes after they put up the tickets. That's incredible.

"It's so cool to come here and have fans that are so knowledgeable about skating, and also so polite. It's great to come to Japan."

Well it's good to know that skating is thriving somewhere, especially after witnessing first-hand the dismal turnout in Ontario for Skate America.

johndockley92
11-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I wish skating was as popular here :|

euterpe
11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
What was the cost of tickets in Japan as compared to the cost in the US?

Aaron W
11-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Or compared to the cost in Canada considering the highway robbery that is the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships...

Cachoo
11-15-2011, 05:06 PM
How big should a venue be for an American skating event if you want to put people in seats? How big was the NHK venue?

ChibiChibi
11-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Here is what I found:

NHK 2011

Arena 12,000 yen ($156) $1= 77 yen
SS 11,000 yen ($143)
S 8,000 yen ($104)
A 5,000 yen ($65)
B 3,000 yen ($39)

3-year-old and up needed a ticket.
Younger than 3 were not allowed to attend.

Skate America 2011

Gold Ticket $30-$40
Silver Ticket $20-$30
12years and Under $15

They also had "Buy 4 tickets and get 4 Free tickets for Men's FS" deal :lol:

yukky
11-15-2011, 05:51 PM
How big was the NHK venue?

according to Wiki, venue holds about 11500.

BittyBug
11-15-2011, 05:52 PM
How big should a venue be for an American skating event if you want to put people in seats? How big was the NHK venue?I don't think the problem is so much the size of the venue but the location. Why did the USFSA choose Ontario, when it doesn't seem to have been able to draw on a local audience? Why not an area that has more of a skating base, like someplace in the Mid West (Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit) or North East (NY Metro, Boston, Hartford).

loopey
11-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Well in all fairness to Ontario California (my home town), the event was not advertised to the masses.

And I totally understand why... The cost of advertising in California is ridiculous. Who could afford to advertise it? And from what I have heard, when events are held at Staples Center, AEG chips in with some advertising $$. I doubt Citizens Bank Arena would do the same, and certainly not on the same scale.

taf2002
11-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Well in all fairness to Ontario California (my home town), the event was not advertised to the masses.

And I totally understand why... The cost of advertising in California is ridiculous. Who could afford to advertise it? And from what I have heard, when events are held at Staples Center, AEG chips in with some advertising $$. I doubt Citizens Bank Arena would do the same, and certainly not on the same scale.

Your post is a good argument NOT to hold an event in Ontario.

sk9tingfan
11-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Well it's good to know that skating is thriving somewhere, especially after witnessing first-hand the dismal turnout in Ontario for Skate America.

I blame the dismal turnout in Ontario at Skate America on USFSA and abysmal judgment. You don't put two major skating events in the same state within a three month period and for that matter in a very expensive state. And, if you count Four Continents, that makes 3 US-based events in the west in less than a four month period. People who live on the East Coast get slammed three times in a row, if they would even think of attending more than one of those. People start to revolt at some point.

Although it may be pure speculation on my part, I believe that they put Evan at the forefront of their marketing campaign, believing that featuring the reigning Olympic champion at the helm would pull in unprecedented crowds. Well, they guessed wrong. I also believe that in their financial arrangements with Evan, they guaranteed him a certain level of appearance fee. My further speculation was that given how the wind was blowing with SA ticket sales, they indicated that they couldn't compensate him at that level which caused him to pull out.

There hasn't been anyone since Michelle Kwan and possibly Brian Boitano who was an automatic draw and US Figure Skating should learn that. If there is in the future, then that person would be as close to the Messiah. :(

sk9tingfan
11-15-2011, 06:19 PM

When I went to NHK in 2009, the cost for the entire package ran me about $500. Of course, some of the difference was due to the exchange rate because the yen was so strong. I have no idea how much NHK prices were this year.

Sparks
11-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Also, Japan has some true bona fide STARS right now.

Sasha'sSpins
11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Here is what I found:

NHK 2011

Arena 12,000 yen ($156) $1= 77 yen
SS 11,000 yen ($143)
S 8,000 yen ($104)
A 5,000 yen ($65)
B 3,000 yen ($39)

3-year-old and up needed a ticket.
Younger than 3 were not allowed to attend.

Skate America 2011

Gold Ticket $30-$40
Silver Ticket $20-$30
12years and Under $15

They also had "Buy 4 tickets and get 4 Free tickets for Men's FS" deal :lol:

I think that's sad. :(

manleywoman
11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Why not an area that has more of a skating base, like someplace in the Mid West (Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit) or North East (NY Metro, Boston, Hartford).

Chicago would be a great place to hold an event: easy to get to, tons of fans from the area and a few hours beyond. But Chicago never gets events because, I'm assuming, no club or LOC wants to do it.