PDA

View Full Version : Worlds on their minds: skaters with French themed programs

Pages : [1] 2

essence_of_soy
11-15-2011, 03:39 PM
With the senior season under way, I can think of two so far.

Alissa Czisny's SP to La Vie En Rose, and Virtue / Moir's FD to Funny Face

pingu
11-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Contesti's LP to La Vie En Rose (and other french songs I can't remember now), Weaver/Poje to Je Suis Malade

marbri
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Where is the French theme in Funny Face? Apparently the movie itself takes place in Paris but where is that obvious anywhere in the actual program.

mia joy
11-15-2011, 06:41 PM
My sister says that Canadians often try to be more French than the French. I must admit she has a point, especially Canadian dance teams tend to use French music really often. This season it's Weaver/Poje, but I can recall a lot of ODs, FDs or exhibitions made by Canadian teams with French music.

aftershocks
11-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Well, many of them are "French" Canadians.

zilam98
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Where is the French theme in Funny Face? Apparently the movie itself takes place in Paris but where is that obvious anywhere in the actual program.

i agree. i also actually thought french themed meant programs that had innovative moves/choreography that the french usually do. ;)

TwizzlerS
11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
I remember when Worlds was in Paris many years ago (early 90's), there were tons of can-can programs. Thank god we haven't seen that yet.

I think Contesti's other music is a Jacques Brel piece. So, it's French.

TwizzlerS
11-15-2011, 08:24 PM
I remember when Worlds was in Paris many years ago (early 90's), there were tons of can-can programs. Thank god we haven't seen that yet.

I think Contesti's other music is a Jacques Brel piece. So, it's French.

Emdee
11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
I thought Jacques Brel was Belgian.

marbri
11-15-2011, 10:40 PM
My sister says that Canadians often try to be more French than the French. I must admit she has a point, especially Canadian dance teams tend to use French music really often. This season it's Weaver/Poje, but I can recall a lot of ODs, FDs or exhibitions made by Canadian teams with French music.

Just wait until the Grand Prix Final, your sister will see loads of Canadians trying to be more French than the French:rolleyes:

essence_of_soy
11-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Updated:

Oda FS is The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Verner uses La Vie En Rose for part of his FS

cholla
11-16-2011, 08:02 AM
I thought Jacques Brel was Belgian.

And you were right, he was.

I remember a Russian couple skating to a Mireille Mathieu's song not long ago but can't remember names and title...

Libertango
11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Lara Fabian isn't french either :drama:

PashaFan
11-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Weaver/Poje BUT they have my heart with their new free dance.
I was already a fan of this song since I saw Abitbol & Bernadis skate to this at the ARD Gala on ice a few years ago.
Weaver /Poje skate to this with such passion.
HOW DID THEY NOT WIN THE NHK TROPHY?!!!!!
I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this but the Shibutani's REALLY make me want to go to sleep !

mia joy
11-16-2011, 06:22 PM
I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this but the Shibutani's REALLY make me want to go to sleep !

I don't think you're gonna get hate, many people agree with you here. IMO they have zero personality and very limited interpretation skills and expression. I mean, basically all they've shown so far is smiles and happy teen faces. They're still very juniorish in this area. Plus their FD isn't a choreographical masterpiece either.

As for W/P, the FD is quite enjoyable indeed, however I can't stop thinking of how stiff Kaitlyn looks and how bad her lines are. She's basically doing all elements with her knees bent a little and it's even more visible in her FD dress. The costume is not doing her any favour IMHO.