PDA

View Full Version : Skater Mervin Tran mulls turning Japanese

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

yunasashafan
11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Maybe he has, and that's why he made such a statement. ;)

my point exactly :) sorry I wasn't clear

julieann
11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
:rofl:

Good luck, he'll need it :rolleyes:

Jenna
11-14-2011, 10:10 PM
:rofl:

Good luck, he'll need it :rolleyes:

There's no reason to roll eyes. Sheesh, the guy is just trying his best. :blah:

Jarrett
11-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Uh.. what connection does he have to Japan besides skating with a Japanese skater? I hope this is not approved.

julieann
11-14-2011, 10:35 PM
There's no reason to roll eyes. Sheesh, the guy is just trying his best. :blah:

The Olympics are in 26 months the next Olympics are 6 years away. Maybe if they moved to Japan, trained in Japan, married a Japanese citizen, learned the language...maybe he would have a shot by 2018, maybe, but from what I hear, I doubt it.

Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Markuntsov broke up because it was impossible for him to get citizenship.

Lara
11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
The Olympics are in 26 months the next Olympics are 6 years away. Maybe if they moved to Japan, trained in Japan, married a Japanese citizen, learned the language...maybe he would have a shot by 2018, maybe, but from what I hear, I doubt it.

Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Markuntsov broke up because it was impossible for him to get citizenship.

The fact is we've had Japanese citizens being the ones to give up (Inoue and Kavaguti) but never the reverse AFAIK.

That said, he should go ahead and try if he wants as long as he's realistic about his chances. If you don't make the attempt than it's 100% it won't happen after all. But I wouldn't blame Japan for not wanting to give citizenship to a person with so few ties. They'd probably have to be on a higher level (as in OGM contenders) to have a real shot, and in that case they'd be capable of winning Canadian Nats instead.

ETA - I should probably say *any* shot and that's not going to happen unless a miracle occurs with Narumi's triple jumps. :(

doubleflutz
11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
One thing that the article and Wikipedia don't mention: you need to speak (hard) and write (really really freaking hard) fluent Japanese in order to obtain citizenship. There are a lot of forms to fill out and an entire interview process, and they must be conducted in Japanese. No exceptions. He may have picked up a decent amount of Japanese by speaking with Narumi/her family/any translators around her, but there's no way he developed the necessary facility with the written language while skating at such a high level.

julieann
11-14-2011, 10:57 PM
The fact is we've had Japanese citizens being the ones to give up (Inoue and Kavaguti) but never the reverse AFAIK.

There was a good reson they had to skate for other countries if they wanted to go to the Oympics.

robinhood
11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't think the Olympics are the one and all competition in Figure Skating:dog:
Of course, Olympics are huge and have much more repercussion than anything else, but I'm sure they can make a good legacy for them without an Olympic medal. I'll enjoy them the same or even more.:) Look at Kurt Browning:cool:

Yukari Lepisto
11-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't think the Olympics are the one and all competition in Figure Skating:dog:
Of course, Olympics are huge and have much more repercussion than anything else, but I'm sure they can make a good legacy for them without an Olympic medal. I'll enjoy them the same or even more.:) Look at Kurt Browning:cool:

It's not really about the medals, vast majority go to the olympics knowing they don't have a shot at the medal whatsoever, and only about 10% of the people just to have a chance at it. But it's about participating in the olympics. That's why at US Nationals or Canadian Nationals the season of the olympics, making the top 2 or top 3 just make it a lot more special and that's why you see so much tears at the nationals of those seasons.

my little pony
11-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Uh.. what connection does he have to Japan besides skating with a Japanese skater? I hope this is not approved.

:lol: it's not like they only team up at public sessions for exercise

DORISPULASKI
11-15-2011, 12:08 AM
If there is going to be a team medal, there is more incentive, but I just don't see this happening unless Mervin is really talented at learning to write in Japanese.

easilydistracte
11-15-2011, 12:21 AM
How about having provided "extraordinary service to Japan"? maybe in the eyes of JSF, being a very (the first?) successful pair skater constitutes extraordinary service??
I think "extraordinary service to Japan" would probably be more along the lines of volunteering to go into the Daiichi Nuclear Plant to shut down the reactor; or maybe saving the lives of the Crown Prince and his family during a typhoon at his (Mervin's) own great personal risk; or maybe single-handedly thwarting a terrorist attack against the Tokyo subway system and saving tens of thousands of people; or possibly coming up with an elegant and simple solution to Japan's economic woes and saving the country from bankruptcy. Somehow, I don't think skating pairs with a Japanese citizen and competing internationally and winning medals is what the Japanese government had in mind when they wrote the words "extraordinary service to Japan."

ChibiChibi
11-15-2011, 12:42 AM
I think "extraordinary service to Japan" would probably be more along the lines of volunteering to go into the Daiichi Nuclear Plant to shut down the reactor; or maybe saving the lives of the Crown Prince and his family during a typhoon at his (Mervin's) own great personal risk; or maybe single-handedly thwarting a terrorist attack against the Tokyo subway system and saving tens of thousands of people; or possibly coming up with an elegant and simple solution to Japan's economic woes and saving the country from bankruptcy. Somehow, I don't think skating pairs with a Japanese citizen and competing internationally and winning medals is what the Japanese government had in mind when they wrote the words "extraordinary service to Japan."

:lol:

On top of all those, the person must speak/read/write Japanese fluently!

I think it's much much much much easier for Narumi to become a Canadian citizen than Marvin to become a Japanese citizen. Then again, since they have been representing Japan for last several years, they'll have to sit for a year or two before they start representing Canada, I believe.

Anyway, it's impossible for him to become a Japanese citizen by 2018 or even 2022.

rfisher
11-15-2011, 12:51 AM
If Tran wants to go to the Olympics, I know a lovely US skater who would look very good skating with him. Much easier for him to get US citizenship. :saint: