PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Wagner

Pages : [1] 2 3

arakwafan2006
11-14-2011, 06:36 PM
With the exception of Mao Asada, nobody looks more re-vamped if you will than Ashley. She's clearly well trained, she is packaged well and in my mind, she is a hell of a performer! Its like put her in front of an audience and she turns on.

With that, am i the only one who HATES the choreography of her new programs? They are so weird looking. Ashley seems serious about re establishing herself as a relevent skater and it shows. The choreography though seems so irrelovent though... with her performance ability, i think that Shae Lynn would be a good choice as well as David Wilson. She just loooks like she works her butt off but those programs to me look club level or budget level.

Am i alone?:confused:

Coco
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
It's not really accessable choreo designed to appeal to the masses - I'm guessing. So I understand where you are coming from.

What I do love is how much she appears to understand it. I think this aspect of her skating has improved a lot. Before she was obviously talented but watching here skate was a bit like watching a little soldier march with arms and legs. So her openness or connection, or whatever you call it, draws me in more than the most appealing combination of music and choreography.

She's getting a very raw deal on the PCS unless there's something I'm missing. It's hard to gauge the speed from TV, so maybe she's deficient there. But I don't think she's any slower than a lot of skaters who are beating her on the 2nd mark.

hanca
11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Actually, I love the choreography of the swan lake. She seems to be able to express it well. I would have never thought it about her in the past, I would never choose that music for her, and she pleasantly surprised me.

Skatingfan4ever
11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I love Ashley Wagner's programs. They are so different than the same old programs that are done over and over again. Her choreography to black swan is amazing and her short program is great too. I don't know why skaters can't do new programs? Are they afraid to try something new, so they have to do Carmen or something like that over and over again?

BigB08822
11-14-2011, 09:34 PM
I love Ashley and I love both of her routines. Maybe it is my bias coming through because I have always loved her. They remind me of Kwan's Miraculous Mandarin in that they use movement in different ways than we typically see in skating but I love that. I wish she would get her due in PCS marks because Leonova outscoring her on PCS is a joke, IMO. Maybe if she keeps skating well she will see a boost. I probably wont be able to watch her Nationals SP this year, that is a HUGE hurdle for her to overcome as she has crashed and burned too many times there.

Jenna
11-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Ashley looks great this season. Like the SP, LOVE the FS. She really got hosed at NHK - the bronze should have been hers. She was pissed in the interview, too. She has every right to be.

It's okay, though. This will give her more time to work toward Nationals. I think she needs to go big or go home in San Jose. That means 3F+3T in the SP and 3F+3T and 2A+3T in the FS. She could be national champion this year if she holds it together. The coaching change has been an obvious success.

Skatingfan4ever
11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Ashley looks great this season. Like the SP, LOVE the FS. She really got hosed at NHK - the bronze should have been hers. She was pissed in the interview, too. She has every right to be.

It's okay, though. This will give her more time to work toward Nationals. I think she needs to go big or go home in San Jose. That means 3F+3T in the SP and 3F+3T and 2A+3T in the FS. She could be national champion this year if she holds it together. The coaching change has been an obvious success.

Yeah, I think she should won bronze at NHK. I was pissed too. But I wasn't the one out there skating.

Wyliefan
11-15-2011, 02:11 AM
I love Ashley and I love both of her routines. Maybe it is my bias coming through because I have always loved her.

Same here. And it's really cool that more people are finally seeing what us diehards have always seen in her. :) I'm not saying that she isn't better trained and better packaged this year than she ever has been -- she clearly is. But for those of us who have always seen something special in her, it's wonderful to see her winning more and more people over.

Coco
11-15-2011, 02:21 AM

A clean SP would be bigger than a 3-3, lol. No UR's, no 2ft landings and no jumps with built in deductions!

YOU CAN DO IT, ASHLEY!!!

aftershocks
11-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Wyliefan, Absolutely!

Marco
11-15-2011, 02:34 AM
A clean SP would be bigger than a 3-3, lol. No UR's, no 2ft landings and no jumps with built in deductions!

YOU CAN DO IT, ASHLEY!!!

Yes, although with just a 3flip2toe and 3loop I also worry that she may get left in the dust by Alissa's and Mirai's GOEs and PCS and also by the higher base mark of Gao and Zawadzki.

Marco
11-15-2011, 02:40 AM
I love Ashley and I love both of her routines.

I like the short program - although the music is quite repetitive and it has too much arms for my taste. Like I said in the other thread, I think she needs to interpret and express the music with her whole body and esp. the blades.

I think the free program has potential - but she needs to build on a climax at the end instead of let the excitment of all the big triples near the end die with a crawling, unexciting step sequence. This is one instance where I think having her fly across the rink with less steps would have much better impact. She also needs to hit her final pose with more force and passion if that makes sense. Like I said in the other thread, I want to see some leaps in her program! Stag jumps, falling leaves, split jumps, she can do them!

Coco
11-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Yes, although with just a 3flip2toe and 3loop I also worry that she may get left in the dust by Alissa's and Mirai's GOEs and PCS and also by the higher base mark of Gao and Zawadzki.

She just needs to say in striking distance, imo, and get some momentum. Baby steps!!

By rights, if everything else goes to form, she should have been the GPF alternate. If she skates clean at Nationals, they had better send her to 4CC if she's not top 2.

Gao and Zawadzki, like everyone else, have to hit.

sadya
11-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I like all her programs this season, especially her lp. I even enjoyed her ex number while nowadays I often don't watch them all because much of the music they choose for that is beyond my taste. I liked Wagner since the Olympic year and really wanted her to be on the Olympic team too. Now, almost two years later, she has improved so much and who knows what happens in 2014? I don't see her medalling though, not with the new talents coming up, but it would be nice to see her do well and keep enjoying her programs.

(and this has nothing to do with her skating, but her face is so cute! I love her nose :) her face has such a sweet quality)

paskatefan
11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
As much as I like Alena Leonova over all, I felt Ashley should have been on the podium.