PDA

View Full Version : Android vs. iPhone

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Prancer
11-18-2011, 04:32 AM
And many of the mobile operators offered iPhones for just $60-100 with the contract for several years, but this offer was good only for the businessmen who would never change mobile operator, not for the students or young people who change it rather easily for the reasons of cutting down on expenses.

Most people in the US get two-year contracts and (whether they realize it or not) pay the actual cost of the phone spread over that two years in monthly payments; cell phones that are purchased directly outside of contracts usually cost a lot more. An iPhone 4G without a contract runs around $600-$700, I believe.

Lara
11-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Most people in the US get two-year contracts and (whether they realize it or not) pay the actual cost of the phone spread over that two years in monthly payments; cell phones that are purchased directly outside of contracts usually cost a lot more. An iPhone 4G without a contract runs around $600-$700, I believe.

Part of the reason is that we only have two main GSM networks (AT&T and T-Mobile) and they're not even on the same frequency so 3G coverage isn't interchangeable. Pretty much everything else is CDMA (notably Verizon and Sprint) which doesn't use SIM cards. Plus you don't have the number of countries within short traveling distance as you do in Europe. So there's little occasion to swap SIMs, and in that case you might as well save the $ on a carrier subsidized phone. It might be different if the monthly costs were lower on an unlocked phone, but that's not even the case.

FarFarAway
11-18-2011, 06:16 AM
An iPhone 4G without a contract runs around $600-$700, I believe.
$600-$700 is the price I have to pay for most part of the latest phones here, such as Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc or HTCs or some Samsungs. There are cheaper phones on Androids/Windows Mobile/Symbian, but they lack some functions. So if I want to be modern, I will have to pay something about $700.

I doubt that Samsung Galaxy Nexus will cost less when it appears. I'm expecting the price of about $800.

Part of the reason is that we only have two main GSM networks (AT&T and T-Mobile) and they're not even on the same frequency so 3G coverage isn't interchangeable. Pretty much everything else is CDMA (notably Verizon and Sprint) which doesn't use SIM cards. Plus you don't have the number of countries within short traveling distance as you do in Europe. So there's little occasion to swap SIMs, and in that case you might as well save the $ on a carrier subsidized phone. It might be different if the monthly costs were lower on an unlocked phone, but that's not even the case.
Yeah, that's right. In Russia CDMA networks are not so numerous and they are less developed. For the most part we use GSM networks and 3G coverage is available only in three of them, but they are nation-wide networks working on the same frequencies, so switching is easy, but may be rather costly.

Actually, I may have considered iPhone with the contract from one of the operators or my operator, but I have been staying with my current operator for 6 years by now and with each year I pay less and get more bonus points for being loyal, so my tariff is quite cheap at the moment and in most cases I pay the same price for everything in national roaming, as I would have paid staying in my city, or it is just a little bit higher than usual. Taking into account that Russia is really a vast country this turns out to be quite a way to cut down on my expenses, so I really don't want to change the operator or get the new contract with an iPhone, since the conditions of service are not transferable.

Prancer
11-18-2011, 06:31 AM

That's all true, plus a lot of phones are carrier-specific. If you want a certain phone, you sometimes have to go with the carrier that has it AND have a contract with that carrier. For a long time, if you wanted an iPhone, you had to go with AT&T.

The Samsung Galaxy is apparently set to sell for around $700US in the UK.

And soon we might have a whole new contender in the Kindle phone (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2126099/amazon-launch-kindle-phone). Amazon is really branching out.

aliceanne
11-18-2011, 07:42 PM
The battery shouldn't be dying. My kid has my old iPhone 3s and it's been around as long as that phone has been available with no issues. None of our various iPhone ever had battery issues. Did you ask about them replacing it under warranty? If the warranty expired, that really sucks, because that's definitely a faulty battery issue!

And you can put in a different SIM card. I did that when I went to Canada so I could get an international texting .

A normal person would probably have get a longer life out of their battery, but I watch a lot of YouTube on my phone. A bad habit, I know, but I can't seem to stop it.

As far as removable SIMS, I can't remove mine, I would have to take it to the AT&T store to have it done. With a blackberry I can just pop off the back. I assume you can't use the SIM for one phone on a different phone?

MacMadame
11-18-2011, 08:14 PM
A normal person would probably have get a longer life out of their battery, but I watch a lot of YouTube on my phone. A bad habit, I know, but I can't seem to stop it.
It really shouldn't matter. These batteries should last for YEARS. (And trust me, my daughter who has my old phone abuses it like crazy.) I would definitely complain about the first phone's battery.

As far as removable SIMS, I can't remove mine, I would have to take it to the AT&T store to have it done. With a blackberry I can just pop off the back. I assume you can't use the SIM for one phone on a different phone?
In the iPhone 4, you just stick a pin to a hole on top of the phone.

aliceanne
11-19-2011, 12:46 AM
It really shouldn't matter. These batteries should last for YEARS. (And trust me, my daughter who has my old phone abuses it like crazy.) I would definitely complain about the first phone's battery.

In the iPhone 4, you just stick a pin to a hole on top of the phone.

I think it may have been the charger. I still have the old phone and I just tried charging it with the cord and adapter that I got with the new phone and voila!

Well that was an expensive lesson, but the upgraded phone is faster.

MacMadame
11-19-2011, 07:30 AM
I think it may have been the charger.

I just got a postcard about a class action suite against Apple related to their power cords. Same issue maybe?

oleada
12-06-2011, 11:06 PM
BUMP

Android is offering premium apps for 10 cents each to celebrate 10 billion downloads:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/06/android-market-reaches-10-billion-downloads-begins-10-days-of-premium-apps-for-just-10-cents/#more-54929

rjblue
12-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks.

I got Minecraft for my son (because he really needs more time playing THAT game), Paper Camera, and Sound hound for myself (it works!), and Color and Draw for my grandbabby.

The offer is on for the next 10 days, and they are going to offer different apps.

cruisin
12-07-2011, 02:04 AM
I have long nails which are impossible for typing on a virtual keyboard. Just bought the Samsung Stratosphere....slide out keyboard.....new best friend. Also discovered the stylus for my Charge (work phone). I am one happy camper....and so are all the people I try to text.

The beauty of the new iPhone - you don't have to type test messages. You tell Siri who you want to send a message to, then say the message, Siri sends it.

rjblue
12-07-2011, 02:10 AM
The beauty of the new iPhone - you don't have to type test messages. You tell Siri who you want to send a message to, then say the message, Siri sends it.
Has anyone tried to get Siri to help them with any "female" issues? (http://amaditalks.tumblr.com/post/13513981784/siri) Because this really gives me the creeps if it is true.

cruisin
12-07-2011, 02:44 AM
I think it depends on how you ask the question. I asked for Planned Parenthood, it gave me 2 locations. I was surprised, however, that it could not find a rape crisis center. Although, I think most people would go to the police or a hospital. so, maybe that is the question to ask - where is the closest police station/hospital.

MacMadame
12-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Apple must have bought their databases from a really conservative source. I bet they are mightily embarrassed now because it's not just that Siri is falling down on the job, but the response for things like being raped were downright ugly.

IceAlisa
12-07-2011, 03:32 AM
My Siri provided me with 2 locations for Planned Parenthood as well.

However, Siri doesn't know where to get an appendectomy--provides a Google search for appendicitis. Same for tonsillectomy. Perhaps medical terms are not in the database.