PDA

View Full Version : Android vs. iPhone

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

aliceanne
11-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I've never had anything but IPhones, so I can't compare. I currently have the IPhone 4, and it is fine as far as battery life and speed. If you are not into tech, there is nothing to learn, just touch the icon for whatever you want to do.

The one thing to consider with the IPhone is that it doesn't have a removable SIM card or battery. When the battery dies you have to get a new phone (about $70 if you are not upgrading). What I dislike the most about this that you lose all of your contacts, photos, and settings. True, you can back them up on your computer and reload them into the new phone, but this is extra work.

If you are a person who has extensive contacts and depend on your phone as a directory, this is something to consider.

My IPhone 3G lasted one year before I needed a new battery.

FarFarAway
11-17-2011, 06:55 PM
The one thing to consider with the IPhone is that it doesn't have a removable SIM card or battery.

Oh....I guess the iPhone versions in Russia are a little bit different, I have never heard about the fact that SIM card cannot be removed from this phone.

Anyway, neither upgrading nor buying the new iPhone in this case is not the option here - 1300 dollars is quite a high price.

Prancer
11-17-2011, 07:12 PM
No, I didn't. I figured I didn't have too since it restarted itself but maybe I should do it manually anyways. I'll try it, take out the battery for a couple of minutes and everything. Thanks, Prancer!

Every time I have some glitchy little thing happen on a tech device, my computer programmer husband will say, "Did you get an update? Did you do a reboot?"

I never did reboots because I figured it was done for me, but sure enough, turn it off, pause, turn it back on, and everything works.

I don't take the battery out, though. Too much work. :P

I guess I really need the big screen phone so that the keys aren't too small for me.:shuffle:

I have big hands and that was one of my concerns. It's helpful to have a phone that has a keyboard in landscape mode--the touch keys are bigger that way.

But I downloaded an app called Vlingo that I like better. I tap the app, tap SPEAK and say "Text Son I will pick you up at 6:30."

And it sends my son a text saying "I will pick you up at 6:30."

:D

You can set it for hands free use, too.

I think it is just the iPhone for now but I bet the Android people (and others) are working furiously to come up with something comparable.

Google Voice (I think) will answer questions and some of it is snarky, but it has no actual voice. But you can ask it questions and get replies on screen.

I am sure they are working on something Siri-ish, but I hope they figure out how to reduce battery use with it.

loopey
11-17-2011, 07:21 PM
I have big hands and that was one of my concerns. It's helpful to have a phone that has a keyboard in landscape mode--the touch keys are bigger that way.

Does Prancer have "man-hands"? :lol:

Prancer
11-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Does Prancer have "man-hands"? :lol:

I do.

Lara
11-17-2011, 09:22 PM
The Galaxy Nexus just got an excellent review - I'd say it's safe to fully recommend now!
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review

aliceanne, with iCloud restoring contacts, etc should be a lot easier. You used to have to pay for that with MobileMe but it's free now. I have to say the battery on my 3GS lasted pretty well throughout two years of use before I switched to an iPhone 4 on Verizon, so that was never an issue for me at least.

Also it does have removable cards (using a paper clip as tool) except now they're micro-SIM, so not all GSM providers may have them on hand if you're traveling. Supposedly you can cut regular SIMs down to size though. Of course in the States most people buy locked phones, and I'm annoyed AT&T wouldn't unlock my 3GS even when I completed my contract.

loopey
11-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I do.

:rofl: :rofl:

Why don't I believe this?!? Never met you before, but for some reason I always pictured you as a really tiny blond lady.

AxelAnnie
11-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I need a 12 step program. I just put in an order for the Nexus. I am addicted to the next new thing. I can't stand to be behind...........and there is no way to keep up!

aliceanne
11-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Oh....I guess the iPhone versions in Russia are a little bit different, I have never heard about the fact that SIM card cannot be removed from this phone.

Anyway, neither upgrading nor buying the new iPhone in this case is not the option here - 1300 dollars is quite a high price.

Yes, not being able to remove the SIM card is a U.S. thing. Apple controls which service providers you can use. But no, we don't have to pay $1300! If you are willing to settle for the previous version you can get a new one for $99.

I stick with mine because AT&T grandfathered me on the unlimited data plan and I get a discount on my monthly bill for being a gov't employee.

Lara
11-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Yes, not being able to remove the SIM card is a U.S. thing. Apple controls which service providers you can use. But no, we don't have to pay $1300! If you are willing to settle for the previous version you can get a new one for $99.

I stick with mine because AT&T grandfathered me on the unlimited data plan and I get a discount on my monthly bill for being a gov't employee.

Oh, you're talking about the phone being locked to a provider. I thought you meant that it was physically impossible to remove the SIM! :lol:

The reason I moved to Verizon before the 4S came out was because they were about to drop unlimited data. It's definitely nice not to worry about, and I'll hopefully be grandfathered to LTE in my next upgrade.

rjblue
11-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Samsung has a program on the Galaxy phone called Swype. Instead of typing on the individual key spots, I just swirl my finger without lifting it and it will fill in the most likely word, so you only lift your finger between words. My fingers are a bit shaky and arthritic and I love it. It's much easier than dainty pecking even on a slideout keyboard, but it took a few days to get good at it.

I think a lot of Android phones have it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTooBnKAdSw&feature=related

galaxygirl
11-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Samsung has a program on the Galaxy phone called Swype. Instead of typing on the individual key spots, I just swirl my finger without lifting it and it will fill in the most likely word, so you only lift your finger between words. My fingers are a bit shaky and arthritic and I love it. It's much easier than dainty pecking even on a slideout keyboard, but it took a few days to get good at it.

I think a lot of Android phones have it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTooBnKAdSw&feature=related

It's an android app so any android phone with the required version of android can download it. I tried it but I prefer the compact QWERTY keyboard (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X91Ik_MrYUM/TWuozb7_UXI/AAAAAAAAGMM/KnPSpCCDxmA/compactQWERTY.jpg) that comes standard on the HTC phones (tho you can download apps with one).

AxelAnnie
11-18-2011, 02:31 AM
I used swipe for a while. I had to give up though because between my spelling....which is amazingly horrid...and the apps saving my bad words, and then inserting what the apps choice was...my messages just became more and more incomprehensible.

MacMadame
11-18-2011, 02:36 AM
The one thing to consider with the IPhone is that it doesn't have a removable SIM card or battery. When the battery dies you have to get a new phone (about $70 if you are not upgrading).
The battery shouldn't be dying. My kid has my old iPhone 3s and it's been around as long as that phone has been available with no issues. None of our various iPhone ever had battery issues. Did you ask about them replacing it under warranty? If the warranty expired, that really sucks, because that's definitely a faulty battery issue!

And you can put in a different SIM card. I did that when I went to Canada so I could get an international texting plans. Plus the iPhone 4s is not locked into a single carrier like earlier iPhones are.

But no, we don't have to pay $1300!
Yikes, no one in the US ever has to pay that amount. That's steep!

:D Funny. Is this Siri or some clone of Siri available on Android? I guess this is the program exclusive to iPhones?
It's part of the OS so not a stand-alone program. You could probably make a stand-alone app but I think this sort of functionality makes more sense to be part of the OS because of the fact that it will figure out which app to run and what commands to give it.

Voice-activation isn't new and people have been trying to do natural language parsers for ages but until recently most of their efforts left something to be desired. I guess we'll see how soon other companies can come up with their own versions that work as well. I am actually shocked at how well Siri works considering how poorly the stuff I've seen until now has worked.

FarFarAway
11-18-2011, 04:24 AM
But I downloaded an app called Vlingo that I like better. I tap the app, tap SPEAK and say "Text Son I will pick you up at 6:30."

And it sends my son a text saying "I will pick you up at 6:30."

:D

That seems to be quite a nice application :) And rather useful

iPhones in Russia are the most expensive phones ever. When the very first iPhone appeared it cost something about $1900. So now it became slightly cheaper :) And many of the mobile operators offered iPhones for just $60-100 with the contract for several years, but this offer was good only for the businessmen who would never change mobile operator, not for the students or young people who change it rather easily for the reasons of cutting down on expenses. iPhone became popular here, but the mobile operators weren't able to comply with the conditions of the agreement they signed with Apple regarding the number of the devices they were to sell.

Main problem was that there is almost no such practice in Russia - to sell devices together with the contracts for some years, which will make devices considerably cheaper. We usually go to the shop, buy the phone, insert the SIM card we have been using previously and go away. Very often the shops also offer the SIM card together with the phone, which makes the phone just a little bit cheaper, but usually there is a trap - the tariff on the SIM Card is 0-0-0-but for this (SMS or phone call to another region) you will pay us so much that it will easily compensate us for all the zeros:D