PDA

View Full Version : Android vs. iPhone

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

*Jen*
11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
speaking of droids, did anyone else get upgraded to 2.3.4 tonight? It made my Incredible a lot faster but lost some of my apps like Smurf Village, original Angry Birds, and Paradise Island. Everything else seems to be fine.

I have an HTC Desire S, and I upgraded to 2.3.5
about 3 weeks ago. I never got 2.3.4...we skipped it and went straight for 5.

Anyway, I LOVE it. The phone had glitches with the original software but runs like a dream now. Before the upgrade I was cursing the fact I didn't have an iphone. Now, I wouldn't switch.

FarFarAway
11-16-2011, 07:54 PM
One advantage of getting a Google phone is that whenever there is an Android update, Google phone owners get them first. The downside of that is the you are also the first to come across the bugs. The ringtone and widget problems, for example, hit right after an update, then disappeared after a little tweak.

That sounds great :) I mean the fact that OS updates itself. I have never been able to update the Windows Mobile OS on my HTC. And I really don't like Windows Mobile, it's pretty much the same as Windows Vista or Windows 7 - the same glitches in almost the same places.

Android bugs, I guess, won't bother me much, I am not so often using the phone for anything more than simple phone calls or text messages, so, I guess, I have a chance to avoid them :)

So far I have got 3 recommendations on Samsung Android phones :)
But I really need the choice, if someone has to say anything more detailed on Sony Ericcson or HTC with Android - please do :) Thanks! :)

*Jen*
11-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Android bugs, I guess, won't bother me much, I am not so often using the phone for anything more than simple phone calls or text messages, so, I guess, I have a chance to avoid them :)

I'm all for Android phones, but I think you should know...that one of the bugs affecting my phone originally affected text messages. They were seriously, seriously delayed. I would receive them anywhere between 30 minutes and 3 hours late - and sometimes up to 4 days.

It WAS fixed with a software update, but beware that with any smart phone, you could have problems with the most basic functions. They're not as smart as they should be :)

myhoneyhoney
11-17-2011, 12:12 AM
I just received another upgrade to my Incredible last night, it's software number 4.08.605.2 I don't see anything different other than me having to redo my alarms/wallpaper/some apps again. It seems a tiny bit slower. Also, for some reason the widget that shows the time/date/weather/location is not working like it was. Before I used to be able to touch the weather area and it would show me the next few days' weather. Now, nada. Sigh

oleada
11-17-2011, 12:36 AM
FarFarAway, I would recommend against a Blackberry. The phone I lost was a Blackberry Curve. It's good for business, and I love the Blackberry Messenger. However, the browser is very slow - even the simplest websites take a very long time to load. There are not very many apps. The phone, overall, was buggy and froze a lot. The battery life is terrible, too.

I'd buy the Android.

Prancer
11-17-2011, 12:59 AM
I just received another upgrade to my Incredible last night, it's software number 4.08.605.2 I don't see anything different other than me having to redo my alarms/wallpaper/some apps again. It seems a tiny bit slower. Also, for some reason the widget that shows the time/date/weather/location is not working like it was. Before I used to be able to touch the weather area and it would show me the next few days' weather. Now, nada. Sigh

Did you reboot it?

myhoneyhoney
11-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Did you reboot it?

No, I didn't. I figured I didn't have too since it restarted itself but maybe I should do it manually anyways. I'll try it, take out the battery for a couple of minutes and everything. Thanks, Prancer!

Really
11-17-2011, 04:26 AM
FarFarAway, I would recommend against a Blackberry. The phone I lost was a Blackberry Curve. It's good for business, and I love the Blackberry Messenger. However, the browser is very slow - even the simplest websites take a very long time to load. There are not very many apps. The phone, overall, was buggy and froze a lot. The battery life is terrible, too.

I'd buy the Android.My husband's iPhone battery life (and service reception) is a helluva lot worse than my BB Torch! I haven't had any difficulties with the browser, and I'm able to get most of the apps I want. OS 7 is supposed to be quite an improvement over 6.

But if you don't want a Blackberry, then I'd be going for an Android phone. I was doing a bit of research and it sounds like the newest Samsung is getting rave reviews.

FarFarAway
11-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Yes. The Ice Cream Sandwich. What a great name! :)
:D Android OS's always sounded quite yummy :)

FarFarAway
11-17-2011, 05:08 AM
It seems like I'm almost convinced about Samsung :)

My friends will be much surprised if I buy one :)

Ah, it seems I forgot the main part of the story. Which phone is more convenient for typing with big fingers? I'm a man, you know:D and I don't have long nails :) and I can't call any of my fingers tiny and small :)

My HTC Touch Diamond has got stylus, so I don't have any problems. Do I have to expect problems if I buy something on Android? I guess I really need the big screen phone so that the keys aren't too small for me.:shuffle:

IceAlisa
11-17-2011, 05:22 AM
My husband tried typing on the other Samsungs and said they were fine. But then he doesn't have problems typing on the iPhone either whereas I do. I am getting better at it.

Had the most hysterical conversation with Siri. She would fit right in on FSU--premium snarkage, e.g.,

Me: Are you male or female?
Siri: Is this relevant?

Me: Do you like Steve Jobs?
Siri: We were talking about YOU.

They've programmed her well. :D

AxelAnnie
11-17-2011, 05:46 AM
FarFarAway: is Samsung Galaxy Nexus available where you are? http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hands-on/

My husband has his eye on it. I think it's going to be available very soon in the US.
Me too. I cant wait. I will sell my Samsung Charge on eBay.....and come out ahead...always fun.

AxelAnnie
11-17-2011, 05:50 AM
It seems like I'm almost convinced about Samsung :)

My friends will be much surprised if I buy one :)

Ah, it seems I forgot the main part of the story. Which phone is more convenient for typing with big fingers? I'm a man, you know:D and I don't have long nails :) and I can't call any of my fingers tiny and small :)

My HTC Touch Diamond has got stylus, so I don't have any problems. Do I have to expect problems if I buy something on Android? I guess I really need the big screen phone so that the keys aren't too small for me.:shuffle:

I have long nails which are impossible for typing on a virtual keyboard. Just bought the Samsung Stratosphere....slide out keyboard.....new best friend. Also discovered the stylus for my Charge (work phone). I am one happy camper....and so are all the people I try to text.

FarFarAway
11-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Had the most hysterical conversation with Siri. She would fit right in on FSU--premium snarkage, e.g.,

:D Funny. Is this Siri or some clone of Siri available on Android? I guess this is the program exclusive to iPhones?

I have long nails which are impossible for typing on a virtual keyboard. Just bought the Samsung Stratosphere....slide out keyboard.....new best friend. Also discovered the stylus for my Charge (work phone). I am one happy camper....and so are all the people I try to text.

I've spent days trying to learn to type without stylus on my HTC. All in vain. Wrong keys pressed, text messages out in the wrong direction:D I just gave it up at some stage, since I realized that I will never be able to adjust my fingers to these small keys on a sensor display.

I was also trying to do this on iPhone which one of my friends gave me to test, the results were better, but not significantly. I was always trying to press several keys at once and I got so irritated in the end, that I felt myself a real fossil in this world:kickass:

IceAlisa
11-17-2011, 04:47 PM
:D Funny. Is this Siri or some clone of Siri available on Android? I guess this is the program exclusive to iPhones?

I think it is just the iPhone for now but I bet the Android people (and others) are working furiously to come up with something comparable.