PDA

View Full Version : Android vs. iPhone

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Alexa5
11-15-2011, 04:49 PM
My contract is almost up and I'm looking too. I have a Blackberry and I would like to stay with it, but I HATE HATE their internet browser (I use mini Opera instead but I regularly have trouble opening certain links). But I am so used to a keyboard. Whenever I am near an Apple Store, I try out their Iphones but it takes me forever to type out a sentence on a touchscreen.

I am thinking of an Android but I hate Chrome as a browser on pcs and laptops. My parents use Chrome (I am a firefox fan). I do not get the appeal of Chrome AT ALL. I mean, where are the tabs?!?!? And I still don't know how to add and find a bookmark. I haven't tried Chrome on their cells so maybe it'll be better.

My contract is up in April, so I'm hoping that in the next few months blackberry offers new products with a kickass browser.

I have Sprint and went with the Samsung Replenish as it was an android, but getting that phone allowed me to not have to pay the premium data of the other phones. I had a blackberry before too and liked the keyboard, so that is why I like the Replenish, looks like a Blackberry but works like an android.

I really like it.... as for the browser, I don't think the browser you see on your phone looks anything like what you see Chrome look like on a computer.... it is a browser adapted for mobile phones so to me it looks and acts like any other mobile browser. Frankly I didn't even know I was using a google browser on my phone, but that makes sense that it is. It is a much faster and better browser than my blackberry was.

My husband and I get so much more use out of our new phones than we did our Blackberry phones.

Tesla
11-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I got the upgrade a week or two ago but didn't lose any apps that I know of. Did you download them from the market? if so, you should be able to download them again.

I got the upgrade message and clicked on more info (just out of curiosity), then hit update and install. Said my phone was up to date, but I'm still seeing 2.2. :( Did I do something wrong? Will I not get the update now?

Badams
11-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I updated mine this morning and lost some apps too. And now my favorite one, the Wilford Brimley sound board, isn't free anymore. :(

galaxygirl
11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Have you gone to settings-->software updates-->check new? If that doesn't work, contact your carrier. Also, there are apps that will back up your other apps just in case something like this happens. I have used Astro but I'm sure there are others.

Tesla
11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
For those missing apps, are the missing apps on your SD card? If so, try unmounting and remounting your SD card. I got this from the comments in this link (https://market.android.com/details?id=org.mozilla.firefox).

Tesla
11-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Have you gone to settings-->software updates-->check new? If that doesn't work, contact your carrier. Also, there are apps that will back up your other apps just in case something like this happens. I have used Astro but I'm sure there are others.

I went to About Phone to System Updates and it says your system is currently up to date.

galaxygirl
11-15-2011, 06:50 PM
I went to About Phone to System Updates and it says your system is currently up to date.

Try settings --> about phone --> software information. If that doesn't say Android version 2.3.4, contact your carrier. They should be able to fix it.

Tesla
11-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Try settings --> about phone --> software information. If that doesn't say Android version 2.3.4, contact your carrier. They should be able to fix it.

That still says 2.2. Thanks!

FarFarAway
11-16-2011, 06:50 AM
Oops, it seems like I found the thread where I can ask for advice :)

At the moment I use HTC Touch Diamond phone, which runs on Windows Mobile (can't remember the version exactly, but believe it's 6) and I really want to change the phone, it's high time, otherwise my HTC has a good chance of switching itself off for good, leaving me out of this life for quite a long time :D

I've been to some shops already, but I'm really at a loss. My mobile operator offers me Blackberry (luckily, it's without a traditional keyboard, and it's got quite a nice big touchscreen), and in the shops assistants advise me to buy something on Android, or one of the new Nokias.

Could anyone please give me some advice on what is better?
1. Blackberry is quite nice looking, but I'm not quite sure if I am able to work with Facebook with it and I really need to run some messengers like ICQ or QIP (Russian ICQ clone)
2. Nokia - what OS are they using at the moment. I had Nokia some time ago, but I was not very much satisfied with it.
3. Android - if I buy Android phone, I would like to buy either Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, or Neo, or Arc. Any comments on their quality? Or one of the new HTCs, like Desire ore something like that.

In fact I would like to have a large screen with HD resolution and good batteries, which I will not need to recharge every two hours. The possibility to work easily with Facebook and Youtube is also very much appreciated :shuffle:

I would be very much obliged if anyone can help me with the advice or his/her own experience :)

Lara
11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Nokia is transitioning from Symbian (not exactly recommended anymore) to Windows Phone 7. Their first phone which I believe will be released in Russia very shortly is the Lumia 800, certainly worth looking at.
However, you might actually have the option of an N9 which is on Meego, the OS they were originally planning on moving to. It's not released in North America or the UK. From reports, it actually is a good OS...unfortunately it's basically a dead end now.

For Android, sure you won't consider Samsung? For HTC the Rezound is coming out which looks to be their top phone. I haven't heard anything too bad about the Sonys, but they don't seem to be as popular.

IceAlisa
11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
FarFarAway: is Samsung Galaxy Nexus available where you are? http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hands-on/

My husband has his eye on it. I think it's going to be available very soon in the US.

FarFarAway
11-16-2011, 05:56 PM
For Android, sure you won't consider Samsung? For HTC the Rezound is coming out which looks to be their top phone. I haven't heard anything too bad about the Sonys, but they don't seem to be as popular.

Oh, thanks a lot :) I may consider Samsung but I just don't know how reliable they are now. I remember one of my friends had a Samsung phone about 5 or 6 years ago and it was just a disaster. It lived its own life, it seemed. Completely unpredictable. How are the things now?

FarFarAway: is Samsung Galaxy Nexus available where you are? http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hands-on/

My husband has his eye on it. I think it's going to be available very soon in the US.

Yes, it will be available soon here too. At least it was officially announced here last month. I see it is running on a completely new version of Android OS, am I right?

Prancer
11-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Oh, thanks a lot :) I may consider Samsung but I just don't know how reliable they are now. I remember one of my friends had a Samsung phone about 5 or 6 years ago and it was just a disaster. It lived its own life, it seemed. Completely unpredictable. How are the things now?

I've had a few Samsungs and never had any trouble with them at all--until.

I have a Samsung Google Nexus S, and it has done some hinky things. IMO, that's not Samsung; it's Android glitches. The issues are small--my ringtones get reset or stop ringing and have to be deleted and set again, widgets vanish, stuff like that.

One advantage of getting a Google phone is that whenever there is an Android update, Google phone owners get them first. The downside of that is the you are also the first to come across the bugs. The ringtone and widget problems, for example, hit right after an update, then disappeared after a little tweak.

Aside from those little annoyances, though, I really like my Nexus phone. :)

IceAlisa
11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes, it will be available soon here too. At least it was officially announced here last month. I see it is running on a completely new version of Android OS, am I right?

Yes. The Ice Cream Sandwich. What a great name! :)

Aaron W
11-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I had a Samsung Omnia before switching to my Droid X from Motorola. Other than the camera which was fantastic, I hated the Omnia. But maybe that's because it was a Windows phone.

I've liked my Droid X. The camera isn't nearly as good as the Omnia's camera, but everything else has been immensely better. My contract is up in January and I'm debating whether I'll stick with an android phone or switch to the iPhone 4s.