PDA

View Full Version : Tacky Christmas Sweater Party - help!

Pages : [1] 2 3

BigB08822
11-14-2011, 02:53 AM
We are throwing our annual Christmas Party in a few weeks and this year we decided to do a Tacky Sweater theme. It has been done to death but since we have never done it we thought it would be fun enough. The problem is that I don't own a sweater at all and I don't have the money to go out and buy one. Besides getting lucky and finding a cheap one at a thrift store, does anyone have any good ideas? Mainly I am wondering if anyone has ever made one? Perhaps buying a very cheap sweater and then decorating it yourself. Has anyone ever been to a similarly themed party and seen any good ideas? Help me out! As the host I have to have one of the best.

milanessa
11-14-2011, 02:56 AM
We are throwing our annual Christmas Party in a few weeks and this year we decided to do a Tacky Sweater theme. It has been done to death but since we have never done it we thought it would be fun enough. The problem is that I don't own a sweater at all and I don't have the money to go out and buy one. Besides getting lucky and finding a cheap one at a thrift store, does anyone have any good ideas? Mainly I am wondering if anyone has ever made one? Perhaps buying a very cheap sweater and then decorating it yourself. Has anyone ever been to a similarly themed party and seen any good ideas? Help me out! As the host I have to have one of the best.

Buy a cheap red, green or white sweater (or even sweatshirt) and head to the Dollar store. You can usually find a lot of small felt ornaments there - then just sew them on. The more garish the better. Heck, add tinsel to be really tacky.

PrincessLeppard
11-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Goodwill has never let me down. :D

genegri
11-14-2011, 03:45 AM
I wore a Bill Crosby type sweater to my office's ugly Christmas sweater competition and lost.

The girl who won wore a plain red sweater with lots of BIG and bright glass ball ornaments pinned on all over with safe pins. There must have been 30 to 40 on her.

orbitz
11-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Get two large sheets of felt paper, cut out a front and a back and then use safety pins to hold the two pieces together to form your "sweater". Go crazy with the glue gun and bedazzle it :)

michiruwater
11-14-2011, 04:39 AM
I will be absolutely shocked if you can't find one in a thrift store somewhere. We have ugly sweater Tuesday on the last Tuesday of each semester, and there are always hoards and hoards of them to choose from. I found this fantastic one with bunnies and alligators on it one year. I've yet to understand the combination.

BigB08822
11-14-2011, 04:43 AM
The girl who won wore a plain red sweater with lots of BIG and bright glass ball ornaments pinned on all over with safe pins. There must have been 30 to 40 on her.

That's not such a bad idea! I just would hate to fall down, :lol:

Nomad
11-14-2011, 04:46 AM
That's not such a bad idea! I just would hate to fall down, :lol:

You could also add tinsel garland to the collar, cuffs, and hem.

RockTheTassel
11-14-2011, 05:20 AM
I've already seen some tacky Christmas sweaters at Walmart for about five bucks.

BigB08822
11-14-2011, 06:32 AM
I've already seen some tacky Christmas sweaters at Walmart for about five bucks.

Really? I assumed any new sweaters would be expensive just because sweaters tend to be expensive, even plain ones. I will have to look if they are that cheap!

Marge_Simpson
11-14-2011, 07:34 AM
We had one of these at work several years ago. The guy that won the prize bought a stuffed reindeer at the dollar store, severed it off at the neck, and sewed it to the front of a sweatshirt.
I bought a ton of jingle bells and sewed them onto a sweater, I was voted "most annoying" because my sweater was so noisy.
Everyone received a pair of reindeer antlers to wear. I kept mine and wear them to work whenever I get stuck working on Christmas.

zaphyre14
11-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Goodwill, The Salvation Army, and just about every church thrift store I've ever seen has tons of Really Tacky Sweaters and Sweatshirts for $5 or less. Check out the Plus Size sections - Really Tacky and Really Large seem to go hand-in-hand a lot.

GarrAarghHrumph
11-14-2011, 02:33 PM
I'd have to believe that someone you know owns a tacky Christmas sweater. Ask around.

Aceon6
11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
We have a contest here and I always decorate a plain sweatshirt with stuff we already have around the house. Last year, I used a bunch of red bows (the flat kind) and just basted them on to the sweater. This year, I'm going to wear red cords and a red sweatshirt. I'm making a green "ruff" for it. As I'm fairly tall and not too wide, I hope to look like one of those gift bags that you use for wine.

Rob
11-14-2011, 02:58 PM
When is your party and what size are you? Maybe we all could start mailing you our tacky Xmas sweaters. Unfortunately, I just gave away some particularly fetching beadazzled ones my mother gave me, but she immediately replaced them with a black sweatshirt with beads and poetry about a cat and felt white cat appliqued on it. It would be purrfect for you!