PDA

View Full Version : The Kiss and Cry Area

Pages : [1] 2

FSWer
11-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Say,I read in the book Frozen in Time that back in the 60's there was no Kiss and Cry Area. Does anyone happen to know why that is,and how the Kiss and Cry Area came to be and when?

Sylvia
11-13-2011, 01:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_and_cry

The term was coined by Jane Erkko, a Finnish figure skating official who was on the organizing committee for the 1983 World Figure Skating Championships which were held in Helsinki. Erkko came up with the name when visiting television technicians who were mapping the arena prior to the event wanted to know what the area was called.

FSWer
11-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Before that were did Skaters go?

Ziggy
11-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Interesting question!

Maybe they just sat somewhere on the side on dinghy plastic chairs? ;P

P.S. That wikipedia article needs an edit.
"The skaters and coaches often kiss to celebrate after a good performance, or cry after a poor one." Please!

P.P.S. The voidiest kiss&cry I've ever seen was at Ice Challenge this year. morethanbeds.at was sponsoring it so the skaters and coaches sat on a huge mattress. :D :D :D

victorskid
11-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Actually, they just stood behind the boards, just off the ice.

Lacey
11-13-2011, 03:01 AM
And the scores, which took forever to compile, used to be held up by the judges by hand over their heads, say 5.8, with the 5 in one hand and the 8 in another, and many times the judges were confused and held up the wrong numbers in the wrong hand.

berthesghost
11-13-2011, 03:13 AM
Actually, they just stood behind the boards, just off the ice.What's interesting to me, is how accessible they were to/from the audience. This is most obvious at 61 nats when Laurence Owen leaves the ice after her fs and her sister just hops out of her seat in the audience and bear hugs her. :lol:
modern day ideas of security aside, I would think it would be really distracting. You can see this in old clips of skaters like Fleming and hamil, who are anxiously awaiting their scores and being hugged and pulled and prodded by friends and family and officials and then dick button shoving a microphone in their face, all while trying to catch their breath and pray they win, and in Hamil's case, squint to see! :scream:

maggylyn
11-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Interesting question!

Maybe they just sat somewhere on the side on dinghy plastic chairs? ;P

Kind of like Skate Canada!

Oh wait, that was just a couple weeks ago, not the era before the KissnCry existed.

Ziggy
11-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Kind of like Skate Canada!

Oh wait, that was just a couple weeks ago, not the era before the KissnCry existed.

+3 GOE snark. :D

floskate
11-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Before that were did Skaters go?

Usually just by the skaters exit where they stood around looking awkward. Sitting areas were introduced in the early 70's although they weren't used at every competition. Earliest I know of is 1972 Europeans which had what we now know as the kiss & cry. Also 1973 Worlds had one.

Great snark on the Skate Canada K&C maggylyn :lol:

crystalice
11-13-2011, 12:19 PM
The worst one this season was in Skate Canada. Cheap. Just too cheap.:scream:

berthesghost
11-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Usually just by the skaters exit where they stood around looking awkward. Sitting areas were introduced in the early 70's although they weren't used at every competition. Earliest I know of is 1972 Europeans which had what we now know as the kiss & cry. Also 1973 Worlds I'm trying to recall the olys. I know Sarajevo had one, where they served cups of oj on a tray :D, and iirc Innsbruck didn't, but I can't for the life of me recall if lake placid had one or not.

Great snark on the Skate Canada K&C maggylyn :lol::lol: ditto
Lalique/teb always. Has the best IMO, but this past sc was just shameful

Sasha'sSpins
11-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Judging from the late John Curry's Olympic FS it appears that there was no Kiss and Cry area at Innsbruck-but it's hard to tell for sure! All these people surround him so if there was a sitting area he never got the chance to get there! :lol:

John Curry 1976 Olympics - FS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djadlQLK_ow

Dorothy Hamil's 1976 Worlds SP-talk about not letting a skater catch there breath! Again a crowd of people (rather inconsideratly imo) surround the skater-And this just for the SP!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r42MTdTTCc

At Lake Placid they seemed to just stand by the boards against a floral backdrop:

Denise Biellmann - 1980 Olympic FS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_QiK85KRg&feature=related

Robin Cousin - 1980 FS (again just standing by the floral backdrop-at least some one handed this hardworking young man a drink after!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGrP-8J9c0U&feature=related

TwizzlerS
11-13-2011, 03:06 PM
I seem to recall that the skaters stood by the boards after their programs in Lake Placid.

floskate
11-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Innsbruck actually did have seats which were tucked away in the corner behind the crowds of people and skaters in all those videos. I guess they just chose not to use them. I have seen clips of other skaters who did sit down. Maybe they didn't have quite as large an entourage as others :lol: Lake Placid had none, just the blue wall with flowers on and Sapporo in 1972 they were just stood by some hockey glass waiting for scores so Innsbruck was the first Olympics I know of.