PDA

View Full Version : A Great time to be a fan of men's figure skating!

Pages : 1 [2]

Mayra
11-14-2011, 10:42 AM
In this category (men), we are lucky to have so many great skaters : elements are big and controlled, edges and speed are good, and they have something to say on the ice (choreographies are interesting) !

ITA Especially with the last.

The men(Takahashi, Fernandez, Chan, Abbott etc) belie the fact that COP has taken away the emotion and performance aspect away from figure skating. They have found a way to make COP work for them as opposed to them working for the COP.

It can be done, and IMO the other disciplines need to take a page from the men and move the sport forward. I still feel as if the other disciplines are using the same formula and checking off the elements as they go. I can almost see them counting the points as each element is performed.

The performances of Chan and Fernandez at SC, Takahashi at NHK :eek: and Abbott at COC are on repeat for me right now. :swoon:

kwanette
11-14-2011, 01:00 PM
ITA Especially with the last.

The men(Takahashi, Fernandez, Chan, Abbott etc) belie the fact that COP has taken away the emotion and performance aspect away from figure skating. They have found a way to make COP work for them as opposed to them working for the COP.

It can be done, and IMO the other disciplines need to take a page from the men and move the sport forward. I still feel as if the other disciplines are using the same formula and checking off the elements as they go. I can almost see them counting the points as each element is performed.

The performances of Chan and Fernandez at SC, Takahashi at NHK :eek: and Abbott at COC are on repeat for me right now. :swoon:

Entire post.

itsartemis
11-14-2011, 03:46 PM

I totally agree. The Men is the only discipline that will make me get up at 5AM in hope of finding a feed. Looking forward to the GPF and Worlds a lot!

aftershocks
11-14-2011, 06:48 PM
The men are without question the most exciting discipline now, with Ice Dance also a close second.

Reflecting on the other disciplines:

I think Savchenko/Szolkowy and their coach Ingo Steuer have made pairs skating interesting over the past five years -- they have pushed the sport forward with their innovative style, and are still challenging themselves by always trying to do something different, despite IJS making it more complicated. The Chinese pairs with their amazing tricks (and the palpable magic and connection of Shen/Zhao) also made pairs interesting -- the young Chinese up-and-comers are continuing that tradition, but where is the edge and the oomph that so far only S/S/S seem to dare/ risk in pairs?

The balletic, romantic, lyrical style pioneered by the Protopopovs, and epitomized by Gordeeva/ Grinkov (and to a lesser degree by B/S) is sublime and revolutionized pairs skating, but now I think its becoming a bit stale and boring (witness the jaded look on the face of the tiny Russian Lubov Iliushechkina at NHK, compared with the more innocent fresh-faced excitement of the young Ekaterina Gordeeva at the 1988 Olympics). V/T look good together and will be trying to continue the Russian tradition (as I think K/S have faltered, but yet are still trying to find a way that works for them, with some success and support from the judges). I find it ironic that it was the 2002 scandal in pairs skating that led to the institution of IJS, and that pairs seems to have been hurt the most by the rules changes.

The ladies are sometimes pleasant to watch, but generally are not very exciting these days... I'll post my additional thoughts on the ladies in the 2012 Ladies Worlds Prediction thread.