PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Blades Season 3: The Finale!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Japanfan
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Kimkom.. I agree.. was a bit of a quiet finish to everything.. i'm thinking they knew or had a sense.. I must admit when I went to watch most of the little kids wanting autographs at the end were for Tessa - even more than the actual figure skaters which was very cute.. so maybe they realized that it was a done deal..

The problem was that there was no time - the championed were announced five minutes before the end of the show. I would have preferred a shorter summary of the charities and could have lived without the opening number with all the contestants. Then their might have been time to celebrate the victory.

I too applauded Tessa's digs at JR. He and Don Cherry were completely inappropriate in their constant comments on how beautiful or sexy the ladies were. . .got for Tessa to call him on it. I doubt one of the female figure skaters would have dared - that is, if they even noticed.

Lara
11-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I too applauded Tessa's digs at JR. He and Don Cherry were completely inappropriate in their constant comments on how beautiful or sexy the ladies were. . .got for Tessa to call him on it. I doubt one of the female figure skaters would have dared - that is, if they even noticed.

Even though I was hoping ice dance would finally get the win, it was worth having Tessa make that speech. Good for her.

OrioleBeagle
11-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Tanith and Boyd should perform at a Detroit Skating Club show!

TracyF
11-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I applaud Tessa's digs too; they were well-deserved. But the latter part of your comment seems a bit unfair to the female figure skaters. Do you really think that just because they're in a sport that puts a premium on beauty, they are completely unaware of inappropriate comments and male advances? I rather doubt it. I'm quite sure that many of them are just as bothered by inappropriate comments as Tessa Bonnehomme would be.

Bournekraatzfan
11-16-2011, 01:41 AM
i cried when they showed the piece on the charities..i'm such a sucker

me too!

Bournekraatzfan
11-16-2011, 01:43 AM
I dont think this season was so much about winning but about the charities and Wade, which was a nice touch :)

I'm gonna miss it so for a year :(

ITA

Congrats to all the teams! They all have so much to be proud of:)
I wish we could have an hour finale show where each team performs their favourite routine of the season. They have trained so hard and seemed to really enjoy performing (especially Brad May--just LOVED him and Anabelle:)

Bournekraatzfan
11-16-2011, 01:44 AM
I too applauded Tessa's digs at JR. He and Don Cherry were completely inappropriate in their constant comments on how beautiful or sexy the ladies were. . .got for Tessa to call him on it.

I was so happy when she did this!

WildRose
11-16-2011, 08:15 PM
ESPN article about Tessa:
http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/7237837/tessa-bonhomme-wins-battle-blades

Japanfan
11-17-2011, 11:09 AM
I applaud Tessa's digs too; they were well-deserved. But the latter part of your comment seems a bit unfair to the female figure skaters. Do you really think that just because they're in a sport that puts a premium on beauty, they are completely unaware of inappropriate comments and male advances? I rather doubt it. I'm quite sure that many of them are just as bothered by inappropriate comments as Tessa Bonnehomme would be.

Oh, I think they are fully aware of the inappropriate comments and have been subject to them many times before BOTB. And I am sure they are bothered by them as well, but would also guess they are more used to them than Tessa.

And, I think they would be far less likely to speak out as Tessa did. Like it or not, female figures skaters are expected to meet a standard of femininity. Beauty and sex appeal are considered assets.

If a girl/woman figure skater questioned the status of quo of femininity, she wouldn't last long in the sport. If she didn't want to wear the skimpy costumes that ladies commonly wear in FS, she wouldn't last long. Alissa has challenged the status quo to a certain extent in wearing longer dresses - and I love her dresses - but for the most part, ladies have to tow the line and wear what would have been a daring swimsuit in the 1920s.

Once the status quo is accepted, it becomes part of a female skater's allure and helps her to earn a living. As a result, it's less likely they will speak out against sexism in the sport.

To the contrary, Tessa has nothing to lose. She's in a sport where women are seen as butch and that gives her a certain freedom that female figure skaters don't have.

Skate Talker
11-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks skaters, coaches, choreographers, and management and thank you CBC for another great year.

professordeb
11-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks skaters, coaches, choreographers, and management and thank you CBC for another great year.

Heartily agree with this. So totally grateful to live where I can see such a show.

sarakimm
11-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Oh, I think they are fully aware of the inappropriate comments and have been subject to them many times before BOTB. And I am sure they are bothered by them as well, but would also guess they are more used to them than Tessa.

And, I think they would be far less likely to speak out as Tessa did. Like it or not, female figures skaters are expected to meet a standard of femininity. Beauty and sex appeal are considered assets.

So true. It is so pervasive that the female is supposed to be pretty. Although I don't like Rachael Flatt's skating, I have been appalled at some of the comments regarding her appearance which have appeared in this and other blogs. You never hear anyone comment on a male skater's lack of attractiveness or sex appeal. I think the ladies have been groomed to look pretty on the ice from age 5 on up. They just accept it as part of the sport.

The Accordion
11-19-2011, 07:23 PM
You never hear anyone comment on a male skater's lack of attractiveness or sex appeal.

Although I do think it is probably worse for female figure skaters - it is not entirely true that male figure skaters don't get comments.

Just read any thread where Kevin Reynolds - for one- is part of the competition and you will see many comments about the unappealingness of his appearance.

And on the other end of the spectrum there are many many comments made about men who people DO find attractive - their sex appeal- their butts/ their abs, their yumminess - people who volunteer to be their partners / babysitters etc. There are definitely many examples of male skaters being objectified on a regular basis.

marysy
11-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Surprised no one mentioned this, but I was really touched by the group number ending in a spotlight with Kim and Russ in the middle as a tribute to Wade, then with all the couples encircling the spotlight. It was simply beautiful.

Can they please ask Elena Berezhnaya back for next season? I don't want this to be the last time she skates. :(

Japanfan
11-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Although I do think it is probably worse for female figure skaters - it is not entirely true that male figure skaters don't get comments.
Just read any thread where Kevin Reynolds - for one- is part of the competition and you will see many comments about the unappealingness of his appearance.

Comments about Kevin focus on his hair. I don't recall anyone saying he was unattractive.

And on the other end of the spectrum there are many many comments made about men who people DO find attractive - their sex appeal- their butts/ their abs, their yumminess - people who volunteer to be their partners / babysitters etc. There are definitely many examples of male skaters being objectified on a regular basis.

I think it's just healthy admiration. ;) After-all, most figure skating fans are women.

And keep in mind that men don't have to wear costumes which resemble bathing suits and focus the eye on their pelvis.

Also, we sure can't help but notice a gorgeous butt, but a goodly number of comments about how male skaters look refers to how handsome they are.