PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Blades Season 3: The Finale!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

4rkidz
11-14-2011, 02:22 AM
I think I have switched teams now to Marie France & Bryan.. but then again watching it live i really like Tanith & Boyd but watching on TV I really like Tessa and David.. so I guess I will be happy with who ever wins.. they all did a great job :D

skatingfanfun
11-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Just came back from the show. They were all great! David and Tessa stumbled at the end of the first number, but other than that they skated beautifully. Marie_France and Bryan were my pick and I'll vote for David and Tessa too. Tanith and Boyd skated very well too, he has the best of skills. Tough picks. I wouldn't be upset about any of them win.

flowerpower
11-14-2011, 02:55 AM
I guess I will be happy with who ever wins.. they all did a great job :D

Yes, I agree. Their strengths are different, but each of the finalist teams has done a really good job.

I'm pleased to see two ice dancers in the final 3 (same was true in Year 1). When the series first began, I thought the pairs skaters might have an advantage since they could rely on some flashier tricks, but that doesn't seem to have benefited them all that much.

AragornElessar
11-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Well, if it's really up to the voters, then I think Tessa and David will win.

Don't be so sure on that. While I didn't vote for Tanith and Boyd, as they never clicked w/us over the Season, I just finished calling in our 20 votes for both teams (another thing we decided on early on this year. Doesn't mean I can't vote more than that, but 20 is our "Family Vote"). Tessa and David's line while busy, wasn't so busy that I wasn't able to get those 20 votes called in, in little under fifteen minutes. That was 10:28 pm EST, as I glanced at the clock just out of curiosity before I started calling in to Marie-France and Bryan's line.

I called in the final of those 20 votes about ten minutes ago. At one point, I hit Flash and then Redial ten times before I got through again. I'd gotten into such a rhythm of doing that, that when Kurt's recording of how to vote came on, I almost hit Flash to start it all over again. :D

Really enjoyed both of David and Tessa's numbers tonight. What surprised me though is how good David looks w/a mouthstache. I was wondering if any of the guys on BOTB would be taking part in the Mo-vember thing and if any had, we'd be seeing it this week. Sure enough...There was the face fur on Dave. :D

Seriously though, I am so beyond impressed w/how Tessa's done this Season. Yes, the male hockey players have tough stuff to learn, but when you compare it? Tessa had to learn not only how to do a lift, but look pretty in the air while up there, a death spiral, a throw...I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of things. Yes, there's a steep learning curve for all of them, but Tessa's was far steeper than the guys was and it's beyond impressive she not only pulled it off, but w/grace and style too.

Same goes w/Bryan. Trying to learn how to partner someone *and* also figure skate when you've only got the sight of one eye? I know how frustrating it is when someone who knows about my visual issues, and for example, simply points to something and says, "Oh, it's over there." when you can't even see their hand pointing for starters and have to ask them to tell you just where "there" is. Now factor in that when you're trying to learn first the basics of figure skating and then how to partner who you've been matched w/. Then having to learn a brand new number each week in such a compressed time line?

I am just so impressed by how far Bryan's come since the start and very proud of him too. :)

Their first number was my favourite of the night and had both my Mom and I blinking away the tears. I did not know Avril had recorded that song and...Wow!! Also thanks to the cameras staying on little Billie and her gorgeous Daddy for a good minute or so after Sk8er Boi, Mom finally got a chance to see the lil munchkin clearly for the first time this entire season. She agrees w/us, she's one adorable sweetie. :)

Tanith and Boyd...As usual, there was nothing wrong w/their performance on a tech stand point. They just did nothing for us to be able to be drawn into their numbers. Sad too, as they are good, but... :(

Funny I haven't seen anything mentioned about JR's disgusting "Fairy" comment to Bryan during the comments after Sk8er Boi. Grapes had just finished saying he thought MF looked like a fairy out there the way she flew and it was obvious he was referring to the tutu and how it could look like Fairy wings out there during certain moments. At least it was to Mom and I.

Then JR just *had* to pick that up and try to make a joke out of it when talking to Bryan. Even if that was edited out of the later showings of tonight's broadcast, those of us watching on CBC Halifax saw and heard it and you can certainly bet others who would have been far more insulted and angered by JR's disgusting comments did too.

It had been such a fantastic show up to that point and then JR just had to open his mouth. I wouldn't want to be the PR person for BOTB tonight or tomorrow, as this has the potential to be a major mess and at the worse time too.

At least...I hope I'm wrong about that, but I have a bad feeling I'm not. :(

It would be great for Tessa and Dave to win it tomorrow night and since we're from the area, obviously that's what we'd love to see tomorrow night. However, we've also fell in love w/Marie-France and Bryan the last few weeks, so would be thrilled for them too. If it's Tanith and Boyd, then okay then. :)

flowerpower
11-14-2011, 05:04 AM
^
I agree. Marie-France and Bryan's phone line has been extremely busy. It takes persistence (and many redials) to get votes registered.

Very disappointed in JR's comment as well. Hope it doesn't become an issue, though, since it deserves to sink like a stone.

tapper88
11-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Marie-France and Bryan get my vote, too!! They've continually grown on me throughout the season. I loved their first number and will watch it again for sure. Liked their second number, but felt obliged to show my mom (who watches with me) a better version of that (Tessa and Scott's gala).

Japanfan
11-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Funny I haven't seen anything mentioned about JR's disgusting "Fairy" comment to Bryan during the comments after Sk8er Boi. Grapes had just finished saying he thought MF looked like a fairy out there the way she flew and it was obvious he was referring to the tutu and how it could look like Fairy wings out there during certain moments. At least it was to Mom and I.

I took it to mean that he looked light and ethereal - which is a joke given how big Bryan is and all those tatoos. . .I did, however, notice how many times Don Cherry had to tell the girls they were gorgeous. Blech.

To me David and Tessa had the wow factor in both programs. I was actually so pumped after the first program that I picked up the phone to vote, but guess the voting time was over as got a message to phone back during business hours (I watched it several hours after it aired).

Marie France and Bryan had the best emotional expression and I'd be okay if they won, but disappointed if Tanith and Boyd do. I agree the Boyd is the best of the guys and they are very polished - but not exciting to watch in any way.
At least...I hope I'm wrong about that, but I have a bad feeling I'm not. :(

It would be great for Tessa and Dave to win it tomorrow night and since we're from the area, obviously that's what we'd love to see tomorrow night. However, we've also fell in love w/Marie-France and Bryan the last few weeks, so would be thrilled for them too. If it's Tanith and Boyd, then okay then. :)[/QUOTE]

professordeb
11-14-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm disappointed in some of the comments that have come from Sandra for most of the season. After two seasons of her seemingly coming out in favour of the "pair" that skated well AND did pair moves as opposed to a "pair" that were smooth but did fewer pair tricks, I find it disquieting that she is now favouring just the opposite this season. To me, at least, it shows she has a decided preference and since what she says seems to influence the "casual" skating observer, it's quite clear she wants a "dancer" rather than a "pair" skater to win. Too bad she decided it would be this season with a dancer who is about OK in my books compared to M-F. Tanith lucked out with a good skating partner - can you imagine if Boyd had been paired up with M-F? Methinks it would have had the WOW factor and then some.
How I would rank them
1) Tessa & David
2) Marie-France & Bryan
3) Tanith & Boyd

I'm with those who think Tessa & Bryan have shown more growth as a figure skater over the season compared to Boyd.

Debrah
11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
My votes went to Marie-France & Bryan, because they sold all the performances and entertained me every single week.

IMO they had the most choreo and music variety, and Bryan showed the most improvement over the course of the season. They had the most interesting back story, Marie had the most work to do esp in terms of turning her raw, physically handicapped, incredible hulk of a hockey player, into a charismatic ice dancer. To me, their choice of chariety also had the most relevance for this season of Blades that opened on their own note of tragedy the celebrity suicide, and since it is not one of the more well known, or glitzy charieties - any money being donated would make a huge difference to the work being done; plus I simply adore Marie-France.

But, truthfully all 3 teams in the final, deserved to be there this season, and all 3 teams would be very worthy winners, for different reasons, my rankings:

1. Marie-France & Bryan - for all the reasons above.

2. Tessa & David - she had the hardest job in terms of selling self as a figure skater, she being an Oly champion paired with an Oly champion and being 1st female hockey player on the show, had the most to prove and would thus likely be toughest on herself esp as the men can mostly rely on strength tricks like lifts and doing simple cross overs, while the gal partners due most of the work.

3. Tanith & Boyd - he really turned out to be the best figure skater technically out of the current crop of hockey players, but then he had the best skills to begin with, and while they had a slow start while Tanith was finding her way, they both finished strongly. Plus I like Tanith's charity choice of the hospital and have always rooted for ice dancer's in the show as they can't rely on the more showy pair elements to sell a performance; with ice dance it is more about connection and emotion and selling a story in the form of a dance.

Anyway it was a great ride, and hopefully Annabelle can make it into the final next time she is chosen to do the show..

mapleleafsk8fan
11-14-2011, 07:25 PM
MF and Bryan are my favourites, and I agreed with Sandra (for once...haha!) that at the beginning of the season he did not seem to be a likely contender. He has definitely improved, and MF has brought out the best in him. I really liked the fact that he did add footwork and syncronicity to his programs.

I do have a feeling that David and Tessa will win, but really any of the top 3 would be deserving, all for different reasons. I have to admit that at the beginning of this season, I thought it would be a bit boring after Todd Simpson was eliminated...but it has become a very good season.

Lara
11-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm rooting for Tanith and Boyd in large part due to her charity choice, and because I really do want an ice dance couple to win this time. I'm thrilled there's a real chance the MNI could get the win and that it was a result of a successful treatment (as opposed to all the negative news that's been reported over the years). And their programs have worked for me at least.

That said, MF and Bryan really won me over the last few weeks and I don't want to minimize what Tessa has done because it really is impressive.

We'll find out soon...

KatieC
11-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I didn't try to vote til around 11 o'clock, had had difficulty getting through for all three. So they each got one vote from me! Others can decide I guess.

victorskid
11-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Results: 3rd - Tanith & Boyd; 2nd - Marie-France & Bryan; champions - Tessa & David

KatieC
11-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Loved the acceptance speech! :lol:

amy8
11-15-2011, 12:34 AM
That was very well done. Focus on charities. Thought the digs at J.R. were hilarious