PDA

View Full Version : Stars on Ice 2011-2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

paskatefan
12-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Have a great time, skamper & quebecoise! Safe travels!

waddlercu
12-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Keep trying on the hotel reservations! I just booked the Golden Arrow for one night (they previously had a 4-night minimum), and I'll be cancelling my 2-night Northwoods Inn reservation in the next hour.

I'm excited for the show, but I hate the date change! A Friday night before a major holiday?! Who thought that was a good idea?!

Chele615
12-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm going as well with a couple friends of mine for the weekend. It should definitely be fun! We are staying where we stayed when we went to LP Skate America so it wasn't too bad price wise.

skamper23
12-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Keep trying on the hotel reservations! I just booked the Golden Arrow for one night (they previously had a 4-night minimum), and I'll be cancelling my 2-night Northwoods Inn reservation in the next hour.

I'm excited for the show, but I hate the date change! A Friday night before a major holiday?! Who thought that was a good idea?!

Here's an article talking about the schedule change: http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/528464/Stars-on-Ice-takes-to-Lake-Placid-rink.html?nav=5008

waddlercu
12-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the article. I guess it makes sense, in theory. Maybe they'll get a lot of NYC/NJ folks that are in town already and are willing to shell out $$$ for tickets, whether or not they're serious skating fans.

I guess I'm just flustered because they changed my 15+ year post-Thanksgiving weekend tradition on me. ;)

Frau Muller
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Just catching up to this. Wow, what a reduced schedule - 10 shows? This is really sad. I'll be surprised if there'll be a USA show next season.

No Tanith & Ben? No Michael Weiss??? Gee whiz...As much as I love Kurt, this is not worth a drive to the closest stop to DC - Hershey, PA. I'll pass on SOI this season.

RD
12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
^ Same here. I've gone the past 4 years but the streak is coming to an end. The skaters in this year's tour I've seen live already- even met a few of them- so IMO there's no need to travel out of the way/incur more expenses than necessary to see the show. (And especially since a big incentive was that pre-show reception)

Willowway
12-28-2011, 06:59 PM
And just to represent another point of view -

A whole bunch of us skating pals will be pleased to see Ilia, I/Z and others. Unfortunately they aren't coming to any of our towns or near them either so we're all meeting in Pittsburgh to have some fun together and enjoy SOI. I look forward to what Kurt and Jeff Buttle can do in terms of group choreography and direction - I'm hoping it will be interesting skating and something new.

Garden Kitty
12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
I'd love to see the show, but the schedule just doesn't work for me this year. I hope they're able to extend the tour next year, but I understand how difficult the economics of a live tour are.

Have a wonderful time, Willowway, and looking forward to your reports.

skatesindreams
12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
As am I. Willowway.
I wish I could join you.

I plannied on going; and treating a guest, if they had dates anywhere in the South.

Willowway
12-28-2011, 07:32 PM
We'll plan on posting a group review so that you get lots of opinions!

quebecoise
12-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Have a great time, skamper & quebecoise! Safe travels!

Thanks!!:)

Teenes
12-30-2011, 05:12 PM
To everyone who's going tonight - have a great time, I'm envious! Can't wait to hear about the show this year. I know Kurt had a lot of ideas and tweets from the skaters in rehearsals sound intriguing.

@SashaCohenNYC Getting the show ready for opening night tomorrow! I'm really excited about the show this year... So unusual!

@sineadskate Long rehearsal days on @starsonice but AMAZINGLY choreographed group numbers by @J_Butt @KurtBrowning and great fun cast makes it fly by:)

@RyanSBradley First @starsonice show tonight! Really challenging show and I'm really nervous. Can't wait :) #baboom

Oh btw, to Canadians, the 2011 tour is being rebroadcast on CBC tonight, 8-9PM EST.

victorskid
12-30-2011, 05:46 PM
I had planned to be at the show tonight with some friends. We've cancelled our trip, however, due to the Winter Weather Advisory from the National Weather Service for this evening, overnight and tomorrow morning. A long, nasty drive home or trying to find overnight accommodation at the last moment did not seem warranted. Fortunately we had held off on buying the tickets until the last moment so we're not out several hundred dollars.

Looking forward to hearing all about the show from those who get to see it!

Willowway
12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I am intrigued and excited by Sasha's comment "so unusual" - I had faith that Kurt and Jeff would give us something new, not same old/same old. Whether it succeeds or not with everyone, at least they may be reaching outside the typical skate show comfort zone - that gets my attention and respect right off the bat.