PDA

View Full Version : Stars on Ice 2011-2012

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Wyliefan
11-14-2011, 11:59 PM
No stops in my area. This is just sad. :(

marysy
11-15-2011, 12:18 AM
I think the cheap tickets can actually be quite affordable, around $25 a ticket with discounts. There were discounts with AAA, for example, which many people are members of.

I wish that the 10 stops they do have were a bit more spread out. There are two shows in Washington, two in PA, and two in CA. As someone who lives in the NE, it's kind of a shame that none of the shows are close to me. And I would've been willing to travel up to 4 hours.

Also hope that this year is a chance for them to regroup a bit. I've long been a fan of SOI and would hate to see the tour end. Hopefully a sponsor will step up.

nursebetty
11-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Bummer, no DC and no Orlando. I do love Hershey chocolate, so maybe I'll try to aim for that. Have a feeling I might not make it this year.

joemauerlover
11-15-2011, 01:27 AM
bummer no MN show, but it was so empty last year, so I kind of suspected it. Looks like I'm heading to the Windy city!!!

Teenes
11-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Yes, there is still a Japan tour in January, and I'm quite sure there's still going to be a Canadian tour. If the US tour was to go under, I've wondered how that would affect those two tours, since they're usually anchored off the US tour.

I think Stars on Ice is hanging on by its teeth, and personally, as a fan of the tour, I'm kind of glad IMG is trying to keep it going, rather than just writing it off and killing the last remaining skating tour in the US (I don't count Disney on Ice). But yes, the logo and the press materials are quite notable for their lack of a title sponsor. This show has been "Smucker's Stars on Ice" for ages, and before that "Discover Stars on Ice". That lone "Stars on Ice" without any sort of prefix looks kind of bare.

I know that Kurt Browning, the new choreographer and co-director of the tour, is keen to reboot the show creatively and has all sorts of ideas for the show. I'm not sure he'll be able to execute them, given the constraints on this year's show, but if this year's show is able to attract a new sponsor, I have hopes for future years...

reese
11-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Beyond depressing! This used to be a 65+ city tour!

Coco
11-15-2011, 03:06 AM
How wierd for them that they have their opener, then wait 6 weeks to tour.

Teenes
11-15-2011, 03:10 AM
How wierd for them that they have their opener, then wait 6 weeks to tour.

They usually do that - the opening show in Lake Placid over the holidays (though usually Thanksgiving) is a tradition, and it also gives them the opportunity to do the TV broadcast before the tour starts, which provides advertisement for the show. This year, the TV broadcast is going to be in syndication.

Also, the Japan tour is in January so it's not actually a 6 week wait.

mtnskater
11-15-2011, 03:11 AM
What has happened to the popularity of skating in the U.S.??? For awhile I've thought that lack of attendance at these shows was due to the declining pocketbook of the middle class. Healthcare, tuition, energy and plethora other assorted costs are through the roof while people's wages have stagnated for more than a decade. However, I can't believe the U.S. economic situation explains all the decline in attendance. There was a time when skating shows sold out (both Champions on Ice and Stars on ICe) and to get good seats you had to buy long in advance or at the very least be standing in line the moment they went on sale. Where did all these fans go? Is it nobody has the money anymore? Is it Salt Lake City pairs event and the public's realization that the judging is corrupt?? What is it?

snoopysnake
11-15-2011, 03:20 AM
nothing near snoopysnake :(
snoopysnake probably cannot get to Portland
snoopysnake sad

Athena
11-15-2011, 04:20 AM
So sad to see figure skating is dying in U.S. Although I like Kurt, Kate and Ilia, Evan is the biggest draw for me, without him, I'll skip this year's SOI.

RD
11-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Only 10 cities. And no DC this year. That's typically a well-attended show. Wow.

love skating
11-15-2011, 06:51 AM
This makes me so sad. :( I'm a huge SOI fan and have gone every year since 1995. At least my show will be one this year's the 10 cities, but so so sad.

operagirl
11-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Evan is no longer with IMG, he switched to CAA. It might also explain the money issues causing his withdrawal from Skate America. I wouldn't be surprised if CAA makes a big money demand before Nationals, and then pulls him from the competition.

Jaana
11-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Evan is no longer with IMG, he switched to CAA. It might also explain the money issues causing his withdrawal from Skate America. I wouldn't be surprised if CAA makes a big money demand before Nationals, and then pulls him from the competition.

Neither is Ilia Kulik with IMG... Anyway, I think they must have invited Evan as he as the US Olympic champion is a huge draw. If Evan is thinking of competing in Nationals, he surely could not say yes, because succeeding at the Nationals means he will be at the Worlds team.

Huh??? I have understood that in US Nationals no money has been payed for competitors and doubt very much that Evanīs agent is demanding it now.