PDA

View Full Version : Stars on Ice 2011-2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14

Teenes
01-12-2012, 06:07 AM
FYI, I asked Geoffrey Tyler (Kurt's friend and creative collaborator) about the opening number of Stars on Ice (since it's got his name on it), and got a detailed response about the thought and development that went into the opening number and the theme of this year's show. It's an interesting read, at least to me (I love learning about creative process):

http://www.kurtfiles.com/forfun/geofftyler_soi12.php

Also FYI, he says the skaters were all extremely on board with trying to work with them to choose programs that fit the theme, and were super open to making the show in line with their creative vision.

skamper23
01-13-2012, 11:51 PM
That's a wonderful article Teenes! It's great insight on the creative process! They did a wonderful job with the time they had.

iggie
01-15-2012, 04:18 AM
it suddenly occurred to me that i should go and see stars on ice. but the seat the ticket agent want to give me is the side view. is it even worth it? i feel like if you don't get the judges side, you get everyone's back and if you get the sides, no one is going to choreograph for those seats. feedback?

nubka
01-15-2012, 04:34 AM
They are coming to Salt Lake City, so my husband thought it would be fun for us to go - until he saw the price of the tickets. :eek:

We are not going... :( :(

Willowway
01-15-2012, 05:21 AM
if you don't get the judges side, you get everyone's back

I don't understand the comment. All of these programs are choreographed specifically for professional use - no eligible programs being skated at all. Why would "the judges side" enter into the equation at all. These are seasoned professionals (the skaters and the choreographers) and they know where the seats are and understand that a program isn't 'one sided' as eligible programs so often are. I would understand your comment if eligible skaters were being pulled in with their current programs but that's not the case here.

iggie
01-15-2012, 05:40 AM
so ... from your perspective, those seats should be fine since show numbers should be choreographed for every seat at every angle? i just don't want to get stuck with disappointing seats again.

Willowway
01-15-2012, 06:06 AM
I have had seats in many different spots for professional shows, some locations better than other depending on the show. I can't tell you that your favorite skaters will do your favorite moves right in front of you - they might be done opposite you across the arena. That happens. But what I am saying is that there is not 'judges side' for anything like it for these shows. I find that the long sides are fine and the end opposite the entryway is usually fine also. Also the folks sitting on the entryway end get to see people coming and going close up, I don't think that end is preferable and I'd avoid it. The middle of any of the three other sides and you have a good seat. If you want to see patterns, sit higher; if you want to see technique, sit lower. That's my advice.

Everyone has their own personal preference - mine is that I cut off the whole 1/3 of the seats at the end of arena near the entryway and avoid it all. If I sit too up in that end, I see too many backs going down ice. I tend to like the far end of one of the long sides and then I get to see most of everything - but that's just me.

You said they wanted to give you a "side view" - where's that in the arena - which arena? We can pull out the seating chart and get very specific about what you want to ask for. Plan what you want and see if it's available - don't just take what they tell you. Everyone here can help.

seabm7
01-15-2012, 08:19 AM
They are coming to Salt Lake City, so my husband thought it would be fun for us to go - until he saw the price of the tickets. :eek:

Sometimes they give out discount tickets at the last minute. That's what I found when I bought a ticket for a Chicago show after the olympics.

skamper23
01-15-2012, 12:37 PM
The Salt Lake City show will all feature Sarah Hughes and Sale & Pelletier!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53296104-78/lake-salt-anniversary-olympic.html.csp

victorskid
01-15-2012, 02:07 PM

Did you try for seats at the end of the arena opposite to the skaters' entrance? Those are often cheaper seats and, in my opinion, excellent seats.

iggie
01-15-2012, 04:56 PM
You said they wanted to give you a "side view" - where's that in the arena - which arena? We can pull out the seating chart and get very specific about what you want to ask for. Plan what you want and see if it's available - don't just take what they tell you. Everyone here can help.

These are the tickets i'm being offered

Air Canada Centre

Section
Row
Seats

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/seatingchart/131157/27756

are these good seats?

Sylvia
01-15-2012, 05:12 PM
A separate thread was started in GSD for the SOI tour in Canada, in case people aren't aware: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81973

Willowway
01-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Iggie - if you're opposite the skaters' entrance then not bad. If it were me, I would rather be much closer to the ice but then again, I don't know the ticket pricing and where the breaks are for that arena. But the section is fine. A lot of the group stuff may be coming down the ice straight at you.

That's just my opinion - anyone else?

Meredith
01-15-2012, 08:37 PM
I prefer the side view in some instances. One reason is that in competitions, skaters do face the judges more than other parts of the arena. But that's eligible skating. The second reason - more specific to your question - is that there tends to be more slant at the ends. Your line of sight is less likely to be blocked by the people in front of you than if you were sitting on one of the long sides.

The skaters in this show have a lot of experience in involving the entire audience in their programs. I've heard nothing but good reviews of this year's SOI, and am looking forward to seeing it in Pittsburgh.

iggie
01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
well, i let sit for the night and that seat was still the one being offered. so i bought the ticket