PDA

View Full Version : Takahiko kozuka says the silver medal changes my score.

Pages : 1 [2]

julieann
11-10-2011, 05:39 AM
In a newspaper article,Takahiko Kozuka says:
The big title of world championships medalist changes my score higher.
Because judges are criticized if they give low scores to a skater with high reputation.

I think some skaters like Zhang/Zhang would disagree with him.

museksk8r
11-10-2011, 07:17 AM
I think some skaters like Zhang/Zhang would disagree with him.

But Zhang/Zhang have not been World medalists since 2009 and with the return of Shen/Zhao in the 2010 season, they lost their pecking order and momentum as their performance level decreased due to flawed competitions. As a result of their struggles in competition, not only did Shen/Zhao return and take their positioning, but Pang/Tong also really improved their game from not medaling at the 2008 and 2009 Worlds to performing better than they ever have in the 2010 season, becoming Olympic silver medalists and World champions. Suddenly, Zhang/Zhang went from being the top Chinese finishers at Worlds in 2008 and 2009 to becoming Chinese pair #3 in 2010. Zhang/Zhang simply cannot compare to Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong when those two teams are at the top of their game. Being out with injury in 2011 as well as the emergence of the Chinese junior World medalists into the senior ranks has only made it tougher for the Zhangs to reclaim their past momentum.

ltnskater
11-10-2011, 01:51 PM
This is actually quite interesting and brings up a trend I have noticed this season. Skaters that are doing quads, are ending up on top, most notably in the short program, where "Lower" level skaters are placing ahead of "higher" level skaters that go clean but with only triples.

Two examples I can think of is Javier with a quad in the short at Skate Canada, I believe he placed ahead of Daisuke Takahashi, a former world champion who did a clean program with no quad in the short.

The second example is Yuzuru Hanyu, just recently at cup of china, ahead of Nobunari Oda I believe, again in the short, Yuzuru with a quad, Oda with just triples.

This almost never used to happen, even when "lower" level skaters did more technically demanding programs, if the "higher" level skaters went clean with lesser technical content, the "higher" level skaters still ended up on top, but it's really interesting to see this really start to change. (It seems that the difference in the PCS for the "higher" level skaters compared to "lower" level skaters are no longer enough to cover for the advantage of doing a quad, at least in the short).

julieann
11-10-2011, 04:08 PM
But Zhang/Zhang have not been World medalists since 2009 and with the return of Shen/Zhao in the 2010 season, they lost their pecking order and momentum as their performance level decreased due to flawed competitions.

Z/Z weren't the best skaters, it had nothing to do with S/Z, the judges gave them the score they deserved regardless of what they received in the past; world or olympic medal.

Judges are not going to keep bad skaters on the podium in fear of being ridiculed just because in the past they "happened" to win a world medal.

You can add Dube and Davison to that list as well, if you don't skate well, you will not medal.

jl22aries
11-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Kozuka should give himself more credit for having ACTUALLY improved during the off season,...truly earning the increase in his PCS. A possible lack of confidence, or as Kurt would put it, the "rock star"? I wonder?...if he feels his marks are better for reasons external to his actual performance and improved ability.

berthesghost
11-11-2011, 01:43 PM
This almost never used to happen, even when "lower" level skaters did more technically demanding programs, if the "higher" level skaters went clean with lesser technical content, the "higher" level skaters still ended up on top, but it's really interesting to see this really start to change. (It seems that the difference in the PCS for the "higher" level skaters compared to "lower" level skaters are no longer enough to cover for the advantage of doing a quad, at least in the short).
well the revolution hasn't chaged everything yet :lol:
Miette had the 2nd highest tes at nhk, but the 2nd lowest pcs so finished near the bottom of the pack.
Mao was 7th in tes, but 2nd in pcs keeping her in medal contention.
"higher" level skaters are still being recognized.