PDA

View Full Version : Mao needs victory to regain confidence

Pages : [1] 2

japanice
11-09-2011, 12:48 AM
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/sp20111109it.html

Marco
11-09-2011, 01:49 AM
I definitely get the point, but the pressure the title implies is immense. It almost feels like drawing her into a vicious cycle.

I actually think the better expression is "she needs to skate well to regain confidence".

roma
11-09-2011, 02:03 AM
... yet no mention that Mao went back to basics starting last season and is reworking all her jumps hence the poor results. Mao was willing to get through all the trouble to improve but they shouldn't expect Mao to improve so suddenly after undertaking such a major task.

kwanfan1818
11-09-2011, 02:20 AM
I definitely get the point, but the pressure the title implies is immense. It almost feels like drawing her into a vicious cycle.
This isn't even a competition situation, but when I read this article about David Hallberg, the first American to become a Principal Dancer with the Bolshoi Ballet, having just had dinner with a high school exchange student from Torino who scoffed at the mention of Carolina Kostner, I thought of Kostner, and I suspect this applies to Asada:

Q: What is it like to prepare for a debut?

A. Debuts are never my best performances, to be honest, because thereís a lot of external energy going on. A lot of people wishing you good luck. A lot of expectations. A lot of nerves. Not really nerves in a very useful way, I find ó itís a lot of wasted energy. My better performances are always really after debuts. The second, third, fourth show of something.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/04/an-american-dancer-makes-a-leap-to-the-russian-stage/?scp=1&sq=david%20hallberg&st=cse

Sedge
11-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Wise decision: Ando's announcement last week that she was going to sit out the entire season to recharge her batteries for Sochi was the right move.

After skating competitively nonstop for nearly 12 years, and coming off an absolutely incredible season, Ando consulted with coach Nikolai Morozov and arrived at the decision.

She will not skate in the Japan nationals in Osaka next month, and therefore won't be able to represent Japan at the world championships in Nice, France, next March.

I missed this announcement .
Not a surprise, but does now leave the World title wide open.

Ziggy
11-09-2011, 02:35 AM
Doesn't Japan Times realise that publishing articles like this only adds to the huge pressure that is very likely to perpetuate the vicious cycle, as Marco said?

Not a surprise, but does now leave the World title wide open.

As if Ando was likely to ever win the World title again. :P

Sedge
11-09-2011, 02:42 AM
As if Ando was likely to ever win the World title again. :P[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought last season;)

RumbleFish
11-09-2011, 03:20 AM
As if Ando was likely to ever win the World title again. :P

Chances would be similar to having another devastating natural disaster hit Japan just before Worlds, i.e. slim but not out of question.

Ziggy
11-09-2011, 03:26 AM
That's exactly what I thought last season;)

;)

Having everybody but Ando bomb is really not likely to happen again after it already happened once. ;)

BigB08822
11-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Yikes. She needs to win to have confidence but she needs the confidence to be able to win. Nasty cycle. She will need to find the confidence some other way in order to win.

bek
11-09-2011, 04:28 AM
;)

Having everybody but Ando bomb is really not likely to happen again after it already happened once. ;)

Uh, I actually think Ando winning again would be quite possible. Kostner, Alissa both having jump problems under pressure is quite likely. Mirai (if she even makes it to Worlds) having issues/underrotations likely.

There's a reason Ando's a 2 time world champ and the others have no world titles.

skfan
11-09-2011, 04:41 AM
i find the tone of mr gallagher's articles unnecessarily aggressive. it's like he's trying to get a rise out of the readers.

nice try, man. not everybody can be phil hersh :)

ETA
the make or break for mao's confidence was December 2010 JP nationals, IMO. of course there can be new setbacks, ice is slippery, and she was looking frail at moscow worlds (understable after the earthquake's upheaval), but in terms of the lowest low, the longest 'losing' streak... mao already turned the corner.

Amy03
11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Mao is a Genious and a real fighter, confidence will come naturally cause I don't see anyone stopping her, even without the 3A and a 3-3 she should still be able to beat everyone else. and her skating is steadily improving she has slowly began adding more difficulty last season by bringing back the 3S and 3Lu and te 2a-3A combination and her other jumps seem much more natural too, since the new technique seems to finally pay off.. and I love the fact that she is still improving other aspects of her skating. she really is a great role model !

but someone as narrow minded as gallagh wouldn't notice all he improvement she has made, and wouldn't be able to appreciate her hardwork and her beautiful working ethic,he probably hasn't realized that her hardwork and steadily improvement is banning her way for becoming even more successful in the future..

Ziggy
11-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Gallagher is like the new Hersh. How do cretins like that actually end up with jobs in the print media? :wall:

berthesghost
11-09-2011, 01:57 PM
;)

Except it happened twice