PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Abbott's programs this season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

aftershocks
11-29-2011, 12:29 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Jeremy's programs. They are fine just the way they are. He just needs to skate with more confidence- JMO.

I think Jeremy skated with a great deal of confidence in his short program at CoR, but even before he began his fp, he seemed more nervous, and the hard fall on the quad probably rattled him further. His programs are just too good not to be skated to the level of brilliance which is in them and in him.

Wishing Jeremy good luck at GPF and on to Nationals!

jlai
11-29-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Jeremy's programs. They are fine just the way they are. He just needs to skate with more confidence- JMO.

That's what people said about his last year' long too-until he missed the national's podium by such a slim margin people were saying how he missed out on COP points in spins and such.

Anyway, that is Jeremy's call. I'm sure he knows full well the risk of not maximizing his COP potential

Vash01
11-29-2011, 04:19 PM
That's what people said about his last year' long too-until he missed the national's podium by such a slim margin people were saying how he missed out on COP points in spins and such.

Anyway, that is Jeremy's call. I'm sure he knows full well the risk of not maximizing his COP potential

IIRC he missed a few jumps and other skaters landed theirs, that's how he missed the podium and the world team. Based on how other skaters have performed this season, I don't see history repeating itself.

jlai
11-29-2011, 09:28 PM
IIRC he missed a few jumps and other skaters landed theirs, that's how he missed the podium and the world team. Based on how other skaters have performed this season, I don't see history repeating itself.

That was what people thought last season :shuffle:

ETA: The margin of error is also smaller now that there're only two world spots

centerpt1
11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
That was what people thought last season :SHUFFLE:

^ This

It's too bad Abbott can't skate for a country that would appreciate him. (and you, know, send him to Worlds, as he's medaled at all his GP events for the last two seasons)

If only his programs were as innovative and complex as Ryan Bradley's he'd be sent for sure :lol:

aftershocks
11-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Did everyone see the below -- Jeremy skating to a selection from Giselle, choreo by Kathryn McSwain (part of Young Choreographers challenge). Where Jeremy is on one knee and he touches both hands to the ice is a lovely moment (reminds me somewhat of similar moment in his Muse fp this season).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQHqNOAe_Zc

Wow, Jeremy is such a lovely skater. Maybe he should work with McSwain on expanding this for possibly a competitive sp.

ETA: On second thought, this piece as constructed is probably more suited to an exhibition (since IJS demands such jam-packed programs/ jumps, spins, etc. for points-grabbing, there's little time to develop a storyline -- although perhaps it would work for a longer fp with many adjustments). I love so many of the movement elements.

briancoogaert
12-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Perhaps they could change his layout to:

4toe
3axel2toe
3flip3toe
3axel
3lutz2toe2loop
3loop
3lutz
3sal
Wheee !!! That's one thing I've always wondered about his jump layout. Why not attempting 3F/3T in the LP ? He works it for the SP, and it's a successfull combo for him.

Marco
12-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Perhaps they could change his layout to:

4toe
3axel2toe
3flip3toe
3axel
3lutz2toe2loop
3loop
3lutz
3sal
Wheee !!! That's one thing I've always wondered about his jump layout. Why not attempting 3F/3T in the LP ? He works it for the SP, and it's a successfull combo for him.

This is a great layout because, if he pops his second 3axel (which he sometimes does), he can still try to upgrade the 3lutz2toe2loop to a 3lutz3toe2loop.

centerpt1
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Just looked at some photos from CoR- when did he change to Jackson boots? (Just interested cuz boots were such an issue last season)

shine
12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Did everyone see the below -- Jeremy skating to a selection from Giselle, choreo by Kathryn McSwain (part of Young Choreographers challenge). Where Jeremy is on one knee and he touches both hands to the ice is a lovely moment (reminds me somewhat of similar moment in his Muse fp this season).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQHqNOAe_Zc

Wow, Jeremy is such a lovely skater. Maybe he should work with McSwain on expanding this for possibly a competitive sp.

ETA: On second thought, this piece as constructed is probably more suited to an exhibition (since IJS demands such jam-packed programs/ jumps, spins, etc. for points-grabbing, there's little time to develop a storyline -- although perhaps it would work for a longer fp with many adjustments). I love so many of the movement elements.

Oh wow, oh wow! That is a beautiful beautiful program!! Who is Kathryn McSwain? Is she mainly a dance choreographer or a skating choreographer? The program has some very interesting transitions and the movements were choreographed to every note of the music... Kudos to both of them! Is it possible to turn this into a competitive program?? We have never seen Jeremy do a classical, story-themed program and this just proved that he'd be stunning in one!!!

Sylvia
12-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh wow, oh wow! That is a beautiful beautiful program!! Who is Kathryn McSwain?
Kate was a competitive skater (Senior level) who used to train out of Colorado Springs with Abbott - here's her official site: http://kmcswain.com/

Sylvia
12-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Here's an interview with Jeremy while he was in Paris the week before Rostelecom Cup: http://www.artonice.it/?q=en%2Fnode%2F10962

jlai
12-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Here's an interview with Jeremy while he was in Paris the week before Rostelecom Cup: http://www.artonice.it/?q=en%2Fnode%2F10962

I'm surprised he's surprised how the committee picked the top 3 at nationals for worlds. (Johnny Weir, the world bronze medalist (ETA: and GPF bronze medalist), got left off the team in 09. And Johnny had a stronger case)

Sylvia
12-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm surprised he's surprised how the committee picked the top 3 at nationals for worlds. (Johnny Weir, the world bronze medalist, got left off the team in 09. And Johnny had a stronger case)
Yes, but Weir was 5th at 2009 Nationals and 25 points behind the total score of Lysacek in 3rd (not that I'm trying to encourage a rehashing of this dead horse! ;)).

BittyBug
12-03-2011, 07:09 PM
But since you mentioned it ;)......Weir was a least the reigning World Bronze medalist, while Abbott's international track record has been rather dismal. I'd like to see Abbott turn that around, but to make the World team he's going to have to place on the podium just like everyone else. US Figure Skating is nothing if not consistent in that regard.

Personally, I wish they would change the international team selection rules and come up with a concrete weighting for competitive history. X place at prior Worlds = Y points, XX place at GPF = YY points, XXX place at Nationals = YYY points, etc. Right now the rules seem to be deliberately vague. As I understand it the reason for the muddiness is to (1) give the appearance that Nationals isn't the qualifying event for the Olympics (because then the USOC would have jurisdiction of the event in Olympic years) and (2) give USFS room for some extraordinary circumstance, but as written the rules suggest to the athletes that competitions other than Nationals will in fact be considered, when in reality, there's no evidence that they ever are.