PDA

View Full Version : Unusual jump combo... inspiration from the past

Pages : 1 [2] 3

johndockley92
11-09-2011, 01:52 AM
^^ :lol: Would love to see that up close and personal. :) Is Rohene skating in shows in Europe now?

Yup. During competition season he does shows, and in the off-season he works as a choreographer, at least afaik.

aftershocks
11-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Jill Trenary did a single axel into a double jump (off the landing foot); can't remember the second jump. I second the motion for rewarding innovative jump combos.

Up thread it is noted in my edited first post: Jill did a one-foot axel into a 3-salchow

Ozzisk8tr
11-09-2011, 02:36 AM
Emily Hughes used to do a one foot axel in a triple salchow in her junior programs.

She also used to a charlotte into her combo spin or layback. She also invented the shoot the duck position on her sit spin.

Another one I would say, was Midori Ito's double loop-triple loop combo. Who even did that ever?

Do you mean her layover back sit? I thought the goal of any sit spin was to hit a shoot the duck position. I may be misunderstanding your post though...
I've always liked the triple flip after the half loop (triple lutz half loop triple flip). Anyone on ice doing a double loop that lands on the inside back edge of the other foot yet? (half loop with an extra rotation in it). How would it be judged? It's obviously harder than a half loop but what would happen in a three jump combo?

Vash01
11-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Jill Trenary did a single axel into a double jump (off the landing foot); can't remember the second jump. I second the motion for rewarding innovative jump combos.

She did a one foot axel (landing on the same leg) into a triple salchow.

Vash01
11-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Emily Hughes used to do a one foot axel in a triple salchow in her junior programs.

She also used to a charlotte into her combo spin or layback. She also invented the shoot the duck position on her sit spin.

Another one I would say, was Midori Ito's double loop-triple loop combo. Who even did that ever?

I don't think she invented that. Skaters have been doing sit spin in a shoot the duck position for a while. Paul Wylie used to do a great one.

Another jump combination- I don't know if this has been mentioned yet- Plushenko used to do a triple axel-half loop-triple flip, which is insanely difficult.

skateboy
11-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Rohene Ward Audition Video #1 (spirals, spins, cantilever, footwork): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA27GFWr-3k

Rohene Ward Audition Video #2 (spins as well as jump sequences in both directions, including 2Axel): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC1-havgrIk

I'd forgotten how incredible Rohene is! Always felt he was (and still is) one of the biggest talents--EVER--in FS. He's so special. Thanks for posting these.

skateboy
11-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Jill Trenary's inside axel-3salchow is at 1:34 in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eTF9_sTuME

Coco
11-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd like to see a 1 foot double salchow into 3flip or 3salchow.

I think that the code change recognizing 1/2 loops as single loops applies to other one foot jumps as well.

briancoogaert
11-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Jill Trenary's inside axel-3salchow is at 1:34 in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eTF9_sTuME
Kristina Czako also did it in 1993.

Florent Amodio is trying a 3Lz/half-loop/3Sal this season.

delayedaxel
11-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Lovely!

Now I'm wondering why skaters don't include delayed axels at least in their exhibitions nowadays :cool:

Sk8swan
11-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Another unusual jump combo (not sure it can be defined "inspirational") was Kielmann(?)'s endless loop-2loops combo. I guess she brought it in from her roller skating heritage.

Seerek
11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Another unusual jump combo (not sure it can be defined "inspirational") was Kielmann(?)'s endless loop-2loops combo. I guess she brought it in from her roller skating heritage.

If I read the CoP rules correctly, only the first three jumps in that pass, like in This Long Porgram from Marina Kielmann at the 1993 World Championships (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHA091VZyo0) would count, though perhaps one could argue that a combination like this helps with components as well....

There is no incentive anymore to do double-triple combinations because CoP doesn't factor in order of elements when calculating base values.

Therefore, 3 loop - 2 loop base value = 2 loop - 3 loop base value (which is IMO crazy, IMO)

sk9tingfan
11-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Kristina Czako also did it in 1993.

Florent Amodio is trying a 3Lz/half-loop/3Sal this season.

Adam Rippon already has done this combination at Skate Canada

Sylvia
11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
In addition to Chan, Amodio and Rippon, Brandon Mroz, Max Aaron and Alex Johnson also have 3Lz-half loop-3S combos planned in their FS (so it's not just a Colorado Springs fad ;)). Many skaters have added it to their repertoire recently because it's a considered a combination jump this season (receiving the full base value of both triples) and not a sequence.

gkelly
11-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Emily Hughes ... She also invented the shoot the duck position on her sit spin.

How are you defining "shoot the duck position"? I think that was the original basis of the sitspin. I've seen a picture of Axel Paulsen in that position (no, it's not online). Not sure how low Jackson Haines got when he invented the spin. But anyway I think it's been around since the 19th century.

If I read the CoP rules correctly, only the first three jumps in that pass, like in This Long Porgram from Marina Kielmann at the 1993 World Championships (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHA091VZyo0) would count, though perhaps one could argue that a combination like this helps with components as well....

My understanding (I'll defer to any technical panel experts if I'm wrong) is that a combination with six jumps like that would get no credit at all because the current rules only allow combinations with two or three jumps (only one of the latter per program).

If there were any nonlisted jumps or changes of foot in the middle, then it would be a jump sequence and only (80% value of) the two highest value jumps would count. So it would be worth 80% as much as double axel-double loop combo.

There has to be a better way to reward jump sequences appropriately without allowing skaters to pack their programs with lots of extra points compared to skaters who don't do jump sequences.

There is no incentive anymore to do double-triple combinations because CoP doesn't factor in order of elements when calculating base values.

Which is why I think there should be a bonus multiplier for the second (or third) jump in a true combination. That would also encourage combos like one-foot axel-triple salchow, which would then become more valuable than triple salchow-double toe, as well it should be.

I'd like to see a 1 foot double salchow into 3flip or 3salchow.

Would you settle for one-foot triple salchow (with touchdown) into double flip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqqcCAAoEp0)?

I think that the code change recognizing 1/2 loops as single loops applies to other one foot jumps as well.

Actually, it was always permitted to land any jump on the opposite foot and have it count the same as the regular jump with that takeoff and that number of revolutions. Depending whether it looked intentional or not would affect the GOE. Single loop with opposite foot landing (i.e., half-loop) was explicitly an exception -- until the most recent change, when it is now explicitly included in that principle as a single loop, but only when it's part of a jump combo or sequence. It's still considered a nonlisted jump that doesn't waste a jump slot on a lousy single loop if it occurs in isolation.