PDA

View Full Version : Elena Iliynkh & Nikita Katsalapov

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

topaz
11-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV first GP appearance is at NHK. I"m anxious to see their new program with their new coaches Morosov and TAT.

Anyone know if Zhulin gave them up or was the choice out of his hands?

Any new info on the their programs?

Carmen Ovsiannikov
11-08-2011, 05:23 AM
topaz, I was thinking about I&K earlier when browsing through the NHK roster.

From what I read in a couple of threads over the summer, it seemed that the Russian Federation wanted the change.

I also recall mention of issues with Elena's and Nikita's work ethic or rather lack of work ethic. With all the drama over alleged relationships and whatnot I also wonder what I&K's programs look like.

While watching some of the Cup of China FD's, Judy Blumberg mentioned that the Russian Federation seemed to be pushing B&S as Russia's team number one. I'm not sure if that is true or if Judy was just reacting to and being annoyed by B&S's first place and the scores they received. If she wasn't just doing the "Russia is politicking for first place" then perhaps it doesn't bode well for the condition I&K might be in.

I am looking forward to their programs, especially the SD.

dlynndao
11-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on Elena & Nikita's SD and FD performances at NHK Trophy!

For me, SD was OK...potential definitely there, but inevitable that they will be compared to V/M. Not sure I would have put them in 1st place, though (not a flawless performance!).

I was concerned about the FD, with the coaching change so late and NHK being their first time competing this season. They also did not perform complete programs at the Russian Federation test skate earlier in the season, so this was literally their first outing of the year.

Turns out I actually love the program! -- the version of Ave Maria is a little different and not overly heavy, there was nothing distasteful or strange in the choreography, and I liked the mirror twizzle section among other things.

BUT...that all said, there were too many errors, missteps, and other little mistakes to count, maybe to be expected since this was their first competition of the season. That said, there's not much time between now and the GPF, assuming that's their goal! I'm still excited though, and can't wait to see it all polished up...I'm convinced it will be gorgeous. SO much talent!!

Cloudy_Gumdrops
11-12-2011, 04:33 AM
I like both of their programs.

The SD isn't very latin, but that's a problem for almost everybody.

I really like the FD. Those mirror twizzles were my favorite part.

I thought they scored well for their first competition. They got the 2nd highest PCS and they have some levels to work on. Once they work out the kinks, they'll be right up there with S&S, W&P, P&B, and B&S. The fact that they got such good PCS (better than Shibs who are the reigning world #3 and by all accounts skated a blinder) tells me the judges will give them the scores provided they skate cleanly.

zilam98
11-12-2011, 05:08 AM
somehow my feeling is that they have lost some of the IT factor--they dont have that as much now as when they first turned seniors.

zilam98
11-12-2011, 05:11 AM
there are tons of latin music out there but they had to choose the same two songs that v/m are doing. it's almost like those two songs are this season's warhorses. ;)

triple_toe
11-12-2011, 06:19 AM
It seems like she's grown taller and that's screwed them up a bit.

shine
11-12-2011, 06:24 AM
somehow my feeling is that they have lost some of the IT factor--they dont have that as much now as when they first turned seniors.
I am kind of feeling the same way. The things that made them stand out so much and made me go completely :swoon: in the 2009-2010 season have somewhat disappeared. Of course, the current SD format as well as them being with Morozov does not help at all.

topaz
11-12-2011, 06:34 AM
I like both of their programs.

The SD isn't very latin, but that's a problem for almost everybody.

I really like the FD. Those mirror twizzles were my favorite part.

I thought they scored well for their first competition. They got the 2nd highest PCS and they have some levels to work on. Once they work out the kinks, they'll be right up there with S&S, W&P, P&B, and B&S. The fact that they got such good PCS (better than Shibs who are the reigning world #3 and by all accounts skated a blinder) tells me the judges will give them the scores provided they skate cleanly.

I agree with the entire post.

I like the first part of the SD alot, the 2nd part seems unconnected to the first part. But I do see improvement for them from last season.

caseyedwards
11-12-2011, 06:40 AM
They didn't do well last season. Failing to medal at their first GP event. Then winning bronze in their second because of pullouts after they placedd 6th in the SD. Barely making the Euros team over K/A and then making wolds when they had their one good competition of the season at Euros. 10th in the FD at worlds made their whole season look terrible and the talent wasn't much on display. They blamed and the RUssian federation blamed an absentee coach who cared more about his businiess ventures than coaching. Now they have a coach who is involved a lot in all his skaters programs but whose programs draw harsh reviews most of the time! But at least they won the SD and medaled and are seemingly on the right track. Though their TES problems were largely Katsalopov's problem again! He still needs lots of work!

Yukari Lepisto
11-12-2011, 07:33 AM
What happened over the summer? What kind of drama is it?

lauravvv
11-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I am kind of feeling the same way. The things that made them stand out so much and made me go completely :swoon: in the 2009-2010 season have somewhat disappeared. Of course, the current SD format as well as them being with Morozov does not help at all.
Of course, no matter what some think about Zhulin as a trainer, he and his team are of a more creative kind than Morozov. Seems that creativity and the dance itself is just as important to them as marks.

A the same time, I have to say that I didn't quite get the excitement about Ilinykh/Katsalapov's FD last year. I can understand that people who love ballet liked it, and it really was quite elegant. But I also thought that more could be done with the balletic style of it, and the choreography could be more intricate/with more detail in it. Perhaps it would have been too difficult for them in their first senior year, though.

So, I have to say that although their new FD is in a more generic/often seen style, I like it more than the previous one. The emotional component of this program makes up for the not very original style. Besides, they even have some really interesting elements in it.

To tell the truth, after the SD I started to hope that they could win this event, even though I actually like Weaver/Poje better. It's just that I don't care for Shibutanis much (or at all), and if I/K had won here, there would have been hope for them to get into GP Final instead of Shibutanis. But no such luck. Of course, I shouldn't wish bad luck on anyone, even if I don't quite like them, but I just couldn't refrain from dreaming :).

mia joy
11-12-2011, 05:09 PM
I must say I like their FD much more than last season's as well. Maybe because they're one of very few teams out there who did not fear to use a not-so-uplifting piece of music, as well as to ditch the ballroom bandwagon (although B/S seem to have done the same thing and I don't like their FD at all). However, I think artistically superior, they're technically nowhere near the Shibs, let alone V/M and D/W. At least at this particular event.

They have a huge potential, though and I don't think it's impossible for them to become the 2018 Olympic champions. 2014, no way. But I really like their interpretation skills, so much better than most of the North American teams. Will be glad if they improve to push B/S off the Russian no 1 team status.

Plus, Elena is so gorgeous it also makes watching them easier :P

What's their next event again? CoR, I suppose?

oleada
11-12-2011, 05:12 PM
No, it's next week at TEB.

Autumn_girl
11-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Reportedly Elena got injured at the warm-up before the FD (I saw it on TV, she fell pretty hard and hit the board), her knee hurts and it's unclear if I/K will be able to skate at Gala or not. I guess it's one of the reasons of their technical mistakes today. Hope she will recover for TEB