PDA

View Full Version : Dancing With The Stars, Week 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

inthemiddle
11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I'll have to find that on YouTube. I'm glad she did that. I love how Tristan giggles when someone is complementing him.
Just for your pleasure :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Codebear4#p/u/0/u1-BVvm-3RQ
http://www.youtube.com/user/Codebear4#p/u/6/4a9exU3xv8w
http://www.youtube.com/user/Codebear4#p/u/3/SUGjYxJuKnA

pixie cut
11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Lots of emotions. It was time for Nancy to go. I took no offense at Len's remarks. I did take offense at how Nancy spoke to Tristan whether it was scripted/produced or not. Yes, she was gracious at the end. The least she could do. I thought Tristan looked uncomfortable and in survival mode most of the time.

I liked Hope's jive. It was kind of crazy and fun, but why was she wearing salsa pants? Glad she had at least one week where she didn't look like she was suffering.

JR is far and away the class of the field.

I still like Ricki, but this wasn't her week.

kwanfan1818
11-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Probably not going to stand up to Strictly, but they tend to a higher caliber anyway (I have no idea why.)
I got the impression from an interview with Pamela Stephenson's husband that they can train ahead of time and don't have to come in cold.

danceronice
11-10-2011, 02:05 AM
I got the impression from an interview with Pamela Stephenson's husband that they can train ahead of time and don't have to come in cold.

Yeah, but DWTS usually gets four weeks or so in advance--at 20-some hours a week that's a LOT of time. (I was thinking how I have a showcase Saturday, and it SEEMS like I've had so much longer than the DWTS people to prep--except I have one 45-minute lesson a week that's not completely devoted to the routine in fact we didn't really finish the routine until last week so I've had probably....maybe six hours total on this dance. If I could do 20+ hours it would be AWESOME!)

Perhaps the SCD pros know how to use that time better? Get them used to more than one dance and do drills instead of jumping right into the first routine?

kwanfan1818
11-10-2011, 02:23 AM
But is 20 hours a week time well spent if the student is starting from scratch? It's possible that after a while they could be numb with the number of directions thrown at them, before they have it in their bodies.

From Teenes interview with Renee Roca and Michael Siebert:

“When we have our three weeks in September, I stress very hard [to the players], we’ve got three weeks to learn our language, and we have to learn everything in those three weeks,” Michael Seibert explained. “A lot of that means we do a bunch of lifts off the ice in those three weeks because once this train leaves the station, you don’t have real time to learn new skills, even though they’re actually getting better as skaters.”

Those weeks are after the intensive boot camp, before they are matched as partners.

That set up doesn't seem like such a bad idea for DWTS: it might help them all if all of the pros taught open boot camp for all of the competitors, even if they had to split up the same period into boot camp and then dancing with the pro. Or maybe boot camp/drills for most of the day, and then a hour or two of simple choreography with their pro for the rest.

Jimena
11-10-2011, 03:08 AM
I just watched part of the result show, and though I truly have no interest in watching the Michael Jackson Cirque du Soleil show, I'd consider going if only to see Les Twins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6OeNwrU5_8). I saw that they were featured.

They're amazing.

danceronice
11-10-2011, 03:14 AM
I don't think twenty hours would be too much if they took the first week and instead of jumping right into "Okay, our first dance is the waltz" they treated the first couple hours as an intro--"Here's a basic hold, here's how we do a rumba walk..." I don't think any sort of group instruction is beneficial since they need to be learning how to dance with their pro above anything, but instead of worrying about creating a routine, learn how to get in frame with him/her, feel a lead/backlead, and learn how it feels to dance with that teacher. That way when you inevitably DO screw up, and everyone does it, you know you can just get back to the lead (or with a female pro the backlead) and you don't do what Chynna did, where she was walking through steps without any real connection to Tony so when she forgot what she was doing, he couldn't cover in any way. Also introduced very basic things like a jive basic (which no one the show does well-they overfocus on side by side kicks--I'd kill to see a really well-done set of chicken walks), simple New Yorkers in cha, a natural turn and a chasse in weave, feather finish for foxtrot, basic samba walks, voltas and bota fogos--the simple stuff off the bronze syllabus so when they DO get to that dance, it's not OMG I HAVE NO FRAME OF REFERENCE but "Okay, we learned a little about this before, now we build on it.)

I really loved how Tristan's first waltz with Nancy was a pretty standard bronze waltz--simple invitation to connect, pretty simple choreography, limited hold breaks, no futzing around with props or goofy intros, stuff that as long as she could stay in frame with him, she could do, because he could lead it. It might not be scintillating TV, but he wasn't throwing the whole Gold syllabus at her and hoping something stuck.

After three months with my first, kind of an idiot teacher, my first forty-five minute lesson (which I completely lucked into) with Chris was mostly rumba box in hold, with him saying "Tell me where you are"--teaching me to get into his right hand and give him something to lead. Did not take long, but it gave me a 'safe' place to go to--if something went wrong during a routine, I give him something to lead, we get out of it. Has made new pro's life MUCH easier. If they really do have 3-4 weeks with minimum 20 hours a week with their pro, even devoting the first two or three of those hours to developing connection would save a lot of the celebs when the routine doesn't got 100% on the show.

kwanfan1818
11-10-2011, 08:03 AM
I fear that the most of the stars' advanced research and reference for ballroom is watching past DWTS on YouTube.

The NY Daily News did an article where they chose three judges with dance backgrounds and had them judge this week's dances:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/dancing-stars-week-8-york-dance-experts-judge-contestants-article-1.974298

Nan
11-10-2011, 02:53 PM
The NY Daily News did an article where they chose three judges with dance backgrounds and had them judge this week's dances:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/dancing-stars-week-8-york-dance-experts-judge-contestants-article-1.974298

This is an interesting read. Thank you.

danceronice
11-10-2011, 03:42 PM
LOL...they're in NEW YORK and all they could find are tango dancers? AT and ballroom are unrelated-they're slightly more qualified than Carrie Anne to look at a jive or a quickstep. (Real AT has limited/no technique in common with ballroom tango.) Half the best teachers and judges in the US are based out of NY-they couldn't find at least one person who actually dances the styles on the show?

kwanfan1818
11-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I fear the editors of the Daily News didn't go to their excellent arts people and have the same misconceptions of what ballroom is that many of the stars do coming into the show. They clearly were not reared on the old PBS ballroom competition specials on PBS :drama: (Nancy Grace has NO excuse, being in her 50's :))

sk8er1964
11-10-2011, 07:20 PM

If you vote in the poll on who should win, the results are something like JR 71%, everyone else splits 29%.

danceronice
11-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I fear the editors of the Daily News didn't go to their excellent arts people and have the same misconceptions of what ballroom is that many of the stars do coming into the show. They clearly were not reared on the old PBS ballroom competition specials on PBS :drama: (Nancy Grace has NO excuse, being in her 50's :))

Heck, I was watching those when I was in grad school...alas, no more funding for them. (Besides, in fairness, it did kind of make Ohio's schedule a PITA for everyone else...)

But really, half the Russian teachers in the US are based out of NY and the others are in NJ--they couldn't have walked a few blocks and found SOMEONE who actually teaches ballroom, not AT? (That's a whole other planet...I have been lead through it once by someone who does it well, but I do not begin to understand the minefield of AT culture...)