PDA

View Full Version : Dancing With The Stars, Week 8

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

WindSpirit
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I knew this day was coming any week now but it still sucks.

I don't feel like watching the results show. What did Nancy say? And Tristan? Were they very upset/disappointed?

I hate the way they went. I wanted them go out on a good note. The whole "Only cool kids go to the ball and you don't belong" crap left a bad taste in my mouth. And Rob Stomp Jump Stomp Kardashian and Stiff Hopeless Hope are still in the competition. Bleh.

cruisin
11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
I knew this day was coming any week now but it still sucks.

I don't feel like watching the results show. What did Nancy say? And Tristan? Were they very upset/disappointed?

I hate the way they went. I wanted them go out on a good note. The whole "Only cool kids go to the ball and you don't belong" crap left a bad taste in my mouth. And Rob Stomp Jump Stomp Kardashian and Stiff Hopeless Hope are still in the competition. Bleh.

Nancy really was the worst on Monday night, she deserved to go. The other two will go, as well. JR and Ricki are the lock in for the final two, and hopefully JR for the win. The only thing that would prevent that would be voters thinking they don't have to vote.

Rob
11-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Glad Nancy went, but I really hope that Tristan comes back next season. And Chelsie Hightower.

Dance Center is the best.

skatesindreams
11-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Who would have guessed that Hope and Maks would improve enough this week to justify being in the semifinals?

my little pony
11-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Who would have guessed that Hope and Maks would improve enough this week to justify being in the semifinals?

she did?

skatesindreams
11-09-2011, 04:16 PM
She didn't, of course.
However, the voters thought so!

WindSpirit
11-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Nancy really was the worst on Monday night, she deserved to go. Geez, I just said I was a little upset by Nancy and Tristan going home and mainly because of Len's nasty remark. The "You don't belong with the cool kids" vibe stunk. I wasn't looking for an argument whether they "deserved" to go home or not. :rolleyes: But I'll indulge you.

Others were worst many times before and hadn't gone home the week when they sucked the most. So even if you believe that Nancy was the worst this week, why should she go home?

Rob and Hope are not better dancers than Nancy. If anything they can remember the choreography better but they can't execute it well. Stomping and being shoved around the dance floor or skipping as if on a broken hip is not dancing. Trust me I have no delusions when it comes to Nancy's dancing abilities or lack thereof, but this season is very poor dancing quality-wise so I don't see a reason why she couldn't have stayed one or two more weeks. Even JR isn't that great. He's so good only in comparison with the rest. If he was competing during last year's Strictly he would deserved to go home in the 5th place. The same one as Nancy. Before them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQv6cj3phM), and them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OOfeZVzok) and them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDzzqqUlSvU), and them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kdhjXHUfes). Not sure if he would deserve to stay past 3rd place this year.

Ricki is just a tad better than Nancy/Rob/Hope. The last show exactly exposed her weak points and there are many. She had the same deer in headlights look as Nancy when she forgot her routine. And Ricki got lost 3 times at least (I stopped counting after that) The difference between them was that Derek decided to distract the audience and the judges by dancing frenziedly around her while Tristan always tried to dance with Nancy and every time she got lost he was there to catch her and steer her in the right direction. I love Derek, he's an amazing dancer, he is. But I know that already. I'm not interested in seeing him outdancing his partner while's she's looking for a clue. And that's why Tristan has stolen so many hearts. Not because of his pretty face. Because he always includes you, no matter who you are or what your abilities are. Maks would have checked out mentally weeks ago if he had gotten a partner like Nancy. He's done it with Hope, who's young and beautiful and supposedly a better dancer. Which she's not, she's an atrocious dancer.

Nancy was a perfect contestant in a way that she totally went for it, kept positive attitude, was sincerely grateful for any positive recognition of her efforts and had fun. She never worried about how it would make her look even though she was completely out of her element. And she had the most to lose. I respect that. I probably couldn't do it if I were her. But most of all, I thoroughly enjoyed Nancy's partnership with Tristan and I think Tristan was wonderful in every way. If I can't have quality dancing, that was the second best. Although Tristan always danced beautifully, so there. And whomever he was dancing with, Nancy or a professional partner, he always danced as a pair.

I rest my case.

Yazmeen
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Um, maybe you weren't looking for an "argument," but those of us who believed Nancy's elimination was fair have our right to speak out, too. Nancy was far from a dream to work with since she couldn't let go of her "I'm in charge, nobody gets a word in edgewise" personality in rehearsals. She was basically a decent contestant, sometimes quite good (I ADORED their Spamalot routine, she was absolutely wonderful and underscored there). I would have probably sent Hope home first, but Hope pulled it out bigtime this week, and like him (and his family) or hate him (and his family), Rob has shown steady improvement. Nancy's last two weeks have shown her to be moving downward on the dancing scale, not upward. Yes, Len's remark was uncalled for just as his anointing the Pussycat Doll the winner before Evan and Anna danced was, but it didn't change the outcome. She was definitely the one with the poorest performances over the last two weeks.

Frankly, Chynna Phillips should still be in the mix. She was a significantly better dancer than Hope, Rob, and Nancy. She should have been here for the finals, but lacked the fan base to save her after one rough dance.

mpal2
11-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Nancy was a perfect contestant in a way that she totally went for it, kept positive attitude, was sincerely grateful for any positive recognition of her efforts and had fun.

I'll bite on this one.

One of my co-workers felt like she did enough to look like she was going all out physically but wasn't. He specifically mentioned how she always seemed to be able to talk with Brook after the fact. He pointed to Kirstie Alley and Rikki Lake in comparison where they were constantly needing to take a breath and found it difficult to talk during the interviews. It's possible that she just had great stamina but I doubt it. I tend to agree with him on this point. Totally going for it, IMO, would end up with her struggling for air a little more.

I do agree with you that she had fun and mostly had a positive attitude. She certainly had to wear some outfits that required her to have a sense of humor about the show. :)

I had a couple of issues with some of the comments she made to Tristan in rehearsals but it's also a few sentences out of who knows how many hours of taped footage. It would be easy to get cranky at the end of the day or have an off day but still remain positive overall. I give her the benefit of the doubt about editing.

I appreciate that she did squash her Type A personality and listen to Tristan in the end. That was probably a hard thing for her to do so it speaks volumes about how much she trusted him. I agree with you that he was dancing with her and not around her like Derek. I thought her comments about Tristan were very sincere in her final interview and it was very respectful to him.

WindSpirit
11-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Um, maybe you weren't looking for an "argument," but those of us who believed Nancy's elimination was fair have our right to speak out, too. Sigh. You missed my point. Have your say to your heart's desire. I'm all for it.

But I wasn't even arguing that Nancy shouldn't have gone home. If anything, I stated that I had known "it would be any week now". I just said I was a little upset about her going home, especially in those circumstances. Why shoot it down with basically "But she sucked anyway so there"? Well whatever. It's not like I can't shoot that argument down. :P

danceronice
11-09-2011, 05:39 PM
If she's not out of breath, that can also mean she's just in better shape (you can't in fact tell by looking, you know.) Especially, let's be honest, compared to Kirstie at the outset.

I disagree Rob's improving. He's no better than he has been, which is just okay. Better than Hope, probably not as good as David, but with a HUGE fan base (heck, maybe there are people voting for him because he's coming across as the Only Sane Man in his family, which is at least how he strikes me. I dont' think he's that great but he's got a decent personality.)

Hope got lucky that she's athletic enough to make the jive look good from the knees up. (Her feet and knees were hideous, though some of the knee thing may be those pants did her no favors.) And that they decided to try for the redemption/sucking up arc.

Ricki annoys me. (Apologizing/sucking up for "letting everyone down?" Yeesh.) JR is in fact better than her, and I disagree he's just the best of a week field. Unless he's lying through his teeth he's one of the most natural learners the show's had. Probably not going to stand up to Strictly, but they tend to a higher caliber anyway (I have no idea why.) He WOULD stand up well against a LOT of prior DWTS winners and runners-up.

We've known for weeks who the final two are. At this point, I may throw votes Rob's way to get him to the final three as of the also-rans he deserves it more.

kwanfan1818
11-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Geez, I just said I was a little upset by Nancy and Tristan going home and mainly because of Len's nasty remark. The "You don't belong with the cool kids" vibe stunk...
I think this was ridiculously unprofessional, as unprofessional as when he called a winner in the late stages before the final contestant had gone, but even ruder and more spiteful. It was runner-up to the mutton-and-lamb comments he gave Nancy and Tristan, and unlike Pamela Stephenson and James Jordan, whom I've love, love, love, Nancy and Tristan didn't spend a lot of time on talk shows talking about the age difference, making "Granny" jokes, and Tristan wearing a "I Love Super Gran" t-shirt.

Others were worst many times before and hadn't gone home the week when they sucked the most.
I had forgotten that we are pretending this is based on dance ability :lol:

I think that Hope's Broadway dance was the worst dance of the season apart from the truly untalented, and that includes Chynna Phillips' so-called meltdown.

Rob and Hope are not better dancers than Nancy. If anything they can remember the choreography better but they can't execute it well.
I agree, although I did like Rob in his instant dance this week.

I don't understand why the dress designers tried to sink Nancy again and again. Most ice dancers wear more dress.

Before them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQv6cj3phM),..and them (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDzzqqUlSvU). Not sure if he would deserve to stay past 3rd place this year.
:eek: How do the pros in the UK train those men to stay on the balls of their feet and not get stuck on their heels?

I'm not interested in seeing him outdancing his partner while's she's looking for a clue. And that's why Tristan has stolen so many hearts. Not because of his pretty face. Because he always includes you, no matter who you are or what your abilities are.
That was why I could watch them forever, even when she wasn't at her best, which was not worse than Hope at her worst. It looked Tristan was giving Nancy ballroom dancing lessons.

Which [Hope]'s not, she's an atrocious dancer.
I agree with this, although I think Hope had promise. Maks is an atrocious teacher and made absurd assumptions about how her athletic ability and competitiveness would translate into dancing. He jumped about seven steps in prepping her, and didn't seem to take into consideration the impact of how much she'd be away from training during the show. He was a horrible teacher for her.

I do enjoy Ricki's dancing with Derek a lot, despite her flaws, but I wish that he had been paired with Hope, because I think we'd see a different dancer. I was very impressed with the way Derek tried to prepare Ricki for any type of music they might get. I think that would have translated very well for Hope, since as a player, she prepares herself for situations.

I was also impressed with the way Karina broke the jive into modules that could be put together based on the music they chose. Hope was too much of a head case to absorb that much material by this point in the season, but had she been taught differently earlier, I think she would have understood that breakdown.

But most of all, I thoroughly enjoyed Nancy's partnership with Tristan and I think Tristan was wonderful in every way. If I can't have quality dancing, that was the second best. Although Tristan always danced beautifully, so there. And whomever he was dancing with, Nancy or a professional partner, he always danced as a pair.
This.

Nancy was far from a dream to work with since she couldn't let go of her "I'm in charge, nobody gets a word in edgewise" personality in rehearsals.
Hope was hardly the ideal student for anyone with her "I'm not going to waste time learning the key step to a dance" attitude. Nancy didn't play the "I don't feel like a girl" sympathy card, either.

I would have probably sent Hope home first, but Hope pulled it out bigtime this week
Hope showed a little bit of what she might of been had it not been such a struggle with Maks all season. In that sense, she looked much fresher than Nancy.

Frankly, Chynna Phillips should still be in the mix. She was a significantly better dancer than Hope, Rob, and Nancy. She should have been here for the finals, but lacked the fan base to save her after one rough dance.
She was more insecure than Hope, and she had the advantage of Tony as a partner, which was squandered. I think it was because she looked depressed and dulled that she got zero sympathy for what Keith Hernandez used to call a "vapor lock", and if it had been Hope or Ricki, it might have been seen as a one-time thing to dust off and do better next time.

WindSpirit
11-09-2011, 06:22 PM
One of my co-workers felt like she did enough to look like she was going all out physically but wasn't. He specifically mentioned how she always seemed to be able to talk with Brook after the fact. He pointed to Kirstie Alley and Rikki Lake in comparison where they were constantly needing to take a breath and found it difficult to talk during the interviews. It's possible that she just had great stamina but I doubt it. I tend to agree with him on this point. Totally going for it, IMO, would end up with her struggling for air a little more. By totally going for it I meant forgetting your inhibitions and embracing the experience. I completely agree with you about her not going for it physically 100%. To me it looked like she did most of her moves in 70%. Although I believe she thought she was doing them 100%.

It's easier for me to understand when I think about things I'm not good at. I tried to learn how to play the piano. I could learn the left hand and the right hand separately but it was really hard for me to play with both hands together. I did, just not well. But I was giving it my all. It's just that my all wasn't good enough. It's all about how your brain processes things. Dancing is easy for me. I took to it like fish to water and the idea of expressing yourself through dance is the most natural thing to me. It's hard for me to fathom how difficult it can be for other people sometimes, I have to make myself understand.

From what I've seen Nancy was trying exceptionally hard. Tristan often wanted to go home, she wanted to stay and practice for hours on end, every day. So it wasn't for lack of trying, it's just dancing for her is like playing piano for me. I could not believe how she kept forgetting her frame which is the most basic thing and I'm sure Tristan tried to drill it into her. I'm guessing he realized after a while some of those things were just not going to happen and he tried to work with what they had. As long as I translate it to "it's like my brain processes playing the piano" I can understand it. Because without it I would get quite frustrated with her really fast. People like Nancy are the real challenge if you're a pro on a show like that, because they will never improve beyond a certain point. You have to work with and around what you have. You have to play with three cards if that's all you have.

And by "I don't think I could do it if I were her" I meant that I would love to be a celebrity and go on DWTS. A show where you have to learn how to play the piano and compete against other people live on national TV? Not so much. :yikes:

I had a couple of issues with some of the comments she made to Tristan in rehearsals but it's also a few sentences out of who knows how many hours of taped footage. It would be easy to get cranky at the end of the day or have an off day but still remain positive overall. I give her the benefit of the doubt about editing. Oh I have more than a few issues with some of the comments she made to Tristan.

I thought her comments about Tristan were very sincere in her final interview and it was very respectful to him. I'll have to find that on YouTube. I'm glad she did that. I love how Tristan giggles when someone is complementing him.

cruisin
11-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Geez, I just said I was a little upset by Nancy and Tristan going home and mainly because of Len's nasty remark. The "You don't belong with the cool kids" vibe stunk. I wasn't looking for an argument whether they "deserved" to go home or not. :rolleyes: But I'll indulge you.

I wasn't arguing with you. I was just stating that she really was the worst of the night (Hope a close second, in my opinion). I agree that Len's remark was nasty and out of line, but she did last longer than anyone thought she should, it was time for her to go. It just should not have been said in such an obnoxious way. Actually, it should not have been said at all.

danceronice
11-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I can believe forgetting the frame. It's really one of the hardest things to remember (as evinced by very few people on DWTS and no one really sticking out this season as having a great one) because you have to support, you have to stretch, and you cannot look like you're doing any of that. It's really easy to either let go and slouch a bit, or hold your breath and look really stiff.

And WindSpirit--Nancy was very gracious in her last remarks and also left plenty of time for Tristan to talk, which is always nice when they let the pros have a word! (I wonder if Brooke and Tom were instructed to let him talk for a bit, given he's the new guy and made it really far. Also if you haven't watched the Dance Center "promo" with him...yeah, watch it.)

I realize if we had it every week it would get stale and obviously that's not feasible for Kenny and Jerry but I wish there was a bit more Dance Center....