PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Champion Horse Hickstead Dies

Pages : 1 [2]

Parsley Sage
11-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Eric held a Press Conference in Toronto today, where he confirmed he will take part in the events of the Royal Winter Fair this coming weekend. He also said he considered retirement and that from the way that Hickstead collasped, Eric knows he was thinking of Eric's safety even at the last. Eric also said that if he can find a mount w/in the time restraint there is for naming riders in contention for the team, he wants to be in London next summer.

Watching the video footage of Hickstead's collapse, I had the same feeling. With the way he went down it was like he was trying to protect Eric and prevent him from getting hurt.

AxelAnnie
11-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Did anyone watch the Rolex Top Four 2010 competition. When Abdullah Al Sharbatly of Saudi Arabia got on Hickstead......Abdullah (who no one expected to be in the final four) looked like "Holy Crap! How did I get here!"
He made it through the course, though. That was some horse.

AragornElessar
11-10-2011, 04:32 AM
I saw some of it and you're right. His expression was priceless. :D

For those that don't know, if you reach this competition, you not only have to compete on your own horse, but also go through the course on the other three horses as well. Just to explain why someone else was on Hickstead.

Alixana
11-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I saw some of it and you're right. His expression was priceless. :D

For those that don't know, if you reach this competition, you not only have to compete on your own horse, but also go through the course on the other three horses as well. Just to explain why someone else was on Hickstead.

Was this the competition where Hickstead had 4 clear rounds .. clear rounds with all 4 final riders, including Eric? I know you have to give props to the riders, but also to Hickstead .. what an amazing horse.

AxelAnnie
11-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Yep - Hickstead had no rails down, and Philippe Le Jeune (Belgium) was the only rider to have no rails down.

Final Four Results (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=5669379)

Four competitors took part in the final, which has a unique format for this level of competition. All riders were required to jump the course four times. They competed on their own mounts first, and then rode each of their competitors' horses. Le Jeune was the only person to post four clear rounds.