PDA

View Full Version : Your top 10 Ladies

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DimaToe
11-06-2011, 05:49 AM
So I thought, that while fun, instead of going all :huh: :argue: :lynch: over PJ Kwong's list, we could do that over our own lists.

Here's mine :slinkaway

1.Michelle Kwan
2.Cecilia Colledge
3.Katarina Witt
4.Lucinda Ruh
5.Maria Butyrskaya
6.Janet Lynn
7.Yuna Kim
8.Dorothy Hamill
9.Midori Ito
10.Sonja Henie

museksk8r
11-06-2011, 06:30 AM
This is my list of whose skating style or technical elements I enjoy the most and whose performances I have watched the most, not necessarily who is the most accomplished in the sport (in alphabetical order):

Nicole Bobek
Maria Butyrskaya
Dorothy Hamill
Midori Ito
Yu-Na Kim
Carolina Kostner
Michelle Kwan
Janet Lynn
Joannie Rochette
Yuka Sato

:lynch: Haterz can suck it! :2faced::P

Mayra
11-06-2011, 06:33 AM
You are both full of it. :mad: No way are these the top 10 ladies of all time...oh wait...it's a personal list and not meant to be definitive?

Carry on... :shuffle:

museksk8r
11-06-2011, 06:34 AM
You are both full of it. :mad: No way are these the top 10 ladies of all time...oh wait...it's a personal list and not meant to be definitive?

Carry on... :shuffle:

:lol:;)

Vash01
11-06-2011, 07:40 AM
I have only listed my favorites, with the exception of Henie and Lynn whom I have not seen skating, except for parts of their programs or just clips. The order could change on a daily basis. :)

1.Midori Ito
2.Michelle Kwan
3.Irina Slutskaya
4.Sonia Henie
5.Mao Asada
6.Yu na Kim
7.Kristi Yamaguchi
8.Katarina Witt
9.Dorothy Hamill
10.Janet Lynn

briancoogaert
11-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm going to do the same as PJ Kwong :
1-Michelle Kwan
2-YuNa Kim
3-Janet Lynn
4-Dorothy Hamill
5-Kristi Yamaguchi
6-Midori Ito
7-Joannie Rochette
8-Carolina Kostner
9-Yuka Sato
10-Katarina Witt and Sonja Henie for the palmares

pani
11-06-2011, 01:40 PM
In free order (only skaters, wich i saw in competitions).

Michelle Kwan
YuNa Kim
Kristi Yamaguchi
Katarina Witt
Arakawa (her skating skills and ina-bauer is die for)
Mao Asada
Midori Ito (for her jumps, never ade jumps like she did)
Oksana Baul (yes, i know a lot off people didnt like her, but her arms in "Swan" was amazing. Best "swan" ever)
Slutskay
Joannie Rochette

I didnt saw, but think this ladies ade a lot off for sport - Sonja Henie, Peggy Fleming.

lowtherlore
11-06-2011, 03:29 PM
My top ten, post-1970s, on competition records, quality, legacy (influence), and wow (or “it”) factor:

Kwan, for her grace, passion, longevity and competitive records.
Witt, the iron curtain goddess, the icon of her times, a fierce competitor.
Kim, for her jumps, elegance, musicality, versatility, speed, and masterly execution of subtle nuances.
Lynn, still the reference for grace, musicality, and skating skills.
Yamaguchi, a versatile skater with a good range as a performer.
Slutskaya, for her competitive records and excitement she brought with her powerful skating and huge jumps.
Ito, for her jumps, spectacular enough despite the in-air position and flutzing.
Chen, a very musical skater who mounted an improbable, impressive comeback.
Lipinski, the daring youth skated with joy, abandon and plenty technical contents at the biggest event.
Cohen, despite the failures in the defining moments, for her style and theatrical proficiency.

krenseby
11-06-2011, 06:28 PM
This is my list of whose skating style or technical elements I enjoy the most and whose performances I have watched the most, not necessarily who is the most accomplished in the sport (in alphabetical order):

Nicole Bobek
Maria Butyrskaya
Dorothy Hamill
Midori Ito
Yu-Na Kim
Carolina Kostner
Michelle Kwan
Janet Lynn
Joannie Rochette
Yuka Sato

:lynch: Haterz can suck it! :2faced::P

A great list that I admire very much; I am actually more curious about the ladies competing today that you enjoy. Maria, Nicole, and Joannie were certainly exciting to watch in competition, but who gives you that same excitement this year?

MR-FAN
11-06-2011, 06:41 PM
My List in no particular order:

Midori Ito
Michelle Kwan
Irina Slutskaya
Karen Cadavey
Janet Lynn
Joannie Rochette
Shizuka Arakawa
Sasha Cohen
Carolina Kostner
Mao Asada

:swoon:

krenseby
11-06-2011, 06:52 PM
My List in no particular order:

Midori Ito
Michelle Kwan
Irina Slutskaya
Karen Cadavey
Janet Lynn
Joannie Rochette
Shizuka Arakawa
Sasha Cohen
Carolina Kostner
Mao Asada

:swoon:

Why Karen Cadavy?

doubleflutz
11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
1. Madge Syers, because without her there would be no discipline of ladies skating, and because finishing second to Ulrich Salchow in her day means she was a total badass.
2. Cecilia Colledge, who wuzrobbed of her Olympic title by the villainous greedy Nazi-sympathizer Sonia Henie, was the first lady to land a double jump in international competition, invented the camel and the layback and the hair-cutter and the one-foot axel, did a Biellmann spin before it was cool, had an awesome arabesque for her era, and mostly importantly had a huge legacy as a coach and general commentator on the sport. Plus she went to her first Olympics at 11. :kickass:
3. Maribel Vinson, for having a record as US National Champion as strong as Michelle Kwan's, but mostly for her amazing legacy as a coach and teacher. It really goes beyond "legacy" and into "dynasty" in her case. Figure skating in the US owes her an enormous debt, and since the US was a powerhouse in ladies for a very long time, that means she deserves to be here. Also, her book is really funny and I agree with most of her opinions on what makes great skating even sixty years after the fact!
4. Janet Lynn, for being the epitome of a ladies freeskater: amazing skating skills, superb athleticism, graceful, musical, expressive, and in her own way, an excellent competitor who showed great sportsmanship and grit. The sport changed and became better in large part because of her.
5. Midori Ito, for revolutionizing jumping and the athletic side of the sport in general, and all her amazing accomplishments related to that, plus the fact that she came back to skate as an adult purely for the love of it.
6. Yuna Kim, for being the first Olympic Champion in a long time who combined almost all of the desirable qualities (except her feet and free leg, but she deserves some slack): excellent skating skills, magnificent jumps, good upper body carriage, intricate and difficult programs, and good spirals/spins, while being a clear leader in the technical vanguard. She really deserved her title, with two excellent skates where she held nothing back and really skated to win. After the previous two Olympics, that was refreshing. She is in some ways the true poster-girl for what ladies skating can be under COP, and even for people who hate the system, I think she's an excellent example why COP has been a good way of recovering what was lost in the Dark Ages of the early to mid nineties, when figures had been phased out, and you had an era of World/European/Olympic champions and medalists who had terrible skating skills and for whom "artistry" mostly consisted of posing or waving the arms around. She's also given the skating world an enormous gift with the fantastic shows she produces that have really raised the bar and helped the resurgence of pro skating. If the Korean skating boom matures from an All-Yuna-All-The-Time cult of personality into real appreciators of skating, that will be an even bigger gift to the sport. Who knows if she's done competing as an amateur, but she has not finished building her legacy, and it's already huge.
Joint 7&8, Irina Slutskaya and Michelle Kwan, in no particular order because I really think they deserve to share the honors at this "level". Very different skaters, but each in her own way helped keep something important in the sport alive, after a very confused and dark era. Michelle had fantastic skating skills for someone who had grown up without figures, wonderful musicality, and great carriage/body line without being a bendy ballerina whose pointed toes and arms outstripped her ability to skate, plus she helped elevate spirals as a technical discipline. Irina also had great skating skills, speed, and fabulous athletic and technical abilities, not just in her vanguard jumping like the 3LZ-3LO, but in her footwork, in some of the "transitions" she did into her jumps, and in her spins; much like Michelle kept the original idea of "artistry" alive, I think Ira sometimes almost single-handedly kept the "Michelle era" from stagnating technically. Individually, they were great skaters; together, they brought us out of the Dark Ages showed what could be possible from a new generation of skaters.
9. Lucinda Ruh, for being the best spinner (male or female) of all time, and showing that spins could be as difficult technically and impactful artistically as jumps, while mostly skating in an era that didn't really value tech or artistry as much as it should have. She also had/has excellent skating skills.
10. Lu Chen, just because I love her skating and because she was one of the best things about that era of skating, and because she deserved to be Olympic Champion in '94.

museksk8r
11-07-2011, 01:35 AM
A great list that I admire very much; I am actually more curious about the ladies competing today that you enjoy. Maria, Nicole, and Joannie were certainly exciting to watch in competition, but who gives you that same excitement this year?

:) Thanks! This year I am most excited about Carolina Kostner, who did make my list. I so want her to win Worlds; her programs are so unique and brilliant this season! In the US, my favorites are Alissa Czisny, Ashley Wagner, and Agnes Zawadzki (her athleticism reminds me of Tonya Harding and thank heavens she left Tom Zzzzzzzzzz). I also love the newcomers to the senior scene, Elizaveta Tuktamisheva and Adelina Sotnikova from Russia! I also root for France's Mae Berenice Meite and I really like Valentina Marchei this season too! I also want Elene Gedevanishvili to do well! The lovely Akiko Suzuki is my favorite skater from Japan . . . I so badly want her to win her Nationals and to finally medal at Worlds this season! I also really like the very quirky Alena Leonova and I want to know what the frack has happened to Ksenia Makarova this season? Hopefully, she is going to get better as the season progresses. Anyway, those are the current ladies who interest and excite me! :cheer2::D

BmcC102
11-07-2011, 02:13 AM
My top favorites, in any order:

Tara Lipinski
Michelle Kwan
Midori Ito
Sasha Cohen
Mirai Nagasu (when she's on)/Caroline Zhang (when she was consistent, ugly technique and all)
Sarah Hughes
Carolina Kostner
Mirai Nagasu
Naomi Nari Nam
Lu Chen

alchemy void
11-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Maria Butyrskaya. THE queen. She could do it all: void, (http://youtu.be/ANyIc7Suoo8) elegant beauty (http://youtu.be/LVt3I4IL18s), the best Carmen ever (http://youtu.be/fjPqT3Izhm0), and classy sexy voids (http://youtu.be/JbwLgttAT3k), :glamor:
Olga Markova. Beyond the lime green boa (http://youtu.be/dxjQwiaGsyo), all her eligible programs from 1994 are works of art, especially Harlem Noctorne and Miss Saigon LP (http://youtu.be/GHLKaULJSx0).
Denise Biellmann. Great jumper with some cool programs in her elligible days but stayed amazingly athletic throughout her 30s as a pro. Amazing powerful voids. I would like to have sex to this program, someday (http://youtu.be/SrI-L34_Jh0).
Tonya Harding. Insane power and athleticism + voids it out to Tone Loc. :inavoid: So much unrealized potential.
Carolina Kostner. I've always been a fan but her programs this year are crazy good. I want her to win Worlds so bad!
Nicole Bobek. The most charismatic skater ever. Unfortunately also the skater with the most untapped potential ever. Even watching her bomb an amazing WTF program (http://youtu.be/2WkNCOq9Y6w) is still enjoyable. :cheer:
Joannie Rochette. Best power skater since Harding. Hope she skates at Worlds again.
Katarina Witt.
Michelle Kwan. I found her a little bit boring most of the time but her 1997 and 1999 LPs are undoubtedly masterpieces (even though Butyrskaya beat her in '99 :EVILLE ), and her consistency is legendary.
Surya Bonaly. Just because. Great style even if she couldn't or more likely, wouldn't ;) grasp the concept of edges.