PDA

View Full Version : Letter to homeowner who didn't hand out candy on Halloween

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mozart
11-06-2011, 12:00 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/kids-letter-homeowner-didn-t-hand-halloween-candy-201309265.html

Not that I actually believe "kids" wrote this letter but wow, people are so entitled these days. There are many reasons for not handing out candy.
The homeowner wrote a hilarious response on kijiji. Yeah for him!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-community-other-Looking-for-the-author-of-this-letter-see-image-W0QQAdIdZ327159744

falling_dance
11-06-2011, 12:02 AM
:cheer2: Yay, homeowner! :cheer2:

MikiAndoFan#1
11-06-2011, 12:05 AM
I invite you to come over and enjoy watching us eat these, and possibly make yourself useful cleaning up the wrappers.

:rofl:

Indra486
11-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Ugh and I'm sure the parents of those children approved of that letter to begin with.

This also reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel's challenge to parents to trick their kids by telling them that all their candy was eaten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQpbzQ6gzs

The last two and the one cutie are the ones whom this man probably won't have to weep for. :lol:

Prancer
11-06-2011, 12:17 AM
I want to meet these "children of the hood" who, among other things, use the word "rectify" with such ease.

:rolleyes:

I weep, but not for the future.

danceronice
11-06-2011, 12:21 AM
I'd say he should weep for the English skills of the future except his note's not much better.

Whatever happened to teaching your kids "Porch light on, you knock, porch light off, they're not handing out candy?" It was just assumed that not EVERYONE in the neighborhood was giving out candy, and if they ran out turning out the light meant not to knock. When did it become mandatory to give out candy? It wasn't even typical to 'prank' houses that didn't give candy, let alone send extortion notes with suggestions for what to give next year (or to bring candy by to apologize!)

I hope (but have no more confidence than he appears to) that the parents don't know about this note and would be deeply ashamed of their kid.

CynicElle
11-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I doubt kids had anything at all to do with the first note.

smurfy
11-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Love the owners response. The owner could have been sick, or out of town or could not afford the candy.
What a bunch of bratty kids/parents.

Prancer
11-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I'd say he should weep for the English skills of the future except his note's not much better.

It's the English skills that make me sure that that note was not written by children, but rather by someone trying to sound like a child.

But hey, if it turns out that some kids did write that note, they would be welcome to take my class any time. They apparently know the difference between "your" and "you're," they correctly punctuated a possessive and they know the difference between "its" and it's." It's a miracle! I especially like the use of the comma after the introductory "If you feel bad" clause.

I have freshmen in college who can't do any of the above, much less whip out the word "rectify" and use it in the same document as an adult phrase like "Come to think of it." If this is how the kids coming up through the schools write now, I can't wait for the future.

marbri
11-06-2011, 01:03 AM
It's possible these were older kids, teenagers, and the note was a bit tongue in cheek. I can picture a group of 14 year olds LTAO writing it ;)

danceronice
11-06-2011, 01:12 AM
I could see a kid writing that (if anything there are a few too many commas and stilted phrasing) but if we're going to suspect an adult, the part that seems odd is using a rather archaic spelling of "Hallo'ween". I just read a bunch of essays for a contest from 7-11th graders and most can handle it's/its better than a lot of twentysomethings these days. (And no, per the rules, no one checked the essays over.) The stilted way this read sounds like a kid trying to sound formal, but then I just had to sift through a lot of middle-school prose, so it may just be stuck in my head.

Or an adult taking dictation/making suggestions? In a really misguided attempt to teach a kid how to deal with complaints? IOW, "We didn't get ANYTHING from Miss Toby's old house and we used to get candy apples!" "Well, if you want to tell the new person how you feel, you should write him a letter."

And of course besides parents or kids, there's also "teens pranking", or whoever posted both notes is just making it up.

Eden
11-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Gotta love homeowner's answer! :respec:

Wyliefan
11-06-2011, 01:22 AM
The homeowner wrote a hilarious response on kijiji. Yeah for him!

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-community-other-Looking-for-the-author-of-this-letter-see-image-W0QQAdIdZ327159744

:rofl:

Can we make the homeowner an honorary FSUer? That's some prime snark right there.

(I've NEVER seen "Hallo'ween." Hallowe'en, yes, but not Hallo'ween.)

shan
11-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Ugh and I'm sure the parents of those children approved of that letter to begin with.

This also reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel's challenge to parents to trick their kids by telling them that all their candy was eaten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQpbzQ6gzs

The last two and the one cutie are the ones whom this man probably won't have to weep for. :lol:

:rofl: at the last 2 kids. I love the older brother trying to help little brother add 2 + 2... :lol:

Andrushka
11-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Yay homeowner lol I taught my 4&5 yr old this year "If the light is off,they do not have any candy." it was following by a "Oh man!" but they got the idea.lol :)