PDA

View Full Version : Adam and that danged tripe axel

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

kwanette
11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Yesterday I saw a skater who looked recharged not someone who was washed up. Late last season I thought his performance lacked joy or the freedom he always had. I saw a renewed spark come back in his skating, a lightness in spite of the axel issue. Other than the axel mistakes I thought his performance was beautiful and love the LP much more than Rach from last year. His spins were first rate too.

ITA, well said.

kwanette
11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Exactly. I don't think Adam's issue is competitive nerves he needs to work on those jumps. I still don't get why Adam always chooses to go with the newest coach rather than going to someone like Frank, Don Laws, Raphael etc. People with some documented history of teaching these type of jumps well. A part of me wonders if some of it is because with the new coaches I'd imagine you hear all the good things but not so much the bad things (yet) They've got the new shiny look.

Frank was booked.

bek
11-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Frank was booked.

He wasn't booked last year. Frank doesn't have a top US male right now.

kwanette
11-06-2011, 11:01 PM
He wasn't booked last year. Frank doesn't have a top US male right now.

Frank wouldn't take Adam because of Evan's return.Last yr Adam wasn't looking.

Sparks
11-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Didn't Adam have to teach himself the 3 Axel because Morosov didn't have time for him?

sk9tingfan
11-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Didn't Adam have to teach himself the 3 Axel because Morosov didn't have time for him?

You're absolutely correct.

Sparks
11-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Thank you.
So, in summary *some* people are talking out of their arses.

mysticchic
11-07-2011, 12:55 AM
I've seen Adam practice over the last few months and I rarely have seen him miss a 3A. I have seen him land the quad lutz. What a beauty that is to see in person!

museksk8r
11-07-2011, 12:55 AM
What Yuka/Jason do have is a good track record working with someone with competition nerves (Czisney) which is probably why both Abbott and Adam went there.

Uh, Jeremy was with Yuka and Jason before Alissa was. Their work with her may have influenced Adam to give them a try, but Abbott was their first elite student. Abbott was with them a full year before Czisny made the move to them.

doubleflutz
11-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Uh, Jeremy was with Yuka and Jason before Alissa was. Their work with her may have influenced Adam to give them a try, but Abbott was their first elite student. Abbott was with them a full year before Czisny made the move to them.

Yeah, but I don't think his results with them necessarily point to him being miraculously cured of headcasing and turned into a strong competitor the way she has. So far, his results have been a lot more mixed. I don't think he's been all that much stronger as a competitor with Yuka and Jason than he was with Tom Z, although he's clearly happier. The results aren't that much better, and he's still been pretty wildly inconsistent. Jason and Yuka's rep as "the headcase whisperers" is really only justified by the dramatic changes in Alissa, not Jeremy. Even then, I think it's probably too early to tell. I think a lot of people have wanted all three of Alissa, Jeremy, and Adam to improve their consistency for a very long time, so there's a lot of putting the cart in front of the horse in the case of Yuka and Jason.

mjames
11-07-2011, 02:10 AM
I've seen Adam practice over the last few months and I rarely have seen him miss a 3A. I have seen him land the quad lutz. What a beauty that is to see in person!

Good to hear and worth repeating. My guess is that it was probably stressful for him to be back in his old training town with a new coach. I watched the SP on You tube- I love it! It was high spirited, great footwork too. He finished both programs strong and his confidence seemed to grow too IMHO.
(Kwanette were you there? How did the crowd receive his programs?) :hat1:

sk8er1964
11-07-2011, 03:01 AM

oops. :shuffle: I thought it was the other way around.

aftershocks
11-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Yeah, but I don't think his results with them necessarily point to him being miraculously cured of headcasing and turned into a strong competitor the way she has. So far, his results have been a lot more mixed. I don't think he's been all that much stronger as a competitor with Yuka and Jason than he was with Tom Z, although he's clearly happier. The results aren't that much better, and he's still been pretty wildly inconsistent. Jason and Yuka's rep as "the headcase whisperers" is really only justified by the dramatic changes in Alissa, not Jeremy. Even then, I think it's probably too early to tell. I think a lot of people have wanted all three of Alissa, Jeremy, and Adam to improve their consistency for a very long time, so there's a lot of putting the cart in front of the horse in the case of Yuka and Jason.

You're speaking of Jeremy? Both of his programs look great this season, and he had complicated, personally challenging programs last season. He did well on last season's GPF circuit (despite being somewhat low-balled in the scoring). Yes, he made too many mistakes in his lp at Nats, but skated a beautiful sp and was .19 out of being on the World team. As it turns out, U.S. Fed, IMHO, probably made a mistake not sending Jeremy to Worlds. But, water under the bridge-- new season. I love Jeremy's lp to Muse's Exogenesis Redemption. Some headlines are saying that Jere won gold at CoC "despite mistakes", and others here are saying he won "by default." No, I think Jeremy won CoC because he skated a fantastic program: great music and choreo, spins to die for, complicated transitions, and a mature and fulfilling program. He went for a quad but came short of landing it, and singled a 3-axel, and that ain't so bad for his first GP event, new season. He won because he had strong PCS and technical scores for what he performed extremely well. Sure if the youngsters, Hanyu and Gachinski had not fallen completely apart (for lack of experience, seasoning, & perhaps endurance on Hanyu's part?), Jeremy might not have won gold, but he still would have medaled. Also, even in the sp, Jeremy had higher PCS than Hanyu and Gach for a reason. Therefore, if Jeremy puts a quad in his sp, that would make him even more competitive, b/c he's got the goods. Lesson of CoC: by God, skate your program and don't worry about your competition.

Jeremy "wildly inconsistent" -- you are off base, and likely still stuck in Abbott's Olympic 2010 sp mode. Jere had kickin' programs that season and had just come off a perfect Nats, second Men's Nat'l championship win. Yeah, he messed up at the Olympics on the largest stage -- get over it. You can call JA a headcase if you want to. To me, he's got a rockin' head on his shoulders and I love watching him skate. :encore:

As far as Angel Boy, yes he needs to fix his 3-axel, but he has great programs this season, and an impish glint in his eyes. Frail, Adam??? Actually, he has quite muscular thighs and body-type which belie his angelic face. Baloney that Adam goes to "hot" coaches -- absolutely ridiculous statement. There are not that many top level coaches to begin with, and he didn't make a snap judgement decision. Please get over the talk down re Yuka and Jason -- they are good at what they do, and their skaters are happy. Whoever said they are miracle workers was exaggerating, and that's what we have a lot of in fs over-hyping, over-exaggeration, and then over-the-top dissing.

doubleflutz
11-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Jeremy "wildly inconsistent" -- you are off base, and likely still stuck in Abbott's Olympic 2010 sp mode. Jere had kickin' programs that season and had just come off a perfect Nats, second Men's Nat'l championship win. Yeah, he messed up at the Olympics on the largest stage -- get over it. You can call JA a headcase if you want to. To me, he's got a rockin' head on his shoulders and I love watching him skate. :encore:

Is there a Kool-Aid smiley? I want a Kool-Aid smiley.

kwanette
11-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Good to hear and worth repeating. My guess is that it was probably stressful for him to be back in his old training town with a new coach. I watched the SP on You tube- I love it! It was high spirited, great footwork too. He finished both programs strong and his confidence seemed to grow too IMHO.
(Kwanette were you there? How did the crowd receive his programs?) :hat1:

Yes, I was there. Adam seemed to receive a warm response, tho' not, of course, at the top of the Chan-o-meter.