PDA

View Full Version : the "uplifting" rule in ice dance

Pages : 1 [2]

walei
11-08-2011, 01:58 AM
why couldnt teams use contemporary songs with definitive rhythms in FDs like how dancing with the stars or so you think you can dance are doing? say, if the teams want to do a waltz type of FD, they can use "carribean blue" or avril lavigne's "keep holding on" as those songs have definitive 3/4 tempos.

I would totally enjoy that but I doubt the Eurocentric ISU would appreciate that. Plus, Marina Anissina would personally whip your butt if you do that.

Aussie Willy
11-08-2011, 02:08 AM
why couldnt teams use contemporary songs with definitive rhythms in FDs like how dancing with the stars or so you think you can dance are doing? say, if the teams want to do a waltz type of FD, they can use "carribean blue" or avril lavigne's "keep holding on" as those songs have definitive 3/4 tempos.

It would be up to a team to want to use that kind of music. There is nothing stopping them. The Muse piece the Kerrs used is a waltz timing.

zilam98
11-08-2011, 02:10 AM
It would be up to a team to want to use that kind of music. There is nothing stopping them. The Muse piece the Kerrs used is a waltz timing.

that's what i liked about the kerrs--their unusual music selections. but then again, such music choices wont win medals.

Aussie Willy
11-08-2011, 02:18 AM
that's what i liked about the kerrs--their unusual music selections. but then again, such music choices wont win medals.
Yeah but you won't win medals on music selection alone either. There is a lot more too it than that. Such as other teams being better.

Most skaters are pretty conservative when it comes to music anyway. Just look at the Galas.

Cherub721
11-08-2011, 03:45 AM

I remember reading that this was the ISU's intent for the waltz SD. They wanted the dancers to choose more modern songs for the waltz and specifically mentioned Dancing with the Stars. I think it was in Jenya's report from an ISU presentation she attended. A few went for it... Crone & Poirier with "Fallin" and Bobrova & Soloviev with "Delilah."

Tak
11-08-2011, 05:48 AM
A few went for it... Crone & Poirier with "Fallin" and Bobrova & Soloviev with "Delilah."

And from what I remember both of them were almost universally panned around here. Be careful what you wish for I guess. :lol:

VIETgrlTerifa
11-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Let's be honest here, it wasn't the Kerrs' music choices that prevented them from winning medals.

Ziggy
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I would totally enjoy that but I doubt the Eurocentric ISU would appreciate that. Plus, Marina Anissina would personally whip your butt if you do that.

Huh? What does it have to do with eurocentrism?

I don't really agree. Kerrs had a lot of technical shortcomings and that's what held them back. I think the judges liked them.

And from what I remember both of them were almost universally panned around here. Be careful what you wish for I guess. :lol:

Well the music alone won't help you if your choreography is crap. ;P