PDA

View Full Version : Breeder's Cup 2011

Pages : [1] 2

skipaway
11-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Well, and they're off! Winner of Juvenile Spring was Baffert's horse Secret Circle. All over the place in the stretch but good win.

Go Stopshoppingmaria in the Juv. filly's turf!!

danceronice
11-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Alas, nipped at the wire by Stephanies Kitten.

Good racing so far today!

skipaway
11-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Scratch of Announce in the F&M Turf for bumping into the on track ambulance. She was very keyed up and as is customary for the European horses, without a lead pony.

Was hoping Shared Account would pull off another win, but alas, not to be.

sk8pics
11-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Enjoyable races. I know someone who was there, right on the rail at the finish line. Looking forward to seeing today's races.... But it all makes me miss Queen Z....

danceronice
11-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Forget Zenyatta, it's Goldikova's day! NO HORSE has ever won four Breeder's Cup races. If she can pull it off...(Though, to be honest, my "money", or rather my Little Red Feather Racing BC compeititon pick, is on Gio Ponti, but I won't be sad to be wrong.)

And there IS a girl in Classic--if anything Havre de Grace will probably go off as the favorite or close to it. If you like charming stories there's Flat Out, if you'd like to see a female jocke win the Classic Chantal is on Game On Dude, if you are smoking mind-altering substances and think Uncle Mo has a chance, you're probably Mike Repole...(Seriously. And "Could beat Frankel at a mile?" Dude, ship him over and find out. I wouldn't be holding my breath.)

skipaway
11-05-2011, 07:40 PM
:fragile: Edgar Prado and Hoofit missing the turn and taking Havelock with them. Edgar's only race of the day. :fragile:

Uncle Mo should be in the Dirt Mile, not the Classic. Repole should know better. Of course, he's living in a dream world if he thinks Frankel's such a pushover.

aka_gerbil
11-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Hee. I feel like I'm the only KY native who hates the Breeder's Cup. It's all due to scheduling though. My family has dairy cattle. We show cows at the North American International Livestock Expo, which is going on in Louisville right now. (I'm actually on my laptop, at the fairgrounds, about 10 feet away from a few of our cows right now.) This is the 38th year for the expo, so we've been here longer. It makes it a pain in the rear trying to find hotel rooms and to go out to eat with two major livestock events going on at the same time. I wish they'd move the timing of the Breeders Cup just a little bit.

skipaway
11-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Wow, Aiden O'Brian's little boy has won the Breeder's Cup Turf! A 3 million dollar race. Great job and a fabulous race.
I always enjoy the Euros. Midday, Sea Moon and Sarafina just kicking up their heals and being obstreporous in the post parade. Just glad they moved the ambulance so there wasn't a repeat of yesterday's problem.

skipaway
11-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Goldikova, no matter how much I love her, should have been taken down from 3rd. She totally interfered with Courageous Cat and about 2 others down the stretch. They had no chance after that.

Incredible race by Hansen in the Juvenile. I don't think he'll be able to go 1 1/4 miles though.

skipaway
11-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Congrats to Drosselmeyer! Feel bad for Chantal getting beat by her ex. but Game On Dude put up a great fight. Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty, Mike Repole/Pletcher's horses came in 2nd and 3rd to last :yikes:

Another good day with lots of upsets and high payoffs.

danceronice
11-06-2011, 01:20 AM
aka_gerbil: 1. I'm betting that the Breeders Cup makes them more money, and 2. It'll be at Santa Anita again next year so you'll be all right.

I didn't see the inquiry--new neighbor had someone cutting a tree, it hit the power line and blew a transformer RIGHT after the Mile, so I didn't see the Classic either until TVG reran it.:mad: Gee, Uncle Mo didn't win. I'm stunned. Think they'll send him to meet Frankel and prove he can beat him at the mile distance? I was rooting for Chantal, but at least she'll get a nice paycheck out of the second-place purse.

My highlight of the day was Joseph O'Brien on St. Nicholas Abbey. Especially since the kid is clearly not long for flat racing (especially if he's STILL growing!) Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.

liv
11-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Awesome for Mike Smith to win on Drossselmeyer, but did anyone else get the feeling he'd almost rather trade this win in for a win last year with Zenyatta?

sk8pics
11-06-2011, 02:37 AM
Yes, it seemed a little like that.

Goldikova, :fragile: I was also surprised they didn't disqualify her. I remember her from last year, she looked so petite and dainty when she walked by me.

I was a bit meh about the races this year. I was bummed for Union Rags, he tried so hard and had to run so far! Well, maybe he will win the derby. I don't think any of the horses I was pulling for won any of their races. This sport will really break your heart.

AragornElessar
11-06-2011, 02:51 AM
First off...What a great day of racing. Didn't get to see any of yesterday's action, as Ladies Day at the BC wasn't shown on Cdn TV. At least, not on anything on our dish that I could see. I hate that.

What a day today though. No shortage of great stories and amazing outcomes. That one race that ended being won by a nose...Now *that's* what keeps me coming back when it comes to Horse Racing. What a great race and moment that was. :D

ITA w/the thoughts on Goldikova. Regardless, what a way to go out on. Instead of a clean third place and securing her rightful place in History, Goldie's final race ever ends in controversy. A shame. :(

However...

My highlight of the day was Joseph O'Brien on St. Nicholas Abbey. Especially since the kid is clearly not long for flat racing (especially if he's STILL growing!) Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.

Could not agree more w/this!! And as my Dad said, it's stuff like this and the experience of it all, that's going to be one heck of a foundation for the Kid if he does indeed end up becoming a Trainer like his Dad. Still, I thought I heard the commentators say he could still compete in Steeplechasing for a few years longer than the flat track. Did I understand that right?

It really was beyond a fantastic race and *the* moment of the day for me too. :D

skipaway
11-06-2011, 03:29 PM
However...

Could not agree more w/this!! And as my Dad said, it's stuff like this and the experience of it all, that's going to be one heck of a foundation for the Kid if he does indeed end up becoming a Trainer like his Dad. Still, I thought I heard the commentators say he could still compete in Steeplechasing for a few years longer than the flat track. Did I understand that right?

It really was beyond a fantastic race and *the* moment of the day for me too. :D

Yep, he's getting too tall to be a jockey and will be riding Steeplechase for the next few years. That was a great story.

eta...heard Joey O'Brien already is 5'11" and 122lbs!