PDA

View Full Version : "Katarina Witt wonders where the emotion has gone"

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

kwanfan1818
11-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Most are skating only nominally to the music.

Which, back then, was a bit difficult, since the musical cuts read like someone hit the "shuffle" button.

Or get rid of levels, which would reduce the role of the tech panel almost to data input, and let the technical judges reward difficulty and punish underrotations and incorrect takeoffs with GOEs from -5 to +5? In that case, expect lots more disagreement on the GOEs.

Oh, please don't :fragile:

manhn
11-05-2011, 02:49 AM
I have to agree with La Witt. How I miss the emotional intensity of Beatrix Schuba!!!

Civic
11-05-2011, 02:50 AM
...(...and she won because she had competitive nerve of steel.)
This. Witt always made a pretty picture out on the ice so it was easy to forget what a tough and savvy competitor she was. She had the ability to skate a clean program when she needed it. That was her special gift as a competitor, imo.

nubka
11-05-2011, 04:40 AM
I have to agree with La Witt. How I miss the emotional intensity of Beatrix Schuba!!!

LOL!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CrazedIceFan
11-05-2011, 04:55 AM
The only thing that's different now is that COP makes it harder to have empty programs compared to 6.0 and there are less judging scandals.

Empty programs or empty arenas?

Coco
11-05-2011, 07:50 PM
you guys are cracking me up!

In most disciplines, with a few simple changes, I think the sky's the limit! If they can somehow level out the awarding of GOE, and not have it be a function of fame, world rank or country, the sport would be in great shape.

Men's skating is the most exciting it's ever been, imo. In part, this comes from the fantastic depth. And the depth comes directly from COP and volatility it allows for in the standings. The programs we're seeing are phenomenal! I honestly wouldn't change anything here.

On the ladies side, if they simply did to step sequences what they did to the spirals, I predict all would be right with the world within a few seasons.

Pairs
1) no credit for side by side elements performed without synchronicity
2) set one base value amount for each type of death spiral as well as one for step sequences, no levels awarded

(I suppose at this point there's no way to "De-Moskvina-fy" all the crazy stuff going on in lifts.)

Currently, people are trying to stand out through achievement of levels. When you take the levels away, I predict they will return to using choreography and emotion to try to separate themselves from the pack.

Rex
11-05-2011, 08:19 PM
What was so emotional about Witt's Carmen? It was kind of bimboesque if you ask me. But she does make some good points about COP.

Jasmar
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
But flirting is an art form… along with extreme wedgies.

Rex
11-05-2011, 11:40 PM
But flirting is an art formů along with extreme wedgies.

:lol:

Toot-toot, heyyyyyyyyy, beep beep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIzD_M3GQvM).

Alixana
11-06-2011, 01:18 AM

Me too .. :saint:

berthesghost
11-06-2011, 01:22 AM
What was so emotional about Witt's Carmen? It was kind of bimboesque if you ask me. But she does make some good points about COP.I've just come to accept that I'm like Elaine Benice trying to make it through The English Patient, when it comes to Witt's Carmen. I just don't get it, but I know that 90% of world just drools all over themselves watching it. :slinkaway

MacMadame
11-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Empty programs or empty arenas?
Honestly, competitions like Skate America have always had empty arenas.

I've just come to accept that I'm like Elaine Benice trying to make it through The English Patient, when it comes to Witt's Carmen. I just don't get it, but I know that 90% of world just drools all over themselves watching it. :slinkaway

Do 90% of the world really drool over it? I've never heard anyone drool over it. If you are out there and think it's drool-worthy, please speak up!

Cherub721
11-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I think it's drool-worthy and I guess others do too (maybe not 90%) considering they made a whole Carmen on Ice special out of it and she won an Emmy for it. But everyone's tastes differ... for example I feel like berthesghost does about Witt's Carmen with regard to Kwan's Lyra Angelica.

I don't really agree with Witt's general point though cause I find her the only interesting lady from the 80s, so it's not like times were much better then, IMO.

kwanette
11-06-2011, 07:17 PM
But flirting is an art formů along with extreme wedgies.

And spark...the ever-puke evoking spark..

mmscfdcsu
11-06-2011, 07:25 PM
I think it's drool-worthy and I guess others do too (maybe not 90%) considering they made a whole Carmen on Ice special out of it and she won an Emmy for it. But everyone's tastes differ... for example I feel like berthesghost does about Witt's Carmen with regard to Kwan's Lyra Angelica.

I love the Carmen on Ice special. It still holds up very well. However, her Olympic Carmen number left me very cold. I didn't think it was much of anything. :rolleyes: